Yamaha XT Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithe68

Reaction score
Years ago I had an '84 XT600, really miss that bike. Recently, I started looking for a bigger dual purpose bike for running errands, a little bit of offroad riding, camping off the bike, etc. and was surprised to see a lack of that 600cc class bike from Yamaha. The other 3 Japanese companies have a 650cc bike and Yamaha has 3 different 660cc bikes outside of the US. Anyone heard any rumors of Yamaha bringing one of the "small" Tenere's or the XT660 to the states?

Is a Yamaha really that much better that you'd waste years dreaming about something that never materializes? Meanwhile I'll be having some of the most fun I've had on a bike in my 43 years of riding. Even a KLR in my Garage is better than the "Super-Duper Latest-Greatest Yamaha" in a picture!

Signed; DR650 Rider and former DRZ owner

I was in the same boat, hoping to have the XT660 Tenere here. At least we have the XT1200 Super Tenere, and I have to say it's an amazing dirt bike for how big it is...

Every so often somebody brings this back up, so here is a relatively recent thread:

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=7745.msg131638#msg131638

They are nice bikes, but if I were a Yamaha boss, I'd be thinking about how stiff and already entrenched the competition is. Kaw has the KLR and Versys on the cheap end of the scale, Honda is here already, and the Yam 660 as a relatively expensive single would be more in competition with one of the KTM offerings, BMWs, or even the Huskies.

Is a Yamaha really that much better that you'd waste years dreaming about something that never materializes? Meanwhile I'll be having some of the most fun I've had on a bike in my 43 years of riding. Even a KLR in my Garage is better than the "Super-Duper Latest-Greatest Yamaha" in a picture!
Signed; DR650 Rider and former DRZ owner
I know how you feel Smithie......I just traded off my DR650 for a '92 TDM850.....I absolutely love it, plan on making an adventure bike out of it. Mama Yamaha is the only way to ride!

992882_10152970409975005_1397025212_n.jpg

Latest posts