DIY tire changer, a different take

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogopogo

Reaction score
My previous diy tire changer did the job but I cursed it with every use. Not enough hands, forever putzing with clamps. I finally got around to building something better.

Pretty simple construction and like many others except that it has upper and lower bread breakers always in place so that they can also be used to chase the opposite side of the bead down into the center of the rim. All operations from one position. Quickly clamps to the arm of my car lift making the changer rigid and height-adjustable. Stores in minimum space. Mount-demount bar is the same one I've used for a dozen changes. Ignore the weird cutouts in the mount end, they were part of the plastic's earlier life. Top nut reversible for front wheel.

Works well so I declared it paint worthy. A few photos here. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0oj6zw2lb1ejv/AADIPabCZTuMkALFztjbZR52a?dl=0

Does it work well enough to consider it "market ready"? If you're considering it I'd recommend that it should be able to mount into a standard trailer hitch receiver - almost universally available....

and I'd be interested if the price is fair
default_smile.png

I am near you and would love to see this close up. PM me when it's convenient for you. Or call 250-5four8-33four6

Does it work well enough to consider it "market ready"? If you're considering it I'd recommend that it should be able to mount into a standard trailer hitch receiver - almost universally available....
and I'd be interested if the price is fair
smile.png
I'm flattered anyone would think it's worth selling, but it's just a one-off. I enjoy wasting time on things like that but would rather make some new contraption than do any production work. Here's another interesting take. https://www.max2h.com/shop/reifenmontierger%C3%A4t-evo1-15-19/#cc-m-product-9666952919 Makes my knees ache just looking at it.
uhuh.gif
Plus they talk funny. I admire their minimalist approach though.

I bought a No-Mar at one of the motorcycle industry shows a few yrs back. I love it, works well, but damn it takes up some room in already tight garage. I like the portability of your design; only break it out when you need it. Great idea.