Wrong Way to do Oil and Filter change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife standing there with the rope in her hand at the dock and the boat under the dock.
That must have been quite the sight! Did you scream at her, 'WTF did you do to my boat?' :lol:

I love this thread. I am not feeling quite as bad about my shitting out 4 quarts of oil in the HOV lane of the northbound Loop 101 in Scottsdale. Nor some 'alleged' caliper bolts. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh man -- who hasn't had that kind of H-W conversation?!? Well, maybe not with a submerged boat as a backdrop, but . . . :lol:

I love this thread. I am not feeling quite as bad about my shitting out 4 quarts of oil in the HOV lane of the northbound Loop 101 in Scottsdale. Nor some 'alleged' caliper bolts. :p
Don't you just worry my little spinning coneheaded friend....there WILL be an inquisition to the bring the truth out into the open where it belongs!

Here’s One

Why I'm a Bike guy and not a boat guy….

Bought a boat…. Bought the stuff you need with a boat. Preservers horn fire extinguisher ect.

Pull the boat out to the lake for it’s madden voyage. Back it in get it off the trailer…

Give the wife the tie line to hold while I move the truck and trailer away from the launch and park.

Walk back and the boat sank. Wife standing there with the rope in her hand at the dock and the boat under the dock.

Did you know that you have to put the drain plug back in BEFORE you put the boat in water.. :eek:

:eek:
Oh yeah? I hooked my boat and trailer up to the 4Runner to head off to the lake for some fishing. Put the boat in the water. The dock was crowded with a bunch of other guys launching their boats. I had one foot on the dock and one on the gunnel. The boat moved from the dock slightly as the thought came into my head.."damn, did I remember to put the drain plug in?" In that split second of indecision with an ever widening gap between dock and boat I suddenly and dramatically found myself under the water looking up at the surface from below. Before resurfacing I remembered about all of the other guys who were up there that no doubt saw the whole thing. I considered swimming underwater to a more secluded location or maybe trying to breath through a reed until nightfall, but knew that I couldn't hold my breath long enough tp pull it off. I resurfaced to all of the shocked and laughing faces. I was torn between telling them I was looking for fish in the area or using Pee Wee Hermans line of "I meant to do that." By the way, my hat stayed on my head through the whole thing, however it was now a bit more droopy. And....I HAD remembered to install the drain plug afterall.

boats...crap...ah, late 70's model Sterncraft with Merc inboard/outboard with chevy straight six

ah, let's just say the robe on the hand crank winch is not at all as strong as the turnbuckle attachment meant to be hooked up after the boat is on the trailer and all back on dry land...the friggin rope is not strong enough to hold at the first stop sign "jackrabbit" start a few blocks from the boat launch

My brother Leo and I spent several weekends together stripping, shellacking, cleaning and fixing up an old wooden boat. Leo got a great deal on the boat and trailer. He invited me on the maiden voyage in Plymouth (MA) harbor. A bit choppy but his daughter and I had fun sitting back as he drives along. Lucky it was choppy and he stayed in the harbor. I looked down at the stern and there is water 2-3 inches deep on deck and the stern is riding low. "Uh, Leo? Is it supposed to do that?" All I got was "!@#$%^&*!!" and "That's why it's been sluggish!" We barely made it back to the launch and got it out of the water. Three ribs in the hull were cracked -- never did see that.

A friend stopped by my house one day and asked how much oil goes in a car. Bill is not mechanically inclined but had decided to change the oil a few days before in his Honda Civic. He had filled it up so that he could see the oil, but wasn't sure where to stop. Since the filler cap is in the top of the rocker cover, he had added extra gallons of oil to the engine. We drained all the oil and started fresh. I explained that he should only add enough oil so that it was at the top mark on the dipstick. Bill said that explained why he was blowing blue smoke out of his tail pipe. I am surprised that he didn't blow every gasket in the engine, but the care ran fine for years afterwards.

definitely a stupid move. now move it to recurring pointless threads and stop wasting this space! :rolleyes:

How about a happy ending? I've owned one of those walk-behind 5hp string mowers for 8 years. I always paid a guy to change the oil and clean the air filter and such each Spring. Always got charged $50. Last year I got fed up with that and despite not having a manual decided to figure it out. Got everything lubed that moved and swapped air filters. For the life of me I could not find the oil drain bolt. Nothing looked like the FJR or KLR drain bolts (my only experience). I figured I never put many miles on the thing so I ran a second season on the same oil. Nothing broke.

