Would Like Advice on MOTO GP at COTA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Stupid me, las minute as usual.

A buddy and I are heading to Moto GP at COTA. First time for both of us. He is not a procrastinator like I am so has lodging arranged for him and his wife who will fly out. They are also volunteering on the track.

I have done nothing and figure it's time!

Any advice would be appreciated. Where is a good location to get tickets and watch the race? All 3 days? Or just Sunday? Anything else I should know? And recommendations of things I should do?

TIA

Ive not been to COTA, but at other MotoGP venues, Ive got some general habits.

I think its interesting to go all three days. The first two days you can wander around, watch what you want, and generally learn about rider styles and bikes up close. Sunday I want to be plopped down in my seat intently focused on as much of each lap as I can see. Good binoculars are a plus. A compact umbrella is never a bad idea. And ear plugs. Dont forget the ear plugs. As for where to sit, in general under cover near the start finish line is where I like to sit for a race. Sometimes Ill buy tickets at two or three locations and use them during days 1and 2 to see more of the whole track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to buy General Admission tickets and watch from different spots around the track. This will be my first trip to COTA, and friends that have been there liked Turn 12, so they bought tickets there. I am camping in Beuscher State Park. It looks like I have one more spot than I need. Let me know if you want that spot. All accommodations are filling up fast. Like the man said, earplugs. Hat, water, sunscreen, sunglasses. And be ready to see some awesome racing.

For those attending send me a PM. I live in NW Austin and will be available for a rescue should you need one. Bail money carries some significant processing fees and interest. :)

I generally attend the practice day on Friday. That allows me to roam the grounds and even sit in the grandstand if I choose to.

Joe

I've been to COTA many times, once for Moto GP. It's one of the best motor sports facilities I've ever seen.

1. Wear walking shoes. Bring sunscreen and a hat. Bring ear plugs.

2. We bought our Moto GP tickets for the grandstand at turn 12 (end of the longest straight) thinking it would be a good passing zone. There was some passing there, but not much. However, our seats offered us a nice view of the bikes through a really cool section of the track. I'd sit there again.

3. Any ticket gets you general admission to just about anywhere there is NOT grandstands. Sit on the grass with a beverage and enjoy it.

4. You might as well get the 3 day pass. it's only a few bucks more than the Sunday ticket.

5. The reserve parking saves you a few bucks, but you really don't get to park anywhere closer. But if you ride the bike to the track, you can park VERY close. I can't remember, but I think that bike parking is either free or reduced price.

6. The restroom situation at COTA is stupid. Get ready to stand in line.

7. I don't care much for a $10 hot dog. We ate a hearty breakfast in Austin (great food and beer scene BTW) and brought some horse food to snack on during the day.

8. Even in April - it's hot and can be windy and dry in Texas. DRINK WATER or you will shit rocks for a week.

9. The moto GP bikes are neat, but the 250s are more competitive and are only a few seconds per lap slower. The BEST racing however is the Moto America 600 and 1000 cc events. Those riders were FLOGGING their bikes around. Dudes flat out FIGHTING for 10th place every single lap. Truthfully, I enjoyed M/A more than the Moto GP.

10. It's time for somebody to get competitive with Marquez. Rossi is done. Hopefully someone else will step up.

I've been to COTA many times, once for Moto GP. It's one of the best motor sports facilities I've ever seen.
1. Wear walking shoes. Bring sunscreen and a hat. Bring ear plugs.

2. We bought our Moto GP tickets for the grandstand at turn 12 (end of the longest straight) thinking it would be a good passing zone. There was some passing there, but not much. However, our seats offered us a nice view of the bikes through a really cool section of the track. I'd sit there again.

3. Any ticket gets you general admission to just about anywhere there is NOT grandstands. Sit on the grass with a beverage and enjoy it.

4. You might as well get the 3 day pass. it's only a few bucks more than the Sunday ticket.

5. The reserve parking saves you a few bucks, but you really don't get to park anywhere closer. But if you ride the bike to the track, you can park VERY close. I can't remember, but I think that bike parking is either free or reduced price.

