• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Mine died. Don't want to upgrade yet. If you've upgraded and have your old Zumo 550 just laying around collecting dust, I'm your huckleberry....
punk.gif

D

What died on yours Don? My touch screen went bad so I bought a new digitizer/touch screen and I shipped it to a guy down in the Seattle shit hole and he installed it for fifty or sixty bucks. Did the same for my 2730.

When mine died, I contacted Garmin support. For $75, I sent them my unit and the shipped me a refurbished like new unit. I was able to keep my lifetime map updates and everything! I thought that was a great deal.

When mine died, I contacted Garmin support. For $75, I sent them my unit and the shipped me a refurbished like new unit. I was able to keep my lifetime map updates and everything! I thought that was a great deal.
Garmin quite doing the 550 that is why I bought the repair parts and sent it to the guy down in Seattle.

Mine will not fire up.. nothing. Plug it into the computer and nothing. Pulled battery it's at charge. Call Garmin, they have discontinued support due to lack of parts.

Awesome! Mr. Mogan is a stand-up and honest man. Even delivered more than agreed to, Thank You.

Well done, sir!
punk.gif

Don

Mine will not fire up.. nothing. Plug it into the computer and nothing. Pulled battery it's at charge. Call Garmin, they have discontinued support due to lack of parts.
Interesting. The upper left button on mine came off last September, and Garmin sent me a newly refurbished one, with the only cost to me being the shipping to them. I was impressed, to say the least.

They don't do that any more. Now they will give you some credit towards a newer model zumo 66x or later, but they have quit supporting the zumo 450/550. Too bad... it's still the best motorcycle specific GPS they ever made, IMO.

Don and I exchanged PMs about his old 550. Looks like it's a goner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I have to admit I was surprised, Fred. And it was only 5 months ago, so they must have just made the change in their policy. The fix for mine would have been pretty easy; just replacing that rubber like skin, but I couldn't find a place to buy the skin.

Don, try a hard boot with it plugged in or in the cradle push the upper left button and the lower right at the same time, hold for 5 seconds, release it should come on.

Nope. Been there, done that, no joy. Tried pulling the battery and plugging in to USB or cradle (which eliminates the battery as culprit) no joy. Tried all the tricks there are to try. This one is a goner.

two more steps to try -

1. remove battery, short terminals, reinstall known good battery or use powered cradle

2. disassemble and look for things obvious...

prowler246

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Zumo 550 for sale. New battery just installed.

Does not include power cable or motorcycle mount.

$300 shipped in the US.

Don bought another zumo 550 from a fellow forum member. I'm happy to report that after he plugged the battery from the new unit into the old one it fired right up! It was just a bad battery it seems and now he has two functional units.