In memorium...Richard Christensen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Rich

Arrested Development
Reaction score
Forum members:

I have the sad task of sharing with you the passing of a long-time forum member, my husband, Richard Christensen. I apologize if this is the incorrect way to 'go about' such a notification, but I did want his riding buddies to know of his passing. Motorcycles...and specifically his black cherry FJR...were a significant source of joy for Richard. He taught all of us how to ride and to appreciate the romance of the road...thank you for the brotherhood that you provided for him over the years. Sincerely, Susan Christensen.

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/washington/oak-harbor/wallin-funeral-home--cremation-llc/richard-christensen/3585360/tributes.php

Obituary for Richard David Christensen

5f6559ea9ee3af3c684c92155e91a972.jpg

Richard David Christensen

It could be argued that Richard “Pops” Christensen was a top contender for the title “The Most Interesting Man in the World.” While some people knew him as a professional, others saw him as a skilled mechanic and welder who loved the outdoors and any opportunity to fish, hunt or ride his FJR. Although Pops passed gently in his sleep on August 6, 2018, he lived the rest of his life with a vigor and enthusiasm that was stunning to behold.
Richard was born in Boston, MA in 1949, but spent the majority of his youth in Southern California. Growing up he became an Eagle Scout, played football and baseball, surfed, scubaed, boated, biked and motorcycled. He and other young men of his generation weren’t faced with a carefree high school experience: the specter of Vietnam overshadowed every decision they made. Richard chose to enter the United States Coast Guard and made an early choice to concentrate on a Reserve commitment throughout his adult life. A true mustang, he worked his way up from Fireman’s Apprentice to Commander, and retired with honors after almost thirty years of service. His favorite assignment was as Reserve Commander of Group Monterey. Although he was awarded the Coast Guard Commendation Medal for distinguished service, two other achievements stand out to his family as emblematic of his on-going concern for his troops and underprivileged youth. He created a tee shirt fundraiser to help with medical expenses for local Reserve Coast Guardsmen returning from the first Gulf War, and established an annual Christmas Party for local children who attended a local Boys and Girls Club.

Richard earned a B.S. from the University of Redlands, and an M.A. in Industrial Technology from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. For twenty years ‘Mr. C.’ taught auto shop in Santa Maria, CA. He had an open shop policy that let students work on their own vehicles in class, thus saving many families money. He was well remembered for his chorizo and egg breakfasts where both students and staff would gather in the shop while he manned the grill. He was also remembered for a wicked sense of humor with the most infamous incident involving the filling of a peer teacher’s storeroom with hundreds of pounds of coleslaw mix that he had obtained from a local food processor. Eventually, the leadership skills he had honed with the Coast Guard took over, and he became a school administrator. While working positions as varied as a continuation school principal, a school district superintendent, and a top administrator with a community college, he found time to complete an EdD from the University of Southern California. After earning his degree, he was never shy about betting any other college football fan that the Trojans would continue as winners.

While working his way up the ladder in both the Coast Guard and various school districts, he also found time to continue to develop new interests. He could tackle any engine, fell a tree, carve that tree into an amazing creation, crab, craft gorgeous tables, boat, keep bees, blow glass, sharpen knives, design mechanical devices, …all while helping you to write a personal resume that would get you that elusive job you always wanted. He loved to travel and made exploring British Columbia, Baja California, Kenya, Alaska and Europe with his family a top priority. He also provided meticulous ride reports to his friends on the FJR Forum, and often enjoyed road trips with his buddies.

After almost forty years of work, Richard retired to the Pacific Northwest: Whidbey Island in Washington State. His home resembled a tiny park, with a large meadow surrounded by towering trees. He could often be seen holding court near his barn, sipping coffee, while helping various neighbors on a mechanical or welding repair project.

Richard met his wife Susan at the University of Redlands. They had been together for almost forty-nine years. During their last trip to Scotland, they renewed their wedding vows in the same church his ancestors had attended. In addition to Susan, he leaves his daughter Karen and her spouse, Jessi; son David and his spouse, Kristina, and to paraphrase him, “…the three smartest, handsomest, and most talented grandkids ever created,” (Wyatt, Elinor and Warren.)

The two most enduring characteristics his family treasures and emulates are his code of ethics and his lifelong love of learning. Pops was the most honorable man any of us ever encountered: his word was indeed his bond. He set high standards for himself and encouraged others to try and be the best they could be. He taught us to never waiver from a challenge and to persist in learning new skills.

The family will plan a celebration of life to be scheduled sometime next spring.

Family suggests memorials or donations may be sent to either the American Heart Association or the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Fund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the notice, Mrs. Christensen, and thanks, Niehart for the obituary.

His posts had a wicked sense of humor that I truly appreciated. Always good to hear that a nice guy succeeded in life. Please accept my salute, Commander, from a fellow sailor.

Great guy, terrible news. I last saw Rich at Spearfish in 2015 and had many interesting conversations with him. As luck would have it, our paths crossed for a final time at a Dairy Queen somewhere in Central Montana when we were both riding to Butte in 100 plus temperatures. He was a really a high class all around great person and will be missed by everyone who knew him.

Sitting here speechless...

Thoughts and prayers to your family Susan, it was an honor to have known Rich.

RIP my friend.

~George

Thank you so much for letting all of us here on the forum know of his passing. I never met him but I did swap some PMs with him concerning axes and blade steels. He was a wealth of knowledge but humble about sharing it.

So very sorry to hear this news... Rich always had a rapier sense of humor and he could always make me smile... Susan, I don't think we ever met in person but I know how much Rich loved you and his family... my condolences to you all at the loss of a good spirit in this world and I hope that you will continue to feel him with you in your hearts and spirits. One of my favorite poems:

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side, spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.

I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast, hull and spar as she was when she left my side.

And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying.

-H. Van Dyke

Sad, sad ... sad

R.I.P. Rich. :-((

Had the honor of riding with him on but a few occasions when the NorCal crowd seemed to ride every other weekend. A truly nice guy. He will be missed.

Condolences to his family and many riding friends.

I first met Dr. Rich in early '08 when he organized a February President's Day ride to Bodega Bay. Being a bit of a wallflower I was impressed with how quickly he made me feel welcome. He was always that way. A few invites were thrown out to visit him on Whidby Island but life or lame excuses got in the way. He was one of those whose passing one could never imagine so I always figured I'd get up there "next year".

So sorry to hear this.

A people lover, a dog lover and a motorcycle lover, probably in that order.

My thoughts and prayers to Susan and the family.

I had the pleasure of stopping by his home a few years back while I was in the neighborhood. Rich and I had a wonderful visit talking bikes and life on Whidbey Island out in his shop, good man indeed. He will be missed.

I wanted to add my thanks for posting this sad news, Susan. It can't have been easy for you. My sincere condolences to you and your family. Rich was an important part of this community, and I'm sure of every other community he was involved with.

Though I did not know or meet him, I wish that I had. Sounds like a truly good man. Ride on brother!

My condolences to his friends and family..... Sounds like he had a happy and fulfilling life. Remember the good times and find peace in those great memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.