Wrong Way to do Oil and Filter change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UHOH

Reaction score
Tri-Cities, WA (the dry east side of mtns)
... so must have enrolled in Stupidity 101, absentmindedly. Did I really do this?

Change the oil and filter. How can I goof that up with years of practice?

So after coming back from a ride around town, put oil pan underneath the FJR,

drained out the old oil, old filter off, new filter on, got that gallon jug of of JASO MA oil and poured it in.

Ah, good; that should even out just below full, since capacity is a gallon plus.

Feeling pretty good; another task just about done.

"Hey, what's the drain plug doing there next to the oil pan? Like on the garage floor?"

I look underneath and the new oil has been/is just pouring out of the drain hole. Forgot to put the drain plug back in!!

Yeesh. Well, got it in just before the oil pan was to overflow with old and new oil mix.

So I wipe off hands and arm and go for a fresh supply of oil. Well, at least it wasn't $13/qt synthetic.

Just want to give everyone a chance to feel superior. Have at it... :big_boss:

actually, I think it's healthy to be able to laugh at one's situations occasionally.

Never done anything that stupid...oops...maybe I have. I've posted lame ass ride reports multiple times as well.

Just consider your first gallon an oil rinse...the oil version of the FJR blowjob. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
... so must have enrolled in Stupidity 101, absentmindedly. Did I really do this?

drained out the old oil, old filter off, new filter on, got that gallon jug of of JASO MA oil and poured it in.

Ah, good; that should even out just below full, since capacity is a gallon plus.

"Hey, what's the drain plug doing there next to the oil pan? Like on the garage floor?"

I look underneath and the new oil has been/is just pouring out of the drain hole. Forgot to put the drain plug back in!!

Yeesh. Well, got it in just before the oil pan was to overflow with old and new oil mix.

So I wipe off hands and arm and go for a fresh supply of oil. Well, at least it wasn't $13/qt synthetic.

actually, I think it's healthy to be able to laugh at one's situations occasionally.
I did something similar with my truck, always feel a bit better after reading posts like this ... thanks. But, I have to say Im not sure if I would have the guts to post up.

Dumbass!

I ain't never done that. I am feeling superior! :p

Never mind that time last November. Unlike you I was smart enough to put my drain plug back in. Finger tight. Found out about that 45 miles later when I happened to glance in my mirror and see that my FJR was leaving a smoke screen that James Bond would be jealous of as I was riding 75mph in the far left lane (of four) of a Phoenix freeway. Yeah, 4+ quarts of oil draining out at 75mph makes QUITE the mess.

Mucho thanks to vectervp1 who drove up with a new bolt from his FJR's final drive (top fill bolt) and a gallon of oil and some tools. Then followed me to the nearest self-serve car wash making sure I didn't fall down and go boom on my oil covered rear tire.

Did I mention what a freaking mess it was? Oil EVERYWHERE.

I used to work with a fellow who was changing oil in one of our dump trucks. He was bullshitting away while refilling until he looked down and fresh/dirty oil was around his boots! Man...we got a great laugh out of that one. What a mess to clean up!

Don't sweat it. Kinda like falling over at some point, that's one of those "them that has and them that will" mistakes, you dumbass.

Signed

Fellow Dumbass

Remember when you couldn't get the really good dope until harvest season in the fall? Yeah, me too. Apparently, Washington benefits from a year round supply of hydroponically grown indoor bud nowadays, though. Otherwise, it's gotta be a case of early onset oldheimers disease. :p

At least you didn't overflow the oil catch pan and have to clean up that mess. :)

Don't call it a mistake, just call it a FLUSH. Now that thing is really clean on the inside. :)

Don't go out riding with those brains! :p

BTDT, maybe not to that extent but.... :dribble:

You'll be hating this thread tomorrow.

At least now your lower end is cleaner since you "flushed it". :rofl:

Years ago, I had a 66 Dodge Van that did the same thing: all by itself. On a trip to Florida, I took along a case of oil. It only lasted 360 miles. I kid you not, it got 14 mpg and 30 miles per quart of oil. It was followed by a cloud of smoke just like the van in that old Cheech and Chong movie. People would drive by and laugh at me. I was young, stupid, and broke: it was all I had. I don't know if I spent more on oil or on gas on that trip. It got me to Florida, but talk about going through the oil!!!!!

Gary

darksider #44

But there WAS that other time with the brake caliper bolts!
Pfffft!

Statute of limitations has expired on that.
Ah, but you DO remember! Isn't there a few pictures of that floating around...out amongst the One Night In Paris videos? :dribble:
Well, it's hardly fair to torment Skooter with that caliper bolt thing and not let the rest of us in on any dumbassedness he may have committed. I mean, how else can we judge his response in this thread?

Years ago, I had a 66 Dodge Van that did the same thing: all by itself. On a trip to Florida, I took along a case of oil. It only lasted 360 miles.
Sounds like a Corvair that pulled into the full service gas station I worked in around 1971 -- by the time I'd pumped the gas and he'd driven off, I had a substantial oil puddle to clean up under where his engine had been.

Years ago when I was working rotating shifts I did the same thing on a car, without the drain pan. New oil all over the garage. Lots of expletives mentioned. And at that time being poor I didn't have another ride to drive over and get new oil. Had to walk to the darned store.

Just consider your activity a good engine flush. Many years ago as a kid on the farm I remember my Grandfather doing a kerosene flush in engines before doing rebuild's of motors. When I look back on it running a motor for a few minutes probably did way more damage than anything else, but who knows?

I used to work with a fellow who was changing oil in one of our dump trucks. He was bullshitting away while refilling until he looked down and fresh/dirty oil was around his boots! Man...we got a great laugh out of that one. What a mess to clean up!
I can tell you for a fact that a DT466 holds 32 qt and it takes a long time to clean it up.