Zumo 550 Screen issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalaxyBlue

Reaction score
IMAG0662.jpg

Strange... It did this twice today and a reboot made it run normal again.

My battery is fried also. It dies instantly when i unplug it from 12v. Could these be related? :dntknw:

IMAG0662.jpg

Strange... It did this twice today and a reboot made it run normal again.

My battery is fried also. It dies instantly when i unplug it from 12v. Could these be related? :dntknw:
Did it have the Australia/ New Zealand maps loaded recently??? :blink: :dribble:

I believe Garmin has an exchange your dead Zumo offering for $150.00. Contact them for more info. Alternatively you could get a new battery as it needs it anyway to see if the problem goes away. I have not seen this before. You could place a post on the Zumoforums -there are some pretty savvy Zumo users there.

Quit dropping it on its head & you wouldn't have that problem :good: .....I agree with IBF2.....check out the zumo forms 1st :friends:

Haha...Dood, I think it's FUBAR. You should prolly just pay the $150 and get a new one. Sorry man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, no respect for the man (admin)! :assassin:

Gunny the Zumo forum. Hopefully they have an answer and you'd may get a better idea what do once you know what's up. It may be cheaper to get a new battree imnstalled vs a new unit.

Good luck. ;)

The batteries are usually pretty good, still have the original performing well after 4 years. It may be that the charging circuit is not complete. You likely have contact issues with the cradle, so work contact cleaner in the pins, work them up and down, use a contact cleaner with lube or a touch of silicone spray or dielectric grease. Clean the contacts on the bottom of the Zumo with a pencil eraser, follow up with contact cleaner & lube. Do this two or three times a year. Next, mount on powered cradle and boot up. Won't boot up, you still have contact issues, might need new cradle. On the home screen it should not show a battery icon if it is getting power, but after a bit, turn it off with the power button while still in the powered cradle.. should get a screen message that says something like "battery is now being charged". If not, then you may still have cradle issues or a bad battery.

Next, remove battery, clean contacts with pencil eraser, same lube treatment, reinstall battery. Repeat exercise in powered cradle. If you do get the "battery being charged" message, leave it on charge for a couple of hours. Then power up while out of the cradle and check battery charge status on the home screen. If nothing, then I would conclude the battery is pooched. Lots available on eBay for reasonable cost.

As far as the screen antics, never seen that before. Do a full hard reset (user data will be lost and preferences have to be reset). If this doesn't fix it, buy a new LCD screen & digitizer combo and switch it out (easy job). It might be a faulty LCD screen (as opposed to the digitizers that are normally the problem with erratic touch commands).

Not sure if Garmin is supporting a replacement program any more, you'll have to call them. They will do repairs however as I understand it.

Thanks for the input. I'll try cleaning the contacts for the battery issue and do a hard reset. Let's hope that fixes it!

Adam,

The battery should also charge up when you have it plugged in a hot USB cable.

That will help differentiate whether it is a cradle / pins problem or something inside the device.

The batteries are usually pretty good, still have the original performing well after 4 years. It may be that the charging circuit is not complete. You likely have contact issues with the cradle, so work contact cleaner in the pins, work them up and down, use a contact cleaner with lube or a touch of silicone spray or dielectric grease. Clean the contacts on the bottom of the Zumo with a pencil eraser, follow up with contact cleaner & lube. Do this two or three times a year. Next, mount on powered cradle and boot up. Won't boot up, you still have contact issues, might need new cradle. On the home screen it should not show a battery icon if it is getting power, but after a bit, turn it off with the power button while still in the powered cradle.. should get a screen message that says something like "battery is now being charged". If not, then you may still have cradle issues or a bad battery.

Next, remove battery, clean contacts with pencil eraser, same lube treatment, reinstall battery. Repeat exercise in powered cradle. If you do get the "battery being charged" message, leave it on charge for a couple of hours. Then power up while out of the cradle and check battery charge status on the home screen. If nothing, then I would conclude the battery is pooched. Lots available on eBay for reasonable cost.

As far as the screen antics, never seen that before. Do a full hard reset (user data will be lost and preferences have to be reset). If this doesn't fix it, buy a new LCD screen & digitizer combo and switch it out (easy job). It might be a faulty LCD screen (as opposed to the digitizers that are normally the problem with erratic touch commands).

Not sure if Garmin is supporting a replacement program any more, you'll have to call them. They will do repairs however as I understand it.
Good Information, I haven't had problems yet, but this stuff could come in real handy.

Thanks,

Spoke too soon, musta jinxed myself........ have had recent problems with the unit not powering up in the car cradle. Got a new cradle, changed power cords, checked the fuse, etc.... problem persists or is worse. Done everything..... manually charged the battery, Zumo is using battery in the cradle. Next will try the new spare battery I have in stock.... but I am suspecting something wrong with the Zumo and the bottom contacts. Jeez.

I can't test the bike cradle, as it was OK in there 100% of the time thru this car cradle thing I'm going through. Bike is stored at a friend's right now and is a bit of a drive, but I'll test that too. Unit works fine under its own battery power.

Latest posts