Last week same thing, only after tearing apart and undoing every fastener I could find, did I figure out a funny indented bolt was sitting right near the bottom of the oil fill tube. Wasn't cut for a hex key. My 3/8" extension fit in the square hole. Hmmm.... It was frozen, but some WD40 soaked for an hour loosened it up and voila! The funniest damn oil drain plug I never did see. Come to think of it it may have been 3 years since that oil was changed. Hope I put enough new oil in.

How about a happy ending? I've owned one of those walk-behind 5hp string mowers for 8 years. I always paid a guy to change the oil and clean the air filter and such each Spring. Always got charged $50. Last year I got fed up with that and despite not having a manual decided to figure it out. Got everything lubed that moved and swapped air filters. For the life of me I could not find the oil drain bolt. Nothing looked like the FJR or KLR drain bolts (my only experience). I figured I never put many miles on the thing so I ran a second season on the same oil. Nothing broke.

Last week same thing, only after tearing apart and undoing every fastener I could find, did I figure out a funny indented bolt was sitting right near the bottom of the oil fill tube. Wasn't cut for a hex key. My 3/8" extension fit in the square hole. Hmmm.... It was frozen, but some WD40 soaked for an hour loosened it up and voila! The funniest damn oil drain plug I never did see. Come to think of it it may have been 3 years since that oil was changed. Hope I put enough new oil in.

Some of the new lawn mowers don't have a drain bolt. You have to flip it over and let it drain out the fill tube.

Or this post is another story for the thread in the making...

Oh yeah? I hooked my boat and trailer up to the 4Runner to head off to the lake for some fishing. Put the boat in the water. The dock was crowded with a bunch of other guys launching their boats. I had one foot on the dock and one on the gunnel. The boat moved from the dock slightly as the thought came into my head.."damn, did I remember to put the drain plug in?" In that split second of indecision with an ever widening gap between dock and boat I suddenly and dramatically found myself under the water looking up at the surface from below. Before resurfacing I remembered about all of the other guys who were up there that no doubt saw the whole thing. I considered swimming underwater to a more secluded location or maybe trying to breath through a reed until nightfall, but knew that I couldn't hold my breath long enough tp pull it off. I resurfaced to all of the shocked and laughing faces. I was torn between telling them I was looking for fish in the area or using Pee Wee Hermans line of "I meant to do that." By the way, my hat stayed on my head through the whole thing, however it was now a bit more droopy. And....I HAD remembered to install the drain plug afterall.

That's called a "split shot sinker" around here. You should try it while you're holding the outboard motor in your arms...

CrabbyJack

Thanks, I feel better now. Can't wait until I change the the FJR's oil for the first time now. I'd make a check list but I've had experiences with them.

Dennis

I've had a similar situation while changing the oil in my truck. Was changing the oil in my pick up at one of the JD dealerships I work at and they have the auto fill deals, just set how many GALLONS you want, stick the hose in the fill of the engine, pull the lever and it fills it. I leave it, start putting away tools etc. Well, apparently I did not read the meter correctly and figured it was quarts. Amazingly a 5.9L Cummins can hold 12 gallons of oil and not spew it out the valve cover. Figured it out before I started it, so no harm no foul, other than a VERY expensive oil change.

Oh yeah, been there done that with the drain pans with a cover and a hole in the center. Luckily I noticed it quickly and had my knife on me and stabbed about 15 more holes in the top of that cover before it became a mess!

should I throw my LSU college educated bud who was kind enough to let me tag along on bike trips in his diesel powered luxury Winnebago with our bikes towed on my trailer...

one day, he pumped 10-15 gallons of gasoline into his tank...I believe the confusion was even though most auto stations have separate pumps with green covered nozzles in the islands and black covers on the adjacent gas nozzles,

friggin BP has green on it's gasoline nozzles when admittently our brains equated green to diesel.

oops...he did realize his folly before topping off or starting up