Tale of the Dragon?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamahalicious

Reaction score
  Hey folks,

I am a new FJR owner.  I just bought my 2020 Yamaha FJR 1300es on April 3rd.  I have almost 500 miles on her now and will have 600 in. Couple of days.  After I get my 600 mile service done, I would like to ride the Dragon one day.  Would anyone else be interested?  I would like to ride on a weekday because I don’t wanna get nailed from behind by ass wipes acting like it is their personal racetrack.  I just ride to ride.  

PM Bill Lumberg.  He’s riding during Covid.

The Dragon is a fine ride and on everyone’s checklist.  Cherohala Skyway is a more mellow ride that’s every bit as enjoyable.  So is the Blood Mountain run to Tesnatee Gap in north Georgia.  

Any ride  is far more fun if you carry a brown-bag lunch and cool drink stashed in your FJR luggage.  Eat at a picnic table in a scenic overlook.

Great run from Atlanta.   I did it two weekends in a row!!   Run up 68 to Tellico, start over Cheraholla,  but cut left on 360 and come up the back of the Dragon.  Lunch at Deals Gap to show support and send some money their way.  Then head back via Cheraholla and run down 315/30 back to Turtletown.. Oh.. then cut across  60 via McCaysville to  Blue Ridge and take 60 back to Dahlonega then hit 400 to make some time heading home.  Easy peasy.   That will properly break in the new FJR.   :)

I'm planning a ride with my brothers in 2 weeks, Tupelo to Deerfield on the Natchez Parkway, then to Chattanooga and Tellico Plains and the Cherohala parkway and the Tail of the Dragon and north on the Blueridge parkway as far as Litttle Switzerland and then back to Michigan.  But I'm wondering if restaurants are open? We'd rather not do drive thru fast food and eat sitting on the curb. And we usually camp, and out west we almost always stealth camp but not sure how that might work on this trip.  And if the campgrounds are closed to tent camping and it's hot we might get a motel.  

Restaurants are mostly open.  Not sure about lodging.  That's a tougher issue right now. I was out in Bryson city last weekend and it was mostly business as normal with face masks

A few weeks back (early June) I did a ride from CA to VA going North, over, then back down. I had no problems with food or lodging. The key to lodging is to call ahead and make sure you have a reservation.

I've been out and about in western NC and central VA lately.  As mentioned above, mostly business as usual with masks.

Restaurants mostly open with masks required and longer wait times due to tables being closed off to make distance between.  NC has suspended reopening progression plans from June 24 to at least July 15.  https://governor.nc.gov/news/north-carolina-pauses-safer-home-phase-2-adds-statewide-requirement--face-coverings

The feds continue to shut down portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Last weekend several sections in and above Roanoke, VA were closed tho we were able to get on unhindered south of there.  Note that there is also chip seal being applied to sections around Stuart, VA.

Lodging- the specifics I can't help with as I've just not noticed much.  Everywhere I've been it looks like everything is normal.  Camping I can't help with at all but will say this- in both NV and VA there's a lot of "Campsites Full" signs at state parks.  I don't know if it's just people finally getting out more or if they're actually closed.

Would love to hear a trip report on this! I'm planning on being in the Asheville area soon. Going to pick up a new to me bike in Myrtle Beach and my best friend since childhood lives in Asheville. Planning on doing a few days of riding in the area until he gets sick of me. Then possibly start north up The Blue Ridge Pkwy into VA. My sister lives in the Richmond area where I could spend a night or two. Excited but nervous about flying and the heat. One way flights to Myrtle Beach are under $100 and I looked into a one way rental car and found it would be over 500. Still doing research but likely I'll do the one way flight.

I made reservations at Piney Grove Campground near the Natchez Trace PW north of Tupelo, and Lake Powhatan on the BRPW near Asheville.  Both were pretty full for the night so I was wanting to get. I’m also open to get either a tent site or a cabin at deals gap. Otherwise we’re going to stealth Camp. Call vid 19 cases of been running kind of high in that part of the country so I’m hoping it doesn’t lock down in the next 2 weeks.

Dan, I'm just north of Asheville in Leicester. Let me know if you need anything. Decent set of tools, tire changer, flat space for a tent...

Dan, I'm just north of Asheville in Leicester. Let me know if you need anything. Decent set of tools, tire changer, flat space for a tent...
PJ, we almost needed your assistance.  My brother ran the rear tire on his '07 FJR down to the cord.  Asheville was the end of the line for him but he was able to buy a tire at MR motorcycles. We had to take the wheel off in the parking lot and they mounted the tire for him while we went to breakfast.  We don't feel like it's been a true MC trip if we don't have to do some wrenching somewhere along the way.

I actually like MR. They've been pretty good with me... although, I'm not sure I've ever used their service department.  I'm glad you guys were able to finish the trip. The dealer is an ok stop.. the hospital, not so much :)

Hey folks,

I am a new FJR owner.  I just bought my 2020 Yamaha FJR 1300es on April 3rd.  I have almost 500 miles on her now and will have 600 in. Couple of days.  After I get my 600 mile service done, I would like to ride the Dragon one day.  Would anyone else be interested?  I would like to ride on a weekday because I don’t wanna get nailed from behind by ass wipes acting like it is their personal racetrack.  I just ride to ride.  
It's been almost 4 months. Did you go? Are you still riding?   How many miles on it now? What oil are Y'all using? Gotta get the FNG post count up.