Fly The Friendly Skies - or ride the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Canoehead

Reaction score
By now, everyone has seen the debacle that was United's treatment of one of their passengers and the arrogance of their response. United is particularly bad to deal with as a passenger but all of the airlines have been moving away from customer service. Actually, United is much better than they were a few years ago, IMO.

I am a frequent flyer (my job requires it) but over the last couple of years I have been riding to client sites rather than be treated badly at the airport and then crammed into a metal tube for hours on end. It started off riding to clients within 4 hours drive but last summer I rode to SFO for a week of meetings instead of flying. It turned a 2-1/2 flight (one way) into a 3 day trip but I enjoyed every minute of it (and I could probably have done it in two days if I took the interstate).

I also spent a month in Lima, OH last year (literally, it wasn't a month in one night) and wished I had ridden there instead of flying.

So, next month I have to go to Sarnia, ON for a week. Then I was planning on flying to Atlanta to meet a buddy and renting a bike for six days ($1300 from Eaglerider
uhoh.gif
) to do the BRP and Barber, then flying home. Now I am thinking of just riding the FJR.

My reasoning - flying to Sarnia from Calgary is an all-day event - it will be a three day ride that takes me right through Aerostich's front yard. Then I have to get to Detroit (or backtrack to Toronto) to fly to Atlanta and then fly the unfriendly skies home - and there is the matter of renting a bike for crazy money.

My wife says that I am crazy to even consider this - what do you think?

If you can afford the time, riding is usually more fun than flying. The FJR will get you there: rain, sun, heat, cold, traffic jam, or open road with unlimited vistas.

The FJR makes it an adventure, not just a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense to me.

In the last few years I have taken the FJR from PEI to Cary, NC for a 2 week training course. Got to spend a weekend doing the Cherahola, BRP, Dragon etc. Also did the Wheels thru Time museum. Round trip including pleasure was over 5000km.

I have also taken the FJR to Cleveland for work which allowed for a weekend in Southern Ohio which has fantastic roads. I had the same front tire on for both trips and it was the first time I wore out the sides of a tire before the bottom! Its flat where I live.

Both times got paid 'equivalent airfare' in lieu of mileage which covered all of my expenses.

I say if you have the time DO IT.

There is an annual conference in Las Vegas and the last two times I've ridden down. As the arrow flies its 1100 or so miles and easy to ride in two days. The conference is usually Wed thru Sat so I just take Mon, Tues and the following Monday off. One time I went through Utah, New Mexico and Arizona just getting there and deadheaded it back. Much better for my mental state of mind.

Since it looks like about 2,000 miles from you to Sarnia (and 2,000 more back), did you think about renting a bike around there/Detroit/Toronto and riding to Atlanta and back--then flying home? That way you could have the bike during your week in Sarnia too.
smile.png

And you'd still have two long legs on the plane so they could get a couple shots at dragging you off if you get unruly. Post videos if you do.

Beatings can give you the chance to sue and get rich/retire, if you aren't already. Thus, beatings CAN improve morale! ;)

Other than that, fly safe, or better yet ride safe!!

I think you're crazy if you fly when you can ride anywhere anytime. If you have the time and inclination, by all means do it! Hit 'Stich, then ride over the big lake or across the UP. That's all good riding.

Besides, how much fun would it be to ride the dragon and other (many better) roads in the SE on a Harley? Does eagle rider even have anything decent to rent?

Atlanta sucks. but, ive rode all over the country and the roads in north ga are just as good if not better than anywhere. Within a few hours of atl you can be on some amazing roads.

EagleRider actually has some nice bikes (and some crap) for rent in Atlanta:

BMW F 800 GS

BMW R 1200 GS

BMW R 1200 RT

BMW K 1600 GTL

Suzuki V-Strom 650

Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager

Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero® ABS

Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS

Yamaha FJR1300

Yamaha Ténéré 1200

Honda Rebel 250

Honda Shadow 750

Triumph Bonneville T100

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic

Suzuki VZ800 M50

Suzuki VZ1500 M90

YAMAHA STRYKER 1300

Can-Am Spyder RT

The Harleys come from the Atlanta North location, so I didn't even look at those - I can't imagine riding the Tail of the Dragon on a Hog. The problem is the price - by the time you add insurance, taxes, etc, 6 days on an R1200RT is about $1300; it's about $150 less for an FJR (A model) or a C14. You also have to pay up front and you lose your entire amount if you cancel within 30 days.

EagleRider actually has some nice bikes (and some crap) for rent in Atlanta:
Thanks, Canoehead. I did not know that they rented all of those models.

Never looked into renting a bike before, but with those prices, I'd probably rather trailer mine that is all customized to my liking before I rented someone else's stock bike. Jus' sayin'.

s.ga.rider posted: Atlanta sucks.
Ahem. Atlanta does NOT suck.

It provides an economic base for half the southeastern US, and we eat a lot of agricultural products from middle and south Georgia. (as well as food products grown/hatched/processed in Alabama, Tennessee, and both Carolinas.)

And, it provides an exciting place to ride your FJR as you're passing through to somewhere else. (<--- on topic.)

Never looked into renting a bike before, but with those prices, I'd probably rather trailer mine that is all customized to my liking before I rented someone else's stock bike. Jus' sayin'.

If you sped a lot of time slabbing it, fly. If you have the time to ride good roads, take the FJR.

I hadn't thought about the trailering option but it is a good one - I could take my buddy's bike, too, saving him some money. I usually avoid trailering (being a purist) but it would be six days of slab round trip, so the truck would be more comfortable.

I generally drive within 8 hours, but many times that's because I have to be in my "work" vehicle. I do have some instructor recerts happening in NOLA this summer, and since I have no job requirements other than re-certing, I may ride down and back.

Latest posts