Saddlebag disassembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotownJJG

Reaction score
Anyone taken their saddlebags apart?

I have some repair work to do after making close contact with the asphalt while learning to "lane split".

Thinking of removing the outer cover & spraying it with bedliner. I'd ike to take it apart to do so.

Or maybe (but they're so expensive!) buy a new outer cover and replace the old one.

Anyone done this? Taken theirs apart? Replaced the cover only?

thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my saddlebag lids was moderately scratched from a parking lot fall.

It's fairly straightforward to drill-out the rivets on the bag hinges and remove the lid.

I sent the saddlbag lid to Garauld (forum member) and had it repainted

for $75.00. He even provided the proper sized rivets to reattach the lid.

Turned out very nice.

Much cheaper than buying a new lid.

Good luck,

Steve

See, if you woulda 'lane shared' instead of 'lane split', you wouldn't be asking this question. Live and learn, eh?

The lid will detach from the hinges only. Drill out the rivets and bolt back together. The inner panels are glued on with some sort of unobtainium, so forget about 'splitting' them apart.

Sincerely,

-Man With Issues

See, if you woulda 'lane shared' instead of 'lane split', you wouldn't be asking this question. Live and learn, eh?
The lid will detach from the hinges only. Drill out the rivets and bolt back together. The inner panels are glued on with some sort of unobtainium, so forget about 'splitting' them apart.

Sincerely,

-Man With Issues

You miss that mocking bird, don't ya? :lol:

<snip>
some sort of unobtainium, so forget about 'splitting' them apart.

<snip>
"unobtainium", eh? Rats. The front plastic hook that attaches to the frame is what's cracked. Tried using gorilla glue to put it back together and it wouldn't hold back on the bike, hook just broke again at the crack.

Oh well. Who's got the best prices on replacements?

Thats why I leave them home and ride with the top case..... oh, but I have kicked them while they were down....

So they have some scratches on them, from me trying to trip myself while stepping over them while they were on the garage floor...

oh well, adds to the traveled look.....

So what did you try to split and did they close the door on you?????

Oh well. Who's got the best prices on replacements?
I just replaced both my bags. I was lucky enough to find a pair of very gently used ones, but while I was looking, the best price I found for new parts was Mr Cycle.. There is a thread around here somewhere listing the dealers that have been recommended by forum members. One new bag, complete, is almost $500. Just the lid will only save you about $100.

I just received my FZ-1 mirrors from MRCycles.

Took about a week before they shipped.

Good prices.

If you decide to "explore" their web site and think to yourself "hey, they sell FJR hats! I can always use another one of those, I think I'll order one!" - don't. They're out of stock and god only knows how long I'll - oops I mean you will have to wait for it.

Today when I opened my left bag the lid just about fell off.

Three of the 4 rivits pulled out.

I finished taking the bag apart to repair and reasemble it when I noticed that one of the shims inside of the lid was missing.

2 of the pop rivits were just holding fiberglass..

I should have it back together tomarrow.

If you decide to "explore" their web site and think to yourself "hey, they sell FJR hats!
You want an FJR hat? Just wait until EOM. There are always a small ton to be given away. I doubt that, in the last 2 years, any participant in the EOM has gone w/o getting at least 1 FJR hat.

Heidi

Latest posts