Would you leave your bike at the airport?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR1300

Reaction score
I got to catch a plain tomorrow, considering riding my bike. Packing is not an issue, only be gone a couple days. My concern is parking at the airport parking lot. I have to park in the economy lot for in order to get paid back. I just want it to be all right when I get back. Just wondering what everybody else thought.

I have left my old truck and would leave my car but doubt I would leave my FJR. If my FJR were stock I might but my insurance wouldn't cover all my farkles.

Which airport? At PHL there are all manner of private lots near the airport that seem to have good security, which cost the same or less than the economy parking offered by the airport itself. They take you to the terminal and pick you up in a van.

-Uwe-

If you have to, use a full cover and a good cable lock through the wheel and rest of the bike, and/or a disk lock.

I'd suggest you check out the Mass Transit for the area first though.

I'd also see if the company will spring for cab fare to the airport and home again when you return in liue of economy parking fees.

Good luck.

Which airport? At PHL there are all manner of private lots near the airport that seem to have good security, which cost the same or less than the economy parking offered by the airport itself. They take you to the terminal and pick you up in a van.
-Uwe-

Dulles airport in VA

It's gonna be about a 1 hour and 15 minute ride. I can take my truck, but don't want to... gets about 15 MPG, I'll get paid for the mileage, I would much rather ride the bike. There's a long stretch of US15 S that is 2 lanes and not many chances to pass. I always get stuck behind Grandma.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way would I leave mine at an airport. Don't want it parked outside any longer than it needs to be and don't trust airport parking lots for security.

No way!

If you have full coverage I would leave it in a heartbeat. Just think, if it dissapears then you have yourself a nice down payment on a brand new '07.

I fly frequently and a lot of times for day trips on the East Coast. I checked with the manager of the remote parking service I use at the Atlanta Airport and he lets me park right up by the building where there is someone all day/night. I park there on average about 15-18 days a month so they were very accomodating. So far no issues.

I would be careful parking in the general parking areas of most major airports. Late nights those lots are like a ghost town.

JW

If I could leave the bike locked to something next to the pay-station I'd be willing to leave the bike at an airport. At BWI you could get away with this. HOWEVER, I know the economy lots at Dulles (IAD) pretty well and this doesn't exist there. If you were to lock to a bus shelter or otherwise outside of the marked parking spots to be within sight of the parking attendants, I would expect you'd also get a ticket. IAD actually has pretty good security coverage of their vast economy lots and my old Explorer still got broken into once. You could park in the new garages and maybe get close enough for an attendant to see the bike, but two days parking would probably be the same as the gas for your truck plus paying for economy parking.

Have you called SuperShuttle?

Bob

I got to catch a plain tomorrow, considering riding my bike. Packing is not an issue, only be gone a couple days. My concern is parking at the airport parking lot. I have to park in the economy lot for in order to get paid back. I just want it to be all right when I get back. Just wondering what everybody else thought.
Simple for me...no way.

Nope. ( sort of like a + Gunny :D )

Cars get scratched and dented and stolen from airport lots all the time. I would never leave my bike there unless it was being watched by someone. Even then, people change with different shifts and the day guy that said he'd keep an eye on your bike won't be at night when something bad is more likely to happen.

I park at dfw airport every work day....of course, I'm in the employee parking lot and I'm only here for 12 hours. If it's regular people parking, I'd say no....if it's employee parking go ahead.

I park at dfw airport every work day....of course, I'm in the employee parking lot and I'm only here for 12 hours. If it's regular people parking, I'd say no....if it's employee parking go ahead.
I work at Sea-Tac and park there all the time (grave shift), but we have dedicated places for MCs both employee & passenger.

Jim

I work at Sea-Tac and park there all the time (grave shift), but we have dedicated places for MCs both employee & passenger.

Jim
Ditto, at Tampa.

Just a heads up, here at Tampa. Several of my co-workers have learned, when they were coming in late to work and want to avoid the time consuming shuttle ride from the employee lot, they could not use the regular parking garage. It seeems the parking garage here is run by a private contractor and prohibits motorcycles. Something about the automated toll gates not being suitable for motorcycles. No such restriction is in place for the long term parking lot however.