Wobbly windscreen advice...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Kilroy

Reaction score
Ok, since nobody would answer my previous post about a GPS... Here goes another one that seems more important.

I picked up my '06 a few weeks ago and love it! The only complaint that I have is the windscreen. It's a bit flimsy while parked or puttering around town. Should I investigate why it wobbles or just keep it at 80 all the time where it works very solidly??

Seems like it's way more loose than my friends screen on his connie. Do you all have the same problem? Ideas?

................\|||/.......................

...............(@@)........................

_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________

_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|

___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|

_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____|

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm Keeping it at 80 sounds good to me....... :D

I'm no mechanic, but Since the windscreen is so easy to take off, I think I would take it off and investigate. It just might be loose or wore out screws (there made from plastic).

Ok, since nobody would answer my previous post about a GPS... Here goes another one that seems more important.
I picked up my '06 a few weeks ago and love it! The only complaint that I have is the windscreen. It's a bit flimsy while parked or puttering around town. Should I investigate why it wobbles or just keep it at 80 all the time where it works very solidly??

Seems like it's way more loose than my friends screen on his connie. Do you all have the same problem? Ideas?

................\|||/.......................

Stupid question, but did you check the screws to make sure they're tight and/or possibly stripped?

It's only a piece of plastic, so it will wiggle a bit. I cheated and drilled four holes across the bottom of the shield on my 05, 1 1/2" with a hole drill... never noticed whether it wobbled or not.... but way cheaper than a new shield with precut holes...<G>

mary

The windshield bracket was revised for 2008 to reduce the amount of slop in the system. It's possible that the wobbling that you are experiencing is normal for 2006-2007 FJRs.

Might be info you already have, but the little screws that hold the windscreen in place are made of plastic and are oh-too-easily stripped. You may want to take the screen off and investigate the screws as mentioned above, and rememeber to tighten the screws back up only just a bit to prevent jackin' 'em all out of shape.

(I was going to tell you to torque the snot out of the screws, to make sure they were as tight as you can make them. Then I remembered it's not Friday. Dammit.)

The windshield bracket was revised for 2008 to reduce the amount of slop in the system. It's possible that the wobbling that you are experiencing is normal for 2006-2007 FJRs.

I have an '07 and would have to agree that some wobble is probably 'normal'. However, an aftermarket shield might help - I put a VStream on (seems a bit heavier/thicker/sturdier than stock), and it seems to help with the 'wobble' quite a bit.

When I had the MPG gauge recall work done, the dealer left the mounting bolts for the windshield stay loose. You may want to pull the windshield off and check them.

I have an 07, and my windshield wobbles quite a bit also.

Looked once for loose hardware, but everything was nice and tight. There is just some slop in the operating mechanism.

I guess some have it, some don't.

Thanks for the suggestions. The shield and bracket are all tight, it's somewhere in the mechanism below the fairing, down inside. I guess I'll remove the shield in accordance with the bin-o-facts posts, and investivate as you all suggested.

If things are tight (so to speak) I guess "Some have it, some don't". The wobble goes away at 80 or higher... thing gets really solid! :yahoo:

Edit: Jet mechanic, are those GIII's in your avatar?

Thanks!

...............\|||/.......................

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that what you are experiencing is 'normal' windscreen wobbling on the FJR. Mine does it but I don't even notice it anymore.

I suggest you try to find another FJR owner or two in your area and compare how the screens wobble to see if it's 'normal', or yours is excessive.

Kilroy: I am with SkooterG with this one, the FJR's just have a certain amount of wobble in them compared to other bikes.

As an example, my Harley-Davidson FXD and my BMW R1150RT have absolutely no wobble in their windscreens up to 80.

In comparison, Miss Lucy Liu my 2003 FJR has a slight amount of wobble. Like the pointy headed guy above says: After you rack up more miles on your FJR you won't even notice the wobble anymore. Are you aware that you have one of the sharpest mechanical guys in our FJR community living just up Highway 97 from K-Town? FJRay in La Pine, Oregon would be able to ride your bike and let you know in a few seconds if your bike had an abnormal condition. Heck of a great guy, too!!!

There are plastic (nylon I believe) blocks that guide the mechanism arms through the aluminum channel/track. Those blocks have been known to wear over time. Unfortunately, they are a HUGE PITA to replace. The entire front of the bike has to be removed to gain access.

A very common source of "wobble" is actually binding that results in an imbalance of the mechanism. Unfortunately, again, the best fix is remove the front fairing pieces to clean and grease the tracks. If you can figure out a way to get some lithium grease into the metal tracks without removing the front fairing, that would be worth the effort IMO.

Bwwaaaaaa!! :haha: Imagine, A guy like you, tellin' someone they gotta "screw loose!" :lmaosmiley:
:nerdsmiley:

:jester:
Yes...But we're talking about a different kind of screw you jackass :wackosmiley: . Speaking of screw...How's your goat? :wubsmiley:

My Goat?? Well his butt hurts. :p

:jester:

I'll have to get with FJ Ray this summer and sport a ride with him. He'll square me away and let me know if my wobble is normal.

Still curious what others say about their screen. Maybe I have a loose screw like bustanut suggests!

jet mechanic, I was first going to guess G650's but they are so very new, what's the chance? I have a friend who A&P's for JeldWen Aviation, a local corporate aviation company here in Kfalls. They fly the Astra's, Gulfstreams, and a King Air 350. (list is definately not in order of style!) I'm in the Aviation business as well. The USAF...

Cheers,

Kilroy