Yesterday was a VERY good day to be retired...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
With freezing rain, ice and snow moving into northeast Missouri and most of Iowa Friday night, I awoke yesterday morning, looked at the glazing out the bedroom window, and thought how good it is to be retired from the State Highway Patrol and not have to drive in it and work traffic crashes. Not only that, but the Troop was having its Christmas party that night at a country club in a town 10 minutes away, rather than at HQ 1 hour away--- plus, being retired, I could be my usual "unique" self and not have to worry about sucking up to, or pissing off, my "superiors". :yahoo:

The weather warmed, the ice melted, and about 6:30 the wife and I set off for a good evening with friends and good food. Little did I know about that time, 100 miles north of us in Iowa, a guy was escaping from a deputy while being treated at a hospital. He managed to steal a dual wheel pickup with a snow blade on the front (a very important piece of equipment, as we shall see later in this narrative), and head south on the newly finished 4 lane "Avenue of the Saints: St. Paul, MN to St. Louis, MO" :angry:

Making good time, in spite of driving the preferred vehicle of Iowa shoppers, but doing a poor enough job of driving that even the average dip shit with a phone stuck in their ear felt compelled to disconnect from whatever "important" call they were making, and call 911 and bitch, information was relayed to the little town I live in, and the only officer on duty (a female, and by all reports a good officer) set up to intercept at the city limits. :exhappysmiley:

Tallyho!!!....at which time, the bad guy takes her car out with the blade. :angry:

On down the road a couple of miles, a county deputy is enroute to intercept. The deputy is northbound and the bad guy is southbound on the 4 lane. The bad guy decides to get up close and personal by crossing the median and ramming the deputy head on. The dully with the blade wins round 2, and continues southbound leaving the deputy disabled in the median. :cry:

On down the road, a local trooper has decided to get his dog in this fight, (at this point nobody knows the asshole, correction-- suspect-- is an escapee) and other troopers from other zones are moving in to help. Now cell phones on the "brass" at the Christmas party start to ring. When the "suspect" meets the northbound trooper, he does the same thing-- crosses the median, and slams into the driver's door with the blade. A tractor-trailer then ass ends and totals the patrol car. Bad guy wins round 3. "Brass" start heading for their cars. Can you say "lethal force", boys and girls? Time for somebody to pop a cap up his ass, in my opinion. :angry:

Now the guy drives down a blacktop looking for a new ride. Whatdoyouknow-- a big farmer puts on a Christmas light show that draws people from miles around. They can drive through an avenue of lights and Christmas displays of almost commercial proportions. Hundreds of families drive through with their kids to look every year. The asshole-- correction, suspect-- pulls in and car jacks a vehicle only to find a baby in the vehicle. So he leaves it and tries to jack another. I don't know if he is successful or not, but he goes on down the road, breaks into a house near mine and steals their car. Keep in mind, this is a rural peaceful area where people feel safe and don't usually feel the necessity of going armed, unlike some retired people who I won't mention. :unsure:

Now the guy starts taking back roads and heads to the town having the Christmas party. A trooper and a deputy have jumped him, and are trying to get him stopped before he hits town, and some major intersections. (Damn, maybe we should hold dinner and give him a real surprise!) The city officers throw down stop sticks. I personally, being old school, would have preferred a simple wall of lead. :aaskull: The bad guy crashes and bails out of his vehicle on the run. A buddy of mine, who I have known for years and can say is very professional, bails along with a deputy. It is dark, rural, with no light except from the vehicles. The foot chase starts, and the guy turns and points something shinny at the trooper and deputy. They do what they have to do. :(

Turns out the object was a pair of pliers. Bottom line: the trooper and deputy go off duty as many times as they have come on duty, the trooper and city officer involved in the crashes go to the hospital, and are released a few hours later, and the bad guy has a date with the coroner. :mellow:

I don't know the deputy, but I do know my buddy and sometimes ex-partner is a man of God who will take this hard. Fortunately, he has strong ties with his family and church, and the respect of some of us old retired guys. I suspect he will do OK in the end. Per procedure, he is on administrative leave and will do the check out with the shrink before returning to duty.

So yesterday was a good day to be retired. I now question my decision to be coaxed out of retirement to run the department the female officer works for... after all, they are now short one car. :glare:

I kind of miss working with good caliber people, but I don't miss working in the ice. Tomorrow may be a good day to be retired too. :unsure:

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
ZZZZIP, I hope your buddy doesn't feel to bad about the shooting, the goober tried to kill at least three people by my count. Your friend was rightist. :good:

Sounds like the optimal outcome on this one. No seriously injured LEO's, and 1 less shitbird. Although I feel very bad for the officers required to do the deed. I know there will be plenty of public scrutiny to follow and, if in New York State, certainly Grand Jury proceedings. I pray for the LEO's.

