3rd Gen Windshield Tuning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned a while back that I had experimented with making a mod to the 3rd Gen's windshield angle similarly to how many folks modified their 1st (and even some 2nd) Gens in the past. The concept is to change the angle of the windshield and, especially for the 1st Gens, to increase the air gap at the bottom of the shield above the faring surface to reduce the vacuum behind the shield in an attempt to reduce turbulence and buffeting.

Since my experiments have been relatively successful, I've decided to go ahead document what I've done (so far), so that other 3rd Gen folks can do some of the same, or maybe they will spin off of this with something even better.

To get started, lets take a look at the windshield mechanism on the 3rd Gens. Refer to the parts layout below:

After removing the two painted trim covers, (#4) the windshield is mounted to the part that I'll call the "windshield carrier" (#8) with six plastic screws (#2) threaded into six rubber captive well nuts (#3). Once the shield is removed you are left with the carrier bolted to the two articulating arms on either side of the Drive Unit Assembly that (#13) protrude through the two slots in the front faring. The carrier itself is mounted to the arms using four 6mm x 12mm long flange head cap screws (#9).

3rd%20Gen%20Windshield%20Mechanism.jpg

After removing the four cap screws the whole carrier assembly can be lifted off and you are looking at the arms of the Drive Unit Assembly.

010.jpg

Note the angled relationship of of the two arms to each other. Here's a closer look at one of the two arms

008.jpg

And the back side of the carrier assembly mounting area

009.jpg

Seems simple enough to install some spacers and modify the angle that the carrier mounts to the moving arms and thereby change the shield angle. The parts that I used were pretty cheap and readily available, I used two 6mm x 20mm Allen head cap screws, and two short spacers that I manually cut from a single plastic 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD x 1" length plastic spacer bought at Home Despot.

The picture below shows two of the 20mm screws and plastic spacers along with two of the four stock 12mm long screws that will be used in the top two holes.

005.jpg

I first cut the 1" spacer in half lengthwise, with a slight angle ~ 10 degrees on the cut, and then filed the beveled ends of the two down to exact (and nearly identical) length of 10mm at the longer side of the bevels.

Installed the two beveled spacers in the bottom cap screw locations with the fatter sides down, using the longer 20mm cap screws. This will tilt the carrier and windshield back further towards the rider.

004.jpg

The carrier assembly is a relatively thin steel plate and will flex a bit as you tighten it up. If you over do it you may bend the steel to the new angles, but that should be no big deal. It's easy enough to get them tight enough that they will not come loose, even with the slightly skewed hardware.

Now for the results with the Yamaha Accessories Touring Windshield mounted:

Windshield at maximum height in stock configuration:

Angle is -34 degrees from vertical (steep) and the height above the steering stem nut is 22 1/8"

006.jpg

Compared to Windshield at maximum height with the 10mm spacers installed

Angle is tilted back -41.6 degrees and height is still 21" above the stem nut, so a loss of 1 1/8" height but an increased tilt of 7 1/2 degrees.

003.jpg

Now, the stock windshield config at minimum height is 16 3/4" above the stem nut and at a -46.6 degree angle

007.jpg

And the minimum height with the spacers installed is 15 1/4" and a 54 degree angle from vertical.

002.jpg

To summarize the measurements,

The shield stock goes from 16 3/4" to 22 1/8" height and -46.6 to -34 degree tilt from vertical.

The spacers will go from 15 1/4" to 21" height at from -54.0 to -41.6 degrees tilt from vertical.

After a few days of mixed use, on and off the highway, I can say there is definite improvement on both ends of the shield's range. Whereas, (with the touring windshield mounted) there used to be a lot of turbulence and buffeting of my head with the shield fully up, now the fully up position is actually usable. And with the increased angle and lower shield top at the lowest position you can get enough cooling airflow to you upper body to be able to run a bigger shield during the hotter weather, so you'll be prepared for those occasions when it cools off (in the mountains) or you hit some bad weather without roasting yourself on the nice days.

I've made some measurements of the mounting area, screw spacings, and the spacing of the two arms to each other at the four screw holes as the next step may be to fabricate something a little bit more elegant such as an interface between the arms and the carrier. Ideally I would like to shift the carrier assembly both back in the angle (as the spacers do) but also upwards in that plane about an inch or so to regain some of the lost height from the new angle.

The tricky part will be that the two arms are angled to each other, so moving the new screw holes upwards will be at an angle to the two screw holes. Not a big deal, just something that needs to be calculated in the design. In the meantime, this works pretty well, and could actually be used with an even taller windshield such as a Cee Bailey 23" or CalSci XL and still be livable in the heat of summer.

