bike was running

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05fjrBluedevil

Reaction score
Hey I had the bike running last night, the bike shut off by it self now it will not start....

I think i checked all the fuses, but they all appear to be good..... i turn the key everything seems to be as normal...

I hit the starter button and it just turns and turns but does not fire....

I think i noticed before this that the pc111 would have one green bar with key in all position, but now it goes through its seq. then i see no green bar on the fuel indictor.....

I also see er1 on the meter when i try to check it out.....

any thoughts?????

Hey I had the bike running last night, the bike shut off by it self now it will not start....
I think i checked all the fuses, but they all appear to be good..... i turn the key everything seems to be as normal...

I think i noticed before this that the pc111 would have one green bar with key in all position, but now it goes through its seq. then i see no green bar on the fuel indictor.....

any thoughts?????
Not sure if you were doing anything with the PCIII when this happened, but I'll bet a beer it is the PCIII. I had the same symptoms on my 05 and had to send the unit back to them for reflash of the memory. Truth be told, I screwed it up with what I was doing.

Pull your PCIII connections and go back to stock. If it fires, you need to get the PCIII fixed. By the way, you can just lift the tank and swap connectors to check for starting. No need to completly undo the install until you confirm it is the PCIII.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the ER1 on the PCIII or on your display?

display

any thoughts?????
Not sure if you were doing anything with the PCIII when this happened, but I'll bet a beer it is the PCIII. I had the same symptoms on my 05 and had to send the unit back to them for reflash of the memory. Truth be told, I screwed it up with what I was doing.

Pull your PCIII connections and go back to stock. If it fires, you need to get the PCIII fixed. By the way, you can just lift the tank and swap connectors to check for starting. No need to completly undo the install until you confirm it is the PCIII.
I hope that is what it is, I didn't think to check it last night but will tonight when i get home.... sure wanted to ride today......

Do you have a laptop with the power commander software on it?

You may just need to reload the map and recalibrate the throttle.

When I got my bike, the guy had disconnected the PCIII because of similar issues. I just hooked it up to my pc, redid everything, and it was fine.

If that doesn't work, then raise the tank and try what duff said.

Do you have a laptop with the power commander software on it?
You may just need to reload the map and recalibrate the throttle.

When I got my bike, the guy had disconnected the PCIII because of similar issues. I just hooked it up to my pc, redid everything, and it was fine.

If that doesn't work, then raise the tank and try what duff said.
Thanks

I hope this is what it is...... i will pop the fittings out since the tank is already up and reconnect it to see if it starts without the pc111, if it does then i will try to reload the pc111, if it doesn't i am sure i will be stumped for a bit...... :unsure:

Since you had an error code you may want to check the PCIII first, but there is another possibility too.

You don't say how long your bike was running... It isn't an uncommon (search will return many threads) when a cold engine gets run for a few minutes, and then shut off, for it down it not start again. If the ECU still had the 'cold enrichment' map running when you shut off it will in essence flood the engine. The solution is to hold the throttle fully open and then crank the engine in 3-5 second bursts. This will almost always start a flooded engine providing the battery is fully charged.

Since you had an error code you may want to check the PCIII first, but there is another possibility too.
You don't say how long your bike was running... It isn't an uncommon (search will return many threads) when a cold engine gets run for a few minutes, and then shut off, for it down it not start again. If the ECU still had the 'cold enrichment' map running when you shut off it will in essence flood the engine. The solution is to hold the throttle fully open and then crank the engine in 3-5 second bursts. This will almost always start a flooded engine providing the battery is fully charged.
i actually had the bike running for a while and it had already moved to idle, it was running fine and then it just turned it self off.... :unsure:

I tried to start bike, no luck. It would just try but not fire, I knew the fuel rail was receiving fuel, i checked all fuses including up too and removing the main and placing it back in to make sure it was okay.

i got home last night and tried to fire her up with no luck again, so i decided to pull the pc111 and reconnect the fittings to stock, sure enough it fired right up.

Thx Keith....you were right on with this....

i removed the pc111, and charged the battery a little bit then she fired right up. then i played around with the bike and got everything wired in the way i wanted it. So now my aux lights are finally on the main switch....

