Yosemite FJR Owners (YFO) Gathering - Sept. 2-5, 2021

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I am out.  Shoulder injury yesterday is going to keep me off the bike for a while. 

Life sucks.

As of today, current RSVP list... am I missing anyone?

Tyler
BigJohnSD
Kip Walker
JohnW
SkooterG
Turk & Jana
CraigRegs
panman
dcarver
Steven Kerns
Idrian Nistor (?)
Fontanaman
gixxerjasen
Joe / graler
FJRob
escapefjrtist / Jill maybe?
weluvbikn
Adrian Nistor, Yup. 

I'm negotiating time off work and family schedules. Best opportunities are Sept 2, 3 for me to be around, greet ppl and ride miles. 

The wife looks tied up at work so it could be solo or with my daughter who LOVES riding w Dad. :)  

On a related note, I just got the Cardo Packtalk. Is group chatter a thing while riding? First timer here...

Adrian Nistor, Yup. 

I'm negotiating time off work and family schedules. Best opportunities are Sept 2, 3 for me to be around, greet ppl and ride miles. 

The wife looks tied up at work so it could be solo or with my daughter who LOVES riding w Dad. :)  

On a related note, I just got the Cardo Packtalk. Is group chatter a thing while riding? First timer here...
Welcome to the group, Adrian! Guess they misspelled your name on the registration list... ;)   Would love to meet your daughter cause if she loves to ride with Dad, that's time well spent! Most folks will be arriving on the 2nd and I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities for rides on the 3rd. Meet some folks in the parking lot after dinner and figure out where you might like to ride and who you might like to ride with. Lots of different riding styles to choose from... everything from zippy fast to flower sniffing pace. Sometimes folks use their Senas or whatever to chat, sometimes not... just kind of a play it by ear kind of thing. Look forward to meeting you and hopefully your daughter too! :)

Welcome to the group, Adrian! Guess they misspelled your name on the registration list... ;)   Would love to meet your daughter cause if she loves to ride with Dad, that's time well spent! Most folks will be arriving on the 2nd and I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities for rides on the 3rd. Meet some folks in the parking lot after dinner and figure out where you might like to ride and who you might like to ride with. Lots of different riding styles to choose from... everything from zippy fast to flower sniffing pace. Sometimes folks use their Senas or whatever to chat, sometimes not... just kind of a play it by ear kind of thing. Look forward to meeting you and hopefully your daughter too! :)
Ditto! Looking forward to meeting you. WELCOME!

I am going bow out for the weekend. I do still plan on driving down on Friday night to sit around the fire and talk smart. There are too many of you that I know and would like to see. I am also looking forward to meeting some rider friends. I am trying to convince my better half to make the drive with me so you can meet her. So no meal choice for Saturday.

Joe

I am going bow out for the weekend. I do still plan on driving down on Friday night to sit around the fire and talk smart. There are too many of you that I know and would like to see. I am also looking forward to meeting some rider friends. I am trying to convince my better half to make the drive with me so you can meet her. So no meal choice for Saturday.

Joe
Joe, would love to meet your wife... always good to have backup estrogen on board at these events! ;)   lol

Tyler, any word from your peeps at the Virginia Settlement about the smoke in the area from the Caldor Fire?

Im now hearing that all National Forests in CA are being closed until Sept. 17th due to extreme fire danger, so I wonder what that means for your ride?

Ive been watching the ride discussion with much interest as I know that area pretty well but couldn’t attend the ride......

I hope you guys can make this work and get together for a great time.

Brian

Tyler, any word from your peeps at the Virginia Settlement about the smoke in the area from the Caldor Fire?

Im now hearing that all National Forests in CA are being closed until Sept. 17th due to extreme fire danger, so I wonder what that means for your ride?

Ive been watching the ride discussion with much interest as I know that area pretty well but couldn’t attend the ride......

I hope you guys can make this work and get together for a great time.

Brian
From what I can gather, the main roads through are open (i.e. 108/120) and passable... just no hiking, camping, etc. I've checked the Caltrans site and there aren't any road closures for those passes atm.

From Jimmy, owner of VCS:

"A slight haze but not too bad… although we have had a couple days smokier.

Gardnerville north has been terrible smoke wise.

Walker has been a mixed bag.

South of Walker, and the farther south you go has been the best.

108 and 120 would be the clearest routes probably, it sounds like they will have the fire by 108 contained and should hopefully be ok by the weekend."

I also just talked with him on the phone and he said they've had pretty much blue skies 95% of the time at the Settlement with an occasional haze. He also reiterated that south of Walker is best for clearer skies. 
From Yosemite's FB page:

"Yosemite National Park is open despite the closure of California's national forests. Reservations are still required and fire restrictions are in effect below 8,000 feet. Wood and charcoal fires are only allowed in open picnic areas and campgrounds. Smoking is prohibited except inside closed vehicles, in open picnic areas and campgrounds, and in designated areas. Gas and alcohol stoves are allowed. Please use caution anytime you're using a stove, campfire, grill, or smoking. Visit https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/firerestrictions.htm for more information. Air quality in Yosemite has generally been good to moderate, but smoky conditions are possible based on weather patterns and fire activity (https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/aqmonitoring.htm)."

I can confirm that the smoke North of Gardenerville has bad. We have had several weeks now where the Air Quality is over 100 and often times over 150. Yesterday we caught a break and could actually see the mountains 4 miles from the house. It was taken away this morning as the AQI was 194. Right now it has cleared a bit again. We are 13 miles east of Carson City on Hwy 50.

Joe

I can confirm that the smoke North of Gardenerville has bad. We have had several weeks now where the Air Quality is over 100 and often times over 150. Yesterday we caught a break and could actually see the mountains 4 miles from the house. It was taken away this morning as the AQI was 194. Right now it has cleared a bit again. We are 13 miles east of Carson City on Hwy 50.

Joe
Virginia Creek is far enough south it should not to be effected much by the Caldor fire. For perspective Reno and Truckee were clear as a bell around 4 pm today when I rode through of the way home from NAFO. I could see the smoke all going to Carson City and Fernley.  104 degrees and heavy smoke in Fernley-yuck, clear and 82 at the Donner summit.   :)

Pulled in about 630pm at VCS with Jasen and Craig in tow after an absolutely stellar day in Yosemite... blue skies, no smoke, hardly any traffic or crowds, and perfect lighting wherever we went... I've been to Yosemite a couple dozen times and I've never seen it like this... it was epic!!  :cool: 

Tomorrow we'll probably do an easy-ish lake loop for some fun roads (120 East including the dips section!) and lovely scenery... can't wait! :)

Hey Tyler, are you going to grace us with one of your fantastic ride reports?

Looking forward to some goodness…..

Brian the biknflyfisher 

Latest posts