Yamaha Announces 2011 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for color, head to south america and they have this as well as black...
Makes you wonder why they don't offer these options here ???

galeriaProd_56.jpg
You haven't figured that out yet??? We kicked their ass in WWII and they are still paying us back.

Becuase Yamaha didn't substantially change the FJR this year, my 2006AE, with which I'm very happy, didn't lose any resale value because it isn't obsolete.

I'm not seeing a cause for complaint here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'll be riding my 03 until I see a significant change, and then I will weigh the benefits.

Integrated turn signal wasn’t worth the extra 10k when I bought my used 03 with 23k miles for 5k last week.

I’m a happy camper, though color would be nice. I think the FJR would look great in Canary yellow.

Little disappointing, but give me time to put my pennies away for when there is a change.

As a side note, the prior owner put heated grips on the bike…lol.

You're stalking me....stalker stalker...lol...

No, I left them on...I swear, you go to buy one reflector and...

Another side note is that I've not even seen another FJR around here in GA. I'm sure they're here, but not popular here. Some dealerships don't even carry them here. Odd.

I have folks coming up to my 03 asking "what is that"?

You haven't figured that out yet??? We kicked their ass in WWII and they are still paying us back.
It's not Yamaha Corporate in Japan making all these decisions for you -- it's all your American buddies at the Importer in Cypress CA who won't give you anything but an emasculated (compared with R.O.W.) FJR. :angry:

...Another side note is that I've not even seen another FJR around here in GA. I'm sure they're here, but not popular here. Some dealerships don't even carry them here. Odd.
I know there are a lot of northern Georgia riders here and on other FJR boards...there is an owners map on this board. I'm sure you'll meet 'em sooner or later.

Dear Yamaha,

No new color, few new features, no new purchase for this rider, who's been waiting for something novel from you in the FJR line. It's not like you've got something enduring like the Porshe 911 or something. You're getting serious competition from some other great bikes. Something really needs to change. Sticking with my vintage '05, but bored with your new offerings.

Barry

I'm not sure what everyone is griping about. The bike is awesome the way it is. Easy to maintain and for the most part bullet proof, burns 87 dino with better MPGs than the competition, actually has under seat storage, actually has low and high end torque, a real key for the ignition, etc. etc. list goes on.

There are things that would be nice like TPMS, handlebar switch gear for scrolling through modes, but for me the bike's pros far outweigh the cons.

Sticking with my vintage '05
But that's the point. Are people dumping their FJRs in droves for these newer, supposedly hotter, bikes? What's the potential market for a GenIII in a down economy? A few thousand units? Your FJR is so good that you're not abandoning it, and it's a Gen I. And if you did abandon the FJR, someone would buy your 05, taking away a potenial GenIII sale. And the current bike's so good, how much better will a GenIII be? What's the ROI here? When it comes down to writing that check, is a GenIII really going to be $5,000-$10,000 better than your 05?

Development, production, and distribution costs in the tens of millions to sell a few thousand bikes? Makes no sense economically.

With Yamaha closing factories because sales are down, do you really think they'd leave money on the table if they thought they could generate profits from a GenIII?

Good weather's going away soon for a lot of you. You know what you have to do.

:clapping:

Yet, Yamaha continues to roll out new Star cruisers just about every year. If they have a few of those new 1700 V-Max motors laying around I'd love to see one stuffed into a new FJR chassis.

I know, I know ...there goes the fuel mileage, too heavy, bla, bla, bla ... but some of us buy motorcycles just to play on.

:rolleyes:

-R

I wonder if they addressed the spider ground problem with the 2011, anyone know? Are there anymore re-call/fixes for the 2011?
No. They did not. They haven't even acknowledged officially that a problem exists.

I suppose that nothing will happen until the NHTSA gets the message that there is a problem that can impact on life safety.

While as of yesterday, when they called me to update me the Canadian equivalent, called Industry Canada is about to crank up the pressure on Yamaha Canada because they got a new report out of Montreal last week and Yamaha has been stone-walling them.

IC has told me that the American authorities have stated that they have no interest in pursuing Yamaha at this time.

QUOTE (SkooterG @ Sep 1 2010, 07:23 PM) QUOTE (Ignacio @ Sep 1 2010, 02:01 PM) QUOTE (Gerry.GEG @ Sep 1 2010, 01:45 PM) Way to underwhelm Yamaha. They are going to loose ground quickly. Some bike designs are moving way too fast and they aren't keeping up.

What designs? Which ones compete with the FJR? I haven't seen any changes to the ST, Concours, or others in the past few years. Maybe the new VFR counts a little.

Uhhhh.......... C14? K1300GT? VFR? SprintGT?

Think your off on this one my friend. Not that the FJR still isn't competitive as is, but several models have upped the anty in the last 2 years with significant upgrades.

VFR1200 and SprintGT both hit a different point in Sport-Touring tradeoff curve, somewhat closer to sport.

I happen to like that point, but many American ST riders want their bikes more like a full-on tourer.

BMW's K13GT is just way too much $$. I'm sure it's a great bike and all, but why spend so much more money for essentially the same thing?

I think the king of the FJR's class, from a new technology vs price point standpoint has to be the Connie. Problem is, it is loaded with electronic crap that is going to cause reliability problems and the shop tards aren't going to fix easily.

Yes, the FJR is still competitive as is. With all the good new features they included in the Gen1 to Gen2 "upgrade"
rolleyes.gif
, I think the more they just leave it alone, and hopefully address the growing, known issues list, the better.

Could they give us some new paint colors for 2011?

I suppose. But what kind of a dork would upgrade their bike just to get a different color?
unsure.gif
a dork with more money than brains.

I'm with the rest of the guys here, I sit here on the sidelines - loving my Gen 1 '05 with only 20K miles but still seem to have the Gen 3 in my peripheral vision.

No updates just prolongs my love affair :D

Nothing has really come to market that competes, which would make me want to abandon my sexy babe in blue...

I am certain they will change to the Gen 3 very soon. I now have my Russell seat, risers, suspension, dash panel, GPS, CB, and a bunch of other farkles added. I know the bike is never done but mine is where I want it to be so Yamaha should be releasing a new FJR soon that will not accept any of my mods. I am already planning for a low milage, last year Gen 2 when mine gets to be high milage. It only has 88,675 on it so it is just broken in good. But, like everything else I have owned, as soon as I get it almost done a newer and better model comes down the road.