Tranny (shifter) bokerforked (Found: star cam broke off the shift drum!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
Went to shift down from 3rd to 2nd a while ago and something broke. Shifter wiggles but doesn't engage anything, and bike is between second and third, ALMOST in second. It's close enough to being in second that a little bit of clutch will start to move the bike and then it starts with the dog-slipping noise, which makes me bring the clutch lever back in quickly.

This truly sucks.

I was ONLY about three miles from home, so I pushed/rode it like that, just enough clutch for a tiny bit of thrust. Took 90 minutes to get home! For once, Florida flat is AWESOME!!!!!! because it wouldn't have climbed anything steeper than .03% grade.

So it's parked. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I don't have a lift, nothing to raise the bike/drop the motor, and no spare parts bin lying around full. I'm supposed to have dibs on second gear parts from Patriot's blowed-up motor, but I can't find the thread about that for some reason, and I don't remember who it was put all that stuff in his attic. I might see if some other parts are there for me....

Might be cheaper to buy an eBay engine if I find one than to buy parts, assuming I can't get what I need from Patriot's motor if I find that forum member again.

So someone remind me who that was, and I can start begging him to get up into the attic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking on a job like splitting the motor for transmission repair shouldn't be done with high mileage replacement parts, lest ye be wanting to take the job on a 2nd time. How many miles are on your bike now? I'd start by pulling the clutch basket out and making sure the other end of the shift shaft is contacting the tits on the shift drum correctly. Unlikely to be a problem there, but you just may get lucky and not have to yank the motor.

Take a look at StreetHawk's writeup and see if you'd be comfortable doing something like he did. Most of the work is getting the motor out, splitting it for transmission repair isn't too challenging; probably can be done for around $500-600 in parts depending on what's wrong and you can buy parts cheaply online. Also, motor out means it's a GREAT time to take on a valve shim adjustment, CCT replacement, suspension rebuild/upgrade, etc.

The downside is the wait. You're probably gonna be without an FJR for at least a couple of months.

Ahh, FooShee ...

A reference point..

I bought a 2008, 5k engine, delivered from GA to CA for 1,200 USD.

It's been a perfect engine.. Better than OEM..

It took less time to replace the engine than a head gasket...

If me, I would replace and go.

Be sure the replacement engine does NOT have broken tabs, and ask to see a video of the running engine, with sound, prior to engine extraction..

Sorry to hear of the problems....

Sorry to hear it, Walt. That is not a very common failure mode of the shifting mechanism, so not much sage advice around on what it might be.

I believe it was hppants that hung onto Patriot's old engine. Redfish Hunter and he were the ones to fetch the bike with Patriot, as I recall. And I think they grabbed the engine then too.

I guess I'd look at how many miles you have on your old engine and consider a total engine swap. It's either that or do a tear down and see what is actually wrong and how much it would cost for parts but that will be the more labor intensive route.

Good luck, man.

+1 on rPGoatBoy's comment on replacing hard-to-access parts with high mileage used parts. The labor is worth more than the cost saving and you DON'T want to do it twice. I think I would opt for a replacement engine, especially if yours has a lot of miles on it.

Mine just turned 90,000 a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not too worried about comparing parts from mine and Patriot's as far as age or mileage, as I remember a comment made during the teardown: Mike, you can ride my bike anytime.! OTOH, not sure the parts I will need are still available from that one.

With that kind of mileage I don't think I would bother. If its not an easy fix I would be looking at second hand or something new. That's a crapload of work and something I would not attempt on my own. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

Good luck,

Dave

Used mill might have tranny problems too-fork and dogz..no way to tell..I once changed out the engine on a Sazook RF900 to fix jumping out of gear problems and found that the replacement engine had the same problem...Even so, I would prolly switch the old mill for a newer low mileage one...fingers crossed.

Easy fix...

14ms_fjr1300es_red_s3-copy.jpg

smile.png
Just tryin ta help.

I have idea.

I have a spare 2006 (GEN 2) with 97k on it. But it is missing 2nd gear. So scratch that idea.

I have another idea:

I have a 2007 Gen 2 engine with 25k on it that runs great. But I think you have a Gen 1 so scratch that idea.

I have another idea:

That 2007 engine is in a 2006 FJR. Everything works. I'll sell the 2006 bike, with the 2007 engine installed, for $5500. But you're in FL and I'm in MN. Scratch that idea.

I have another idea:

You fly up here and buy my 2006 with the 2007 engine. When you get home you can move your farkles to the newer bike, and part out the rest of it.

How does that sound? Lots cheaper than a 2014 ES.