Actually now my whole buss box is on a relay, powered from the parking lights and then fused from battery... :rolleyes: I moved things around under the seat and got everything just the way i want them for now.....

So i had to come into work this morning and decided to ride!!!!!!!!!

So I noticed a difference, that i have not noticed before.... I hooked the pc111 back up and buttoned everything back up last night... So it's 1 am and I'm done :yahoo: smiling.....

So this morning she fires right up, i got my tunes going, heated gear running and my aux lights.... Bike is jumping between 12.65 and 13.+ so i turn down my heated gear a bit and continue, here is where the difference comes in.

First, I noticed that my lights are going full on to dim and that continues for the whole ride in to work, Like I have a modulater on them, but i do not.... :angry2:

Then I notice as i am running at high way speeds the bike is spurtering, like losing gas then getting it back.... Kind of like in the old days when you had a car with those funky fuel filters that were clogging...... Any thoughts.......

I had just filled up a few days before this so the gas should have been okay......

So I guess those are my two concerns.....

1. lights act light someone is turning a dimmer switch back and fourth.....

2. Bike seems to misfire or sputter at high way speeds... 70+

i will test going home in a few to see if this happens at any other speeds... But prior to the bike stalling out on its own, this never occurred before.....

Anythoughts would be helpful>>>>>>

Thx Mike

ps, i noticed that the pc111 had no map in it so i reloaded the map and i think its in there....

i noticed while on the 9 volt battery i could send the map to the pc111 but with out it on the 9 volt I could not, i would get an error sending the map on ignition/ main switch power.....

maybe the pc111 is corrupted or something......

i noticed while on the 9 volt battery i could send the map to the pc111 but with out it on the 9 volt I could not, i would get an error sending the map on ignition/ main switch power.....
The PCIII must have power to load a map. The power can come from hooking the PCIII up and turning the ignition on, (with or without starting the bike) or from the 9V.

As for the other problems, weird.......

Maybe try running no PCIII and see if you find the same issues? Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

The PCIII must have power to load a map. The power can come from hooking the PCIII up and turning the ignition on, (with or without starting the bike) or from the 9V.

Maybe try running no PCIII and see if you find the same issues? Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Seemed to only load from 9 volt gattery hool up....

Road over to my sons in jtown today and after my high speed run over 30-45 min later it wouldnt stay running, like it lost the map... so i popped the tank, removed the fittings nad set back to stock and she fired right up and ran fine another high speed run back home.. so maybe the pc111 is missed up... think i'll give them a shout.....

My bike (06) has to be running or use the 9 volt adapter. The PC gets its power from the fuel rail which is only energized for a little while with just the key on ( the noise you hear when you turn the key on that stops). :rolleyes:

i noticed while on the 9 volt battery i could send the map to the pc111 but with out it on the 9 volt I could not, i would get an error sending the map on ignition/ main switch power.....maybe the pc111 is corrupted or something......
You won't be able to access the PC3 unless the motor is actually running, just having the ignition on won't do it.

The 9v battery as you know doesn't require the ignition on or the motor running.

i noticed while on the 9 volt battery i could send the map to the pc111 but with out it on the 9 volt I could not, i would get an error sending the map on ignition/ main switch power.....maybe the pc111 is corrupted or something......
You won't be able to access the PC3 unless the motor is actually running, just having the ignition on won't do it.

The 9v battery as you know doesn't require the ignition on or the motor running.
Isn't that what I said?

Isn't that what I said?

Yeah sounds like that is the thing i need to do, I was going to ride today, but they said ice on the roads, didn't look that bad my route, but many cages had issues this morning around here..... wrecks wrecks wrecks... glad i drove the cage....

i will take a look at it maybe tonight, because tomorrow is going to be a nice riding day.....

I think i tried to save the map to the pc111 with the bike running and kept getting a error saving map, then when it was only on 9 volt it saved, maybe i ddn't have it running... i will try that, but i know it had the map and somehow lost the map, unless the ground came off the battery.... I will look for that first tonight....

Well thanks to all once again, at least the good thing is i knew enough of what was wrong to get home, I didn't want to leave my baby out in the cold.....besides, the look on Teresa'a face when she showed up to get me would have been priceless.... So i am glad that that didn't happen......

thx Mike