New 2005 small problems.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefkpr

Reaction score
I set out on a 450 mile ride yesterday on my 2005 fjr1300. The bike only has 1200 miles on it and I noticed almost unbearable heat on my legs coming from the engine. My legs were actually slightly blistered. I have read about the mods on the older fjr's but was wondering if anyone has been able to reduce or solve this problem on the 2005. Sure it was extremely hot yesterday however I have ridden lots of other bikes without this problem. Being that this is a new bike for me just thought those of you who have had them for a while could help. One other thing with only 1200 miles the bike seemed to idle very rough. idling up and down. Missed a few times during hard acceleration. I checked the TPS using the diagnostic mode and it seemed fine. I am thinking I need to sync the throttle bodies??????? Any ideas on this. Thanks in advance.

With your VIN in hand, call or stop by a Yamaha dealer and they can tell you if your FJR's TPS is part of the recall and if it has been changed.

The heat will get better as it breaks in. 1.2k miles is nothing. If it is your thighs from the gas tank, that will get much better as you get miles on it. There are ways to insulate the tank to improve the heat isolation. Keeping the tank above 1/4 full will really help. The tank has roasted more than one set of nuts. If it is your calves, the heat will get better as it breaks in, there are various things people have tried to improve air flow. FWIW, my '04 had dragons breath when new but with miles it went away and I forgot about it. This spring I installed a whole new cylinder head, cams, valves and rings (don't ask, groan!). Suddenly the dragon is back. I've now put ~450 miles on the rebuilt engine and the heat is just starting to get better with every ride.

Your idle shouldn't be rough. At only 1.2k miles the TPS shouldn't be involved, it fails from early wear-out, but not this early. Very definitely check the TBS. 1.2k miles/3 yrs = 400 mile/year :blink: It sure wouldn't hurt to run a dose of Techron or Seafoam through the fuel system to chase any possible varnish build-up. If you haven't done so, check the air filter, it is a known fact that little furry rodents love to nest in the air boxes of unused motorcycles. True!

Lean motorcycles tend to run hot. The '03 through '05 model years tended to be very lean. Bumping the CO may help, some claim so. Search Barbarian Mod. Adding a PCIII helps.

Well, that's a few starter items. Welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Yeah I know 400 miles LOL!!! I forgot to mention I have a 2002 R1 that I rode most of the time. I recently sold it so now the FJR is going to be getting some miles racked up on it. Hell I put on over 400 miles on yesterday. Once again I really appreciate your information.

I always wear overpants over my jeans. Not only are they good crash protection, but they also help insulate me from the heat.

Update on the idling problem: Checked with the dealer to see if my TPS was part of the recall they said it was not. I checked the air filter and it looks brand new. No pesky rodents. Lifted tank and checked all electrical connectors and fuel lines for corrosion or pinching, Everything was fine. Ordered my Morgan Carbtune today. Hopefully the throttle body sync will fix my problem. If anyone can think of anything else I should check please post away. Thanks to all.

Nice try there reef, yer heat is an ole story....yer just stir`n up sum shit around here. Do u work for Honda perhaps?!

Dude!!!

You are telling me that before a few days ago, you had only ridden your FJR 750 miles in two years?!?!?!

Something fishy here.

Yes I'm serious The Fjr has been