YFO 2023 - Gauging interest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, kiddies, I have spent several hours this past week talking with various hotels, getting quotes, and have it narrowed down to what I think will be the best place in Mariposa. The only catch is that June is peak season in the Sierras and the prices are through the roof everywhere.

The quote I got for the Mariposa Lodge is $224/night + taxes and that is the lowest price of the larger hotels all around Yosemite on both sides of the passes (Mammoth has slightly cheaper rates but they all have a policy where you can cancel your reservation but you still will pay for one night's hotel expense no matter how far in advance you cancel it). There might be small mom & pop motels but for a larger gathering, that wouldn't work as they wouldn't have enough rooms.

Please let me know if this would still be of interest at this price. At least you have a lot of time to save up some pennies if you do! ;)
That doesn't really sound that bad, given the location. However, a cunning search found me this, in the Oakhurst area. What trip to Yosemite is complete without a ride north on "The Little Dragon"? This one is good for the first 16 people who sign up. There are others available too. $44 per night. What could go wrong? 😇
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/548779..._impression_id=p3_1645246640_rdpTcrMfOBRy1rzM

That doesn't really sound that bad, given the location. However, a cunning search found me this, in the Oakhurst area. What trip to Yosemite is complete without a ride north on "The Little Dragon"? This one is good for the first 16 people who sign up. There are others available too. $44 per night. What could go wrong? 😇
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/548779..._impression_id=p3_1645246640_rdpTcrMfOBRy1rzM

Well, those prices are for 2022 and who the heck knows what they'll be charging in 2023. I'm not in the mindset to try and organize a bunch of Airbnb's all over the Sierras and put my credit card on the line... are you? ;) Guess that idea falls under the "find your own lodging" and then try to organize a group dinner the last night... but what is the point of that if everyone is spread out all over from Mariposa to Coarsegold? Isn't it supposed to be about all of us getting together in one place and enjoying time and roads and and meals and scenery together?

We all had a big 'ol time in Sonora a few years back, stayed here IIRC, and Saturday banquet in the adjacent historic Sonora Inn ..
https://hotellumberjack.com/

If it's the one Fairlaner organized for GOTC, I believe it was at The Sonora Inn. Prices are about the same as Mariposa and current reviews for the hotel do not bode well. Hotel Lumberjack has better reviews but prices are equivalent to Mariposa Lodge.

Last edited:
No clue... given we're over a year out at this point, I've gotten a lot of "that sounds cool!" comments but nothing solid for the most part. The first year we did YFO in 2017 we had over 80 people, last year was about 15... so somewhere around that. ;)
Well, I'll put MY credit card on the line for the first 16 people. How many of those Airbnbs we fill up is up to the rest of the crowd. Probably 50 people could hang out in the first one, but they'd have to get themselves back to their other accommodations afterward. I doubt that anywhere near 80 people are going to sign up for 225 a night for two nights. Food for thought; A group get-together in Death Valley in 2023 could be pretty awesome, albeit earlier in the year. Maybe it'll be wet and there will be snow on the surrounding mountains again, or wildflowers. The last one I went to, in 2010 was a pretty good time, except for that one near-death experience o' mine, and for poor Carver, who got food-poisoned in Bakersfield on the way there with me. The Longstreet has rooms for about $125...

Attachments

• Death Valley 2010 Toecutter.jpg
    Death Valley 2010 Toecutter.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hey Tyler, this sounds like fun and if Toecutter can rise from the ashes, so can I! I'm in AZ now with a chain driven T7 ( cue Dougie eye roll), but I think I can make it with a couple of cans of chain lube. ;) Now all we need to do is shake a tree real hard and I'll bet Exskibum will fall out and land in Mariposa.

Okie dokie... here are my thoughts...

I'll set dates for YFO for June 15-18, 2023 in Mariposa, CA.

I'm going to set up a block of rooms at the Mariposa Lodge for whoever may want to or is able to book there.

If the price is too steep for anyone, they are welcome to find lodging that fits their budget in the area. Airbnb is great but be sure that you are able to cancel within a reasonable time (many have only a 48-cancellation policy after you book it).

Once we have a final headcount closer to the date, I'll arrange for a group dinner on the Saturday evening of that weekend.

Sound good? :)

72082332.jpg

So after lots of research, phone calls, and price quotes, and spending a week up in NorCal on the coast and remembering how many amazing roads there are in the area, I've decided to organize an event in the Fort Bragg area for next year instead of Yosemite. I figure if anyone wants to visit Yosemite, they can do it on their own time and dime because I just can't find anything budget friendly for a large group.

So off I go to reach out to some other hotels and see what I can come up with to entice you mofos out this way... stay tuned! ;)

Well, I'll put MY credit card on the line for the first 16 people. How many of those Airbnbs we fill up is up to the rest of the crowd. Probably 50 people could hang out in the first one, but they'd have to get themselves back to their other accommodations afterward. I doubt that anywhere near 80 people are going to sign up for 225 a night for two nights. Food for thought; A group get-together in Death Valley in 2023 could be pretty awesome, albeit earlier in the year. Maybe it'll be wet and there will be snow on the surrounding mountains again, or wildflowers. The last one I went to, in 2010 was a pretty good time, except for that one near-death experience o' mine, and for poor Carver, who got food-poisoned in Bakersfield on the way there with me. The Longstreet has rooms for about $125...
that was a fun one for sure......

Make her come over there! And film what happens!

Tyler, echoing the "thank you" here--you've obviously worked your little butt off to make something happen. Where would we be without you? Missed last YFO cuz it was squoze between my extended NAFO ride and the Reuben Run, but I'd REALLY love to make this latest proposal. Yes, Cali has sooo many great roads (just did the Angeles Crest last week for the first time), but my VERY favorite ride starts (or ends) in Ft. Bragg. There to Leggett is unbelievable! I want that to happen in the worst way, and I'll definitely show.