Yamaha sucks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha has a long history of taking a year or two off in their MotoGP bike development and their 2017 and 2018 bikes seem to be a step backwards from 2016.

Rossi’s statement last weekend that Yamaha could fix the problem (probably related to electronics) if they really wanted to had to be embarrassing to Yamaha and may have led to Yamaha’s public apology to their riders for not giving them a competitive bike.

At this point Yamaha is the third best bike in MotoGP and may end the season without a win which is a sad way for Rossi to end his career.

And what's with Vinales??? At least he made through the warm-up lap in Austria before retreating to the rear of the pack. Is it totally the machine, or is it between the ears... or both.

While Lorenzo has been making a charge up the standings since mid-year, Vinales has been nose-diving as if he's riding a cruiser on the track.

14th to 6th was a nice ride for Rossi... but no match for the grunt of the Ducatis...

Rossi signed a 2 year contract, he will be around until 2020. Racing moto GP at 41...what a stud. Not sure he has one more championship left in him but if Yamaha would step up their game at least he would have a chance.

We can count on plenty of yellow smoke around the European tracks for a couple more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, could it get much worse? At least Jorgeboy put Marc-e-Marc in second at Austria.
I like seeing Marc get beat to make things interesting.

Like his riding style or not at least Marc has some personality. Jorge is like a dead fish.

You know the announcers keep talking about what a disastrous year Yamaha is having.

Well they still have the 2nd, 5th and 7th place in the Championship standing.

2015 was a great year, 2016 and 2017 were similar to 2018 standings wise.

I watched all the Free Practice and Qualifying. I think it was FP2 where Rossi's bike completely konked out. Electronics. He got towed back by a scooter and they quickly threw up the barriers to keep out the lookyloos. Vinales came in right about that same time with issues. It seems there is some monkeying pre or post ECU with Honda and Ducati that Yamaha is playing with as well. It didn't work obviously. I'm not sure what they are really doing. But Rossi did mention it a week or so ago after the previous race. As Stoner said a few weeks back, if Rossi was on a competitive bike he would be leading the championship.

Ya know, Rossis birth name was Rossikovich.

I think that Rossi could win another championship or two if he were on a Honda or Duke... maybe even a Suzuki. He would likely have a couple of more now had he not jumped to Ducati years ago.

I watched all the Free Practice and Qualifying. I think it was FP2 where Rossi's bike completely konked out. Electronics. He got towed back by a scooter and they quickly threw up the barriers to keep out the lookyloos. Vinales came in right about that same time with issues. It seems there is some monkeying pre or post ECU with Honda and Ducati that Yamaha is playing with as well. It didn't work obviously. I'm not sure what they are really doing. But Rossi did mention it a week or so ago after the previous race. As Stoner said a few weeks back, if Rossi was on a competitive bike he would be leading the championship.
Has he not been on a competitive bike for any of the last 9 years? I'm pretty sure he and Lorenzo were on the same bikes in 2012 and 2015 when Lorenzo was MotoGP champion and Rossi was not. By the end of this year, Lorenzo and Marquez will have between them 8 of the last 9 championships (only other was Stoner in 2011 on a bike Rossi couldn't win on) so I'd say there's a solid and sizeable body of data to suggest that Rossi has been at best the 3rd best rider for at least the past 9 years.

I suspect you may be right Russ, but he is the number favorite among fans around the world. Rossi brings so much more to the sport than another rider has done for a long time. It would be nice to see the old man school the kids with one more championship but with Yamaha dropping the electric ball so to speak I doubt we will see that.

Rossi is a stud muffin, (My cougar wife likes him, 'n we named our cat after him.) butt Yamaha does suck. They've always been the slowest bikes, butt handled best, and now they're the slowest bikes, 'n handling is the same or worse; on hot, or cold days. (Wut's up wit dat?)

That 'n the fact that the Spanish own DORNA means that dirty little prick, will continue to to win championships. Hope whore hey spanks his ass next year. Or better yet, Yamaha steps up 'n builds a proper bike? The R1 is nice, but can't compete w/ the V4s 'n V5s.

I cannot see having Marquez and Lorenzo on the same team going well. Marquez is accustomed to a teammate who accepted being second fiddle. That is not going to be the case with Lorenzo.

I'm a big fan of Marquez. He's won 4 of the last 5 championships and has this year's title well within reach. He always rides at the limit and he has a great personality. Lorenzo always looks like his leathers are bunching up.

It will be interesting to see the two of them on the same equipment.

I watched all the Free Practice and Qualifying. I think it was FP2 where Rossi's bike completely konked out. Electronics. ...
I watched the sighting lap at Silverstone. All electronics would have got filled with water.

(Click on image for larger view)

Story here.

You have to ask what Yamaha are up to with the moto GP bikes of Valentino and Maverick when we can have Fabio on a non works bike come third in Austria. Maybe Valentino is past it at 40yrs old although he is still a great rider but at his limit maybe? . Maverick has all the ability in the world as we have seen previous but appears slow in the first half of most races but normally makes a top 10 finish but is somewhat inconsistant.

Honda.... Well they just took the 2018 bike away and have thrown some more horsepower at it to compete against the top end of the Ducati's job done. So why have the slow Yamaha's not been able to do the same you must ask??

Certainly got me mystified

Gazza