Zoe meets forest rat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivvalry

Reaction score
Rainy this morning but supposed to clear up so I decide to go ahead and take the bike in to work. Roads are pretty wet and so a little slick. Come around a sweeper just toodling along (not in a hurry to get to work) and there is a forest rat scrambling across the road in front of me. "Where the hell did she come from?!?!", thinks me, and "oh shit, she's headed right for me!" Clench sphincter hard, apply brake, abs kicks in, deer bounces off front of bike and into brush on side of road, Zoe holds the road and shrugs off the hit. Glance in rear view mirror and deer is tumbling thru the brush, gets up, and runs for the woods.

Unclench sphincter. Pull up to stoplight and guy in mercedes pulls up next to me and yells out his window, "Good job! I was reaching for my cell phone to dial 911!" Finish ride to work.

2010-05-03075322.jpg

I'm glad you came out of that on two wheels. Good job!

I hit a deer in Wyoming a few years back while riding a Goldwing. They are tricky creatures and not easy to predict or avoid. I too was lucky and didn't crash. I killed my deer though and broke the side mirror and some plastic. Oh, and it tore the deer whistle off the front of my bike too. Good thing Had those!!

Glad to hear you are OK!

Damn good job!!!!! Now your entitled to a drop club and a dear strike club in your sig line. :rolleyes:
I think I would like to avoid getting any more of those sort of club memberships... This has been an interesting week for the bike. :blink:

Just glad I clipped his ass end instead of hitting him square. I probably could have avoided him if the roads hadnt been so wet. Hmmm.... just had a brilliant idea. We need "deer sliders"... like the cow catchers the old steam trains used to have.

Hope those scuffs buff out of the front fender and the fairing. She scuffed the front fender as well but you cant see that in the pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job!

I killed one on Skyline Drive with my Ducati ST2 a few years back and the bike stayed up, too. When I came to a stop and the adrenaline hit, my legs turned to rubber. The only reason the bike didn't fall was that I got the sidestand down quick.