Would like to hear pipe options first hand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwhd

Reaction score
I picked up a dent in my right muffler in Ark last month which has inspired me to move quickly on my purchase of some slip-ons. I'm sensitive to the increase in noise and would love to hear any of the FJR muffler options first hand.

Anyone in the DFW area with aftermarket pipes I could listen too? Any and all brands welcome as long as the fit the OEM FJR header.

sorry Todd, all stock over here.
Seems that way. I'm leaning toward Staintunes but would like to hear other options.
Check out BikeEffects' site RIGHT HERE. There is to be a sound bite of the LeoVince slip-ons. They fit the stock headers and require no replacement gasket...

I run the LV cans and love them.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry Todd, all stock over here.
Seems that way. I'm leaning toward Staintunes but would like to hear other options.
Check out BikeEffects' site RIGHT HERE. There is to be a sound bite of the LeoVince slip-ons. They fit the stock headers and require no replacement gasket...

I run the LV cans and love them.

Stef
Thanks Stef. I've listened to a lot of sound bites on different pipes but for me, hearing them in person is important

The LV's are on my short list but I like the fact that the Staintunes don't need periodic repacking.

Although I haven’t given much thought to buying new cans, I’m kinda with you bmwhd. Staintunes would get my vote but for a different reason than yours. I like the clean lines, (no retaining strap), of the staintunes better. So far, they’re the only brand I’ve seen that are made that way. On the negative side, they are pricey!

I'll have Blueflames mounted soon....just waiting on other parts to roll in here first.

If and when you find a new set....I may be interested in your stockers.

D&D is in Texes. That should be a plus for you.

Two big conciderations for D&D.

1. They are price competitive.

2. There is a free PC3 map floating around, specifically for them.

Holeshot (very popular)

1. A little quieter, if you buy the street baffle version. I have not put them side by side, but own the D&Ds and have ridden with a couple Holeshot bikes before getting the D&Ds.

2. There is also a free Holeshot map floating around.

Once you put on the cans, your gonna want the power commander to smooth things out an take care of decel backfiring and get to the power you just tapped. A free map may save you a couple hundred bucks of dyno tuning.

I have not seen maps for many other brands. I definitely have not seen any for Staintune.

(although one of the available maps may work fine, it is a crap shoot, or if you post someone might send you one)

Other players:

Two Brothers has the best looks. link

Muzzy sponsored the EOM and donated a set of cans. That makes them a great supplier.

I seems they took care of everyone when they miss fired on the pipe bend of the gen 1 full system.

Got to like a company that takes responibility.

Leo Vince

Blue Flames - already list above, have great looks.

Thanks guys. Lot's of good info.

I've got a Muzzy can on my KLX and love it but even with their "quiet" core, it's too loud for LD riding. I wonder how loud their FJR cans are?

The D&D shop is not far from my house, wonder if they do drive ins?

I've known several folks with Staintunes that didn't need to compensate with a PCIII or equivalent (thus the brand marketing ;-) )

D&D has a web site, but it's FUBAR'd. They are missing things they carry still (FJR stuff for example). It's linked from my page (previously posted). The FJR is pretty quiet even with the loudest cans because the cat/con is there to mitigate things.

I have the Leo Vince aluminum slip-on's on my '05 and they sound great. Great tone and look good but not LOUD. If you take the baffles out they are noticebly louder but I leave them in.

And they look good.

All I've ever heard about D&D and experienced is they are just LOUD - lot's of people take them back off cause they are too much.

All I've ever heard about D&D and experienced is they are just LOUD - lot's of people take them back off cause they are too much.
Not on the FJR. The cat/con keeps it from getting too loud. I had the D&Ds on at SFO this year (with nearly 3 years of use on them). Other than the throttle's public "stumble" in front of the world while the bike was cold (yes I am taking it in for the TPS recall), I never heard anyone comment that they were too loud.

linkMuzzy sponsored the EOM and donated a set of cans. That makes them a great supplier.

I seems they took care of everyone when they miss fired on the pipe bend of the gen 1 full system.

Got to like a company that takes responibility.

Leo Vince

Blue Flames - already list above, have great looks.
They didn't take care of me.

I had to bring my pipe to Yoshimura to have it fixed. It cost me $250.00

After months of promises and not returning my phone calls, they basically told me to pound sand.

I will never buy anything from Muzzy again.

Hey,

If you're still interested, I have Holeshots on my 04 you could listen to. I live on the east side (near Mesquite) but I ride into Dallas 4 days a week. Email me if interested.

Vince