While happy with the asshat getting his deserved dirt nap, I feel for the deputy who had to do the deed. As I read the story I thought you were going to say your friend deputy was killed. Much better ending this way.

I like a story with a happy ending :)

Yeah, should have started with "Once upon a time" and ended with "They all lived happily ever after." Except for the shithead of course.

Hell Skip, with the ice you should be studding your tires and heading out for a ride. See you next spring.

Chester

It's a shame Darwin can't take these douchebags out of the gene pool before they pull something like this. I'm glad to see he was the only one seriously injured in this little escapade.

They do what they have to do.
I know the officers involved take no joy in using their sidearms, but you are absolutely right in saying that they did what they had to do. Hopefully there's some comfort for them in that knowledge.

Get back to retirement as fast as you can. It ain't gonna get any better going forward. Take it from another recent retiree.

First I hope all the troopers are well.

Second... I believe that if an officer or trooper asks you to stop, and you run, you deserve whatever it takes to bring you down and none of this bullshit that you become a victim :angry:

First I hope all the troopers are well.Second... I believe that if an officer or trooper asks you to stop, and you run, you deserve whatever it takes to bring you down and none of this bullshit that you become a victim :angry:
You have any idea it is how nice it is to hear those words from a non-cop?

Go to pretty much any sport bike web site and post those words, and you'd have 15 pages in an hour of comments of people calling you names.

While I personally know of no cop that wants to get in a shooting, I hope your friend and the other LEO take comfort in the knowledge that their training helped them survive. I know those thoughts helped me throughout the aftermath of my shootings.

First I hope all the troopers are well.Second... I believe that if an officer or trooper asks you to stop, and you run, you deserve whatever it takes to bring you down and none of this bullshit that you become a victim :angry:
You have any idea it is how nice it is to hear those words from a non-cop?
Well then, Woof!

IMHO, anybody worth chasing should be worth chasing with bullets. That might cut down on the number of folks who decide to run, and the number of innocents who get plowed during the pursuits.

Dang, what took them so long?

ramming someone with a blade is the same as swinging a 2x4 at them, or worse...

Hope all your buddies are ok, and that you stay off the streets...<G>

As in, stay retired.... too many good guys don't get a chance to do that.

Mary

Oh yeah.... the next time an idiot passes me on a double yellow line uphill with a curve coming on, can I just move over and run them off the road?

Twice in 2 days, one a sportbike, the other a Mustang... just because I was going 2 miles under the limit... I'd just pulled out of my side road and wasn't warmed up yet.... my little Jeepie takes a few secs to get up to 60....

For what it is worth--

The officer involved in the shooting is handling it OK mentally. He returned to duty today after being checked out by a shrink, and the guys he works with (which count for more than the shrink, in my book). Life goes on.

For my part, as of today, I have been enticed to come out of retirement and will lead a small town police department. This is due, in no small part, from the support of many of the locals.

Sooo... the bad news is I won't get as many miles on the FJR as last year.

The good news is you won't see me running my mouth so much on this forum in the future. Oh, and did I mention the donuts....?

B)

For what it is worth--
The officer involved in the shooting is handling it OK mentally. He returned to duty today after being checked out by a shrink, and the guys he works with (which count for more than the shrink, in my book). Life goes on.

For my part, as of today, I have been enticed to come out of retirement and will lead a small town police department. This is due, in no small part, from the support of many of the locals.

Sooo... the bad news is I won't get as many miles on the FJR as last year.

The good news is you won't see me running my mouth so much on this forum in the future. Oh, and did I mention the donuts....?

B)

So the secret password if we're caught speeding there is______? :secret: :rolleyes: <LOL>

Mary

Ha,ha... small town politics at its best.

First I was selected for appointment, then 1 guy got them to hold the vote until the next meeting. Now they have decided they like the other candidate better, so they appointed him tonight.

So, I am still retired. Now I can start planning those rides this summer.

B)

Ha,ha... small town politics at its best.
First I was selected for appointment, then 1 guy got them to hold the vote until the next meeting. Now they have decided they like the other candidate better, so they appointed him tonight.

So, I am still retired. Now I can start planning those rides this summer.

B)
So...are you pissed at the stupids?

As the man said, "A measure of a person's intelligence is by how much they agree with you." :unsure:

I'm sure there will be a silver lining in there somewhere...

B)