Disclaimer: This is my experience with a Yamaha Touring windshield on an FJR with a Russell Daylong seat in the low position and HeliBars Riser plate installed with the bars twisted all the way forward. I am 6'2" tall and wear a 32" inseam dress pants. Your experiences with your setup and your body shape may differ.

[edited to correct the cap screw size to 6mm per post by NightShine]

Last edited by a moderator:
I admire your effort and the detail of your posting however my 2013 suits me just fine with the touring screen as is, thank you for the posting it was an interesting read.

Always the tinkerer,
winksmiley02.gif

Not that I am looking for more work but I would think a couple of spacer bars with additional holes moved further up would work. This solution would raise the windscreen higher off the cast brackets. May be a good thing also. It would give some additional hight also. I am currently behind on product so trying to make some right now would be difficult for me.

Dave

Tinkerer, yeah that's me.

Here's a quick pencil sketch & scan of what I am visualizing:

Windshield%20Tuning%20Bracket.jpg

The two arms on the Drive Unit Assembly are splayed outward at an 11 degree angle, so the holes have to be offset to the side by that angle to move them vertically straight. And of course the right side bracket would be the mirror image of this left side one.

This would add 1 inch of shield height in addition to providing a 9 degree incline to the shield, approximately the same angle I achieved with the 10mm spacers, and with straight / solid mounting of all hardware.

Definitely no need to hurry into anything here, the cheap plastic spacers are working just fine right now. Just something to think about twiddling with at some time in the future.

wink.png

Yeh, That sketch is pretty close to what I was thinking. Should work fine.

edit: Even more killer would be to make them adjustable to pivot on an angle.

Dave

Yeah, I had considered that idea too, but would be afraid the thing would be too flimsy and you'd get a lot of motion in the windshield. A nice solid mount at the right angle (whatever that is) would be best I think.

Just for grins, I cobbed up a home made Laminar Lip style extension from a piece of curved lexan that I had around from way back in my 2001 Concours days. Mounted it on the top of the Yamaha Touring windshield using the same Scotch Dual Lock fasteners, which spaced it away from the windshield the perfect amount, with about 2 1/2" of the lip sticking up past the shield.

The lip did exactly what it is supposed to do and shot the air stream up to the very top of my helmet and made an incredibly still air pocket behind the shield. The only problem was the lip would catch the air pressure fluctuations and was shaking my windshield around much too violently, probably because I did not have a reverse curve at the top to maintain a forward pressure like the real Laminar lips do.

Looks like a good candidate for 3D printer...
smile.png

Tinkerer, yeah that's me.
Here's a quick pencil sketch & scan of what I am visualizing:

Windshield%20Tuning%20Bracket.jpg

The two arms on the Drive Unit Assembly are splayed outward at an 11 degree angle, so the holes have to be offset to the side by that angle to move them vertically straight. And of course the right side bracket would be the mirror image of this left side one.

This would add 1 inch of shield height in addition to providing a 9 degree incline to the shield, approximately the same angle I achieved with the 10mm spacers, and with straight / solid mounting of all hardware.

Definitely no need to hurry into anything here, the cheap plastic spacers are working just fine right now. Just something to think about twiddling with at some time in the future.

wink.png

Nice work Fred! Send me a couple of those spacers!

I'm not sure the extra height that was lost is even needed. Never bothered me on any of my Rifles.

Nice work Fred! Send me a couple of those spacers!
I'm not sure the extra height that was lost is even needed. Never bothered me on any of my Rifles.
The 1st Gen rifle tuning bracket actually did move the shield up about 1/2". But of course the shield was a gigantic barn door in the first place so didn't need much help.

The desire to move the shield upwards that 1" is secondary to the desire to have flush and square mounting of the hardware.
wink.png

PS - Those uber expensive parts I used are all available at your nearest Home Depot or True Value Hardware store.

Interesting... I purchased the Yamaha Touring Screen because I was coping a fair whack of buffering with the standard screen. I'm non-tall (5'6") but still don't find the Touring Screen perfect, especially as it is so susceptible to vehicles in front of the bike causing turbulence.

I'll be following this topic with interest!

Seems simple enough to install some spacers and modify the angle that the carrier mounts to the moving arms and thereby change the shield angle. The parts that I used were pretty cheap and readily available, I used two 5mm x 20mm Allen head cap screws, and two short spacers that I manually cut from a single plastic 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD x 1" length plastic spacer bought at Home Despot.
Okay, note to self: 5mm x 20mm socket head screws = M6 x 20mm. Duh...
smile.png

An easy mistake and not a problem. The ambiguity to me is that an M6 sized socket head screw takes a 5mm hex key; an M5 screw takes a 4mm hex key... Who knew?

But they're installed now, and I'll give the new set up a try in the next couple of days...