Yamaha Tenere 700 XT700Z. Photo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish someone would build a mid-weight bike, Sport Touring and dual sport, with a shaft drive. I just spent two hours cleaning and adjusting the chain on Spousal Unit's bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 hours? It takes all of 30 minutes to do my wife's bike. Kevin, what else are you doing in that 2 hours, hmmmm? :whistle:

I've ridden the FZ07 and I loved that engine/bike. This is worthy of some really serious consideration.

2 hours? It takes all of 30 minutes to do my wife's bike. Kevin, what else are you doing in that 2 hours, hmmmm?
whistle.gif
I'm including, putting the bike on the lift, cleaning the chain, the spokes, the rims, the swing arm and cleaning the spatter of the Jesse bags and other places. I bought her some Yamaha chain lube and the stuff is terrible. It goes on as a foam but becomes a thick greasey mess that attracts dirt and gets slung all over. She's used a teflon spray before and it kept the chain and bike very clean, but did not seem to last long. Been doing some research and have ordered some Tirox Synthetic Wax Chain Lube with Teflon. Dries quickly on the chain and does not attract dirt. Good review here: https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tirox-chain-wax/review.htm. We'll see how it works, Sorry for the hijack John.

Wet weight of 397 pounds makes it more than a hundred pounds lighter than Honda's new Africa Twin. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it is ever available in the USA.

I think a drive shaft would be nice too. It's just cleaner and easier. It just is.

I like it BUT I have to ask how it will compare to a KLR650? What advantage will it have over what some have called the worlds best all around motorcycle?

I like it BUT I have to ask how it will compare to a KLR650? What advantage will it have over what some have called the worlds best all around motorcycle?
Good point. The Kawa is a bit heavier, but it is inexpensive and has been around long enough that there is a lot of aftermarket stuff for it and a long history of technical information. Yamaha will have to price the Tenere 700 competitively if they sell it in the USA.

I'd like to check out the new Husky TE701 - same motor as the KTM 690 but supposedly a much better suspension setup. The KTM weighs in at 315 lbs dry so its no lightweight, but to me makes a lot more sense than the 500lb+ monsters that seem to be so appealing.

Advantage? How about 35 or so more horsepower and 15 - 20 + lb/ft torque in a lighter package?

What he said. And, All the Pannier's etc on from the factory.

I road a KLR Thumper before I bought my Wee-Strom, not much performance there, thump thump thump

A shaft, not likely on this platform, would be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just trying to come to grips with the idea that anyone thinks the KLR is the best at anything, let alone the world's best all around motorcycle.