3k ride with an 06 Cal-Sci Tall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbemotumbo

Reaction score
Nearly 3k in 4 days of riding last week. I wanted to log an SS and BBG ride and was very happy my new CS Tall shield arrived about an hour before I started the trip. Thanks to Mark at CS for speeding things up, knowing I was on a time crunch. Great customer service!

Anyway, thought I'd share my observations. For reference, I'm 5'10, 32" inseam, fairly proportional, 33-34 sleeves. I have the bars back on my 06 and the seat high and I sit close to the tank.

1) At the lowest position, the air blast hits me square in the Shoei face shield. Noisy damn helmet, btw. I knew I'd give up a bit of cooling to get more wind protection, and this is good to about 85 degrees. Weather was 100-108 though, so I cooked a fair bit. Wind blast is strong, but smooth and there is no buffeting. Will go back to stock shield for summer commuting, but the improved flow is worth the warmer ride on longer trips.

2) At the highest position, I look through the top 1/2 inch or so of the screen. JGood for bad weather. Still no buffeting. I need the shield up about halfway to get into the "cone", and let me tell you ... NICE! Except for the heat, this is my "sweet spot". I could smoke a cig behind this, if I smoked.

3) MPGs increased over stock from the lowest position through the mid position. About halfway up I was avg'ing 54 mpg at 75 mph. Not bad. Stocker gave me high 40's at 75 mph, and 50 mpg if I could keep it under 70.

4) 3/4 up through full up and the mpgs get worse quickly. At 75 mph I avg'd in the low 40s with the barn door full up. 85-90 mph and it dropped to high 30's.

Misc Info:

Due to the heat on my return trip , I bagged the BBG attempt (108 degrees in Oklahoma) and motelled it until midnight. Then rode I-70 through the night. Had the feej up to 150 Garmin mph for about 30 miles with the barn door full up, then settled on the ton for the rest of that tank. This in the interest of fully testing the new screen. ;) Didn't take long to empty it. Avg was 29.5 mpg that tank. Last experiment of that type! Rest of the ride was at sane speeds, 75-ish, and was so smooth and quiet ... what a treat!

Other than my stock seat leaving an imprint in my backside, I was much less fatigued on this long ride than many previous rides. Better wind management of the CS Tall is certainly the reason.

My lovely pillion went for a ride upon my return. She really hates wind and buffeting. She prefers full up on the CS Tall, as the flow skims just across the top of her helmet. Half to 3/4 up, and that puts the wind only an inch lower ... weird, but I'll take her word on that. Much better than stock and smoother than any bike shes been on thus far. Still not perfect for her, but I'm not sure anything could be.

A couple of gripes:

1) A new whistle has appeared. Killed the old one on the stock screen, but the Cal Sci brings a new one when I have the shield about half up. Maybe I need to remove my whistle "fix" from the stock screen? Maybe it's my Hellas? I'll work on that.

2) Possibly related to the whistle, the screen at higher setting is too flat. My mpgs noted above seem to bear this out. Due to Yamaha mounting design, I think this occurs with all screens. Might have to try the spacer trick.

3) Screen scratches very easily. Even with the microfiber towel provided with the screen, if you have to rub bug guts off, you will get some small scratches.

Small niggles. Thats all. Very happy with the screen and it is worth every penny to make the switch. Plan on using your stock screen when the temps are high! Feel free to ask questions.