My upper triple tree bracket fractured!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorlac

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Because of this: :angry: [/SIZE]

15qtg7r.jpg

I'm glad I have the YES plan till 6/27 cause I'm pretty sure this would be considered a defect.

What's up with these fasteners? My FSM is unclear as far as I can tell, but Ron Ayers shows the ignition switch bolted to the "handle crown" 5JW-23435-11-00.

2vm7ksy.jpg

j9xdnr.jpg

But these don't look like bolt heads to me!

Do I need to Dremel a slot into them and then try and use a flat blade on them, WTF???

mtt2di.jpg

It's designed so someone can't easily unbolt the ignition switch to supposedly steal the bike.

There's a thread somewhere (that I'm too lazy to search for) about changing out the triple tree that includes instructions. Might be under a heli clamp upgrade, but I think the original was when Warchild had his powdercoated.

Start with a small drill bit and drill a hole in the center. Then work you way up through the bigger bits, making the hole bigger with each one. Once you get to a big enough drill bit, that head will break loose and just pop right off.

Worked like a charm when we installed the Heli Triple Clamp a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, it's covered. Mine snapped the exact same way just as I began to apply torque to the bolt:
Did the dealer R&R the ignition switch or did you?Are these fasteners threaded or just pressed in, and how would I replace the switch on the new bracket if they are pressed in, tap the hole for a real bolt?

If you have YES then why not let the dealer take care of it?

Did it break while you were riding or during maintenance?

Getting the bike to the dealer would be problematic at this point.
I'd think the Y.E.S. will cover a tow charge, unless they blame you for doing your own maintenance, (which I wouldn't tell them how it happened). Maybe hitting a pothole caused it???

Did the dealer R&R the ignition switch or did you?Are these fasteners threaded or just pressed in, and how would I replace the switch on the new bracket if they are pressed in, tap the hole for a real bolt?
Yes, the dealer did the change-out. I'll have to look tonight to see what they did (I can't bloody remember and I have the Wabs today) so I'll report later. I do remember that the fix wasn't pretty, but it did the job.

Well I just got back from the dealer nearest me, and although Craig was helpful and was 90% certain Yami would cover the bracket, we agreed

that I'd pay Ron Ayers price for the bracket if YES balked.

I'm on the hook for drilling out the bolts and need to bring the bracket back to him this week.

Not real happy about this and I hope it works out, but since the YES plan came from the PO, it didn't cost me anything.

Needless to say, if YES declines something this obvious, I'll not be renewing in June.

Well I just got back from the dealer nearest me, and although Craig was helpful and was 90% certain Yami would cover the bracket, we agreedthat I'd pay Ron Ayers price for the bracket if YES balked.

I'm on the hook for drilling out the bolts and need to bring the bracket back to him this week.

Not real happy about this and I hope it works out, but since the YES plan came from the PO, it didn't cost me anything.

Needless to say, if YES declines something this obvious, I'll not be renewing in June.
Renewing? You can renew YES?

Your dealer is whack... My dealer insisted on changing out the ignition exactly for the issue of warranty even though we were into the YES period of the warranty. :dntknw:

Zorlac,

The fasteners for the ignition key are security bolts that I suspect are put in and then the head is snapped off. Just dimple them with a center punch and drill them out.

If you run into troubles getting an upper triple clamp let me know, I have one I can send you.

I installed a Heli upper triple clamp last year, my old one is stitting on a shelf.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Zorlac,If you run into troubles getting an upper triple clamp let me know, I have one I can send you.

I installed a Heli upper triple clamp last year, my old one is stitting on a shelf.

Best of luck!
WOW! Thanks! I'm hoping that by early next week I'll have one covered by the YES plan, but if not, I might take you up on the offer.

I drilled out the switch mounting bolts as suggested, and they are threaded in, with a copious amount of blue loctite.

I'm hoping that by early next week I'll have one covered by the YES plan, but if not, I might take you up on the offer.
If you have an '05 that wasn't covered under YES within the first year...you're out of luck. Once the one year window expires Yamaha will NOT allow for addition or modification of YES coverage.

If a particular dealer claims they are covering.....check VERY carefully as it isn't actually Yamaha YES coverage.

If you have an '05 that wasn't covered under YES within the first year...you're out of luck. Once the one year window expires Yamaha will NOT allow for addition or modification of YES coverage.
The PO bought a two year YES plan I believe at the time of purchase and gave me documentation that says it expires on 6/27/08.Would I be able to continue with YES coverage as long as I buy another plan before this one expires?

That's what I meant by renewing the YES coverage.