6. The restroom situation at COTA is stupid. Get ready to stand in line.

7. I don't care much for a $10 hot dog. We ate a hearty breakfast in Austin (great food and beer scene BTW) and brought some horse food to snack on during the day.

8. Even in April - it's hot and can be windy and dry in Texas. DRINK WATER or you will shit rocks for a week.

9. The moto GP bikes are neat, but the 250s are more competitive and are only a few seconds per lap slower. The BEST racing however is the Moto America 600 and 1000 cc events. Those riders were FLOGGING their bikes around. Dudes flat out FIGHTING for 10th place every single lap. Truthfully, I enjoyed M/A more than the Moto GP.

10. It's time for somebody to get competitive with Marquez. Rossi is done. Hopefully someone else will step up.
Heretic.... Blasphemer.... Heathen.... Apostate....

But alas, I fear you may be correct.

Rossi was on the third step at Losail, but he was less than a second behind Dovizioso on the top step. In the 22 lap race, thats less than .04 seconds per lap.

Rossi may not win as much, but by the time others whove still raced at his age were at his age, they were riding sweep, hoping for a point.

Marquez wins can be attributed to his total lack of rational fear. I enjoy watching when Dovi beats him.

Thanks for the COTA tips hppants. This will be my first trip to that track as well. I am staying in a hotel closer to airport. I decided to rely on Lyft for transpo or maybe someone at the hotel will be going that direction and I can hitch a ride. Should be fun! Unfortunately all the pit passes were sold out months ago.

J

Hey Scoot,

Brian Boles can give you some good advice as well. He goes every year and worked the track last year or 2 years ago (not sure which).

Thanks for the COTA tips hppants. This will be my first trip to that track as well. I am staying in a hotel closer to airport. I decided to rely on Lyft for transpo or maybe someone at the hotel will be going that direction and I can hitch a ride. Should be fun! Unfortunately all the pit passes were sold out months ago.J
Consider yourself lucky about not getting pit passes. Total waste of money as you are still VERY limited on where you can go and what you can see. Lyft or the Austin local service will work fine, but you might just find someone to ride with. I think I remember a buddy of mine saying that Austin doesn't have Uber or Lyft, but their own service. Worked well, nice App, he had no issues. Google it and check it out.

Tickets - I've been twice, once grandstand seating, the other Gen Admin. I would only do Gen Admin again. So many places to view, and you can move around for each race. Of course, this is only good if you are in the physical shape to walk anywhere from 2-8 miles throughout the day. Last year we probably did close to 8 miles on Race day. Wear good walking shoes, or Hiking Boots.

Weather - Could be anything. Last year on Friday, Hot and Sunny, Saturday Cold, Rainy and Windy, Sunday Sunny, Windy but overall nice.

If you're near a corner, be prepared to move fast in case MM punts someone into the stands.
uhoh.gif

Thanks for all the advice peeps!!! Leaving early tomorrow morning. Two nights in Alpine for my first visit to Big Bend National Park, and then on to Austin. I'm really looking forward to it. The last few years have been challenging for me in many respects with little time riding. Still have some challenges going on but I am determined that this summer I am getting back to some riding! So really looking forward to the next week. COTA this week, then CFR and Alaska in June.

Based on all the excellent advice, a 3 day General Admission it is. And I went out and bought some new high $$$ walking shoes. I'm ready!

Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks for all the advice peeps!!! Leaving early tomorrow morning. Two nights in Alpine for my first visit to Big Bend National Park, and then on to Austin. I'm really looking forward to it. The last few years have been challenging for me in many respects with little time riding. Still have some challenges going on but I am determined that this summer I am getting back to some riding! So really looking forward to the next week. COTA this week, then CFR and Alaska in June.
Based on all the excellent advice, a 3 day General Admission it is. And I went out and bought some new high $$$ walking shoes. I'm ready!

Hope to see some of you there.
If'n ya be lookin for a water'n hole while in Alpine, check out da Railroad Blues bar...pretty chillin place. That is all.
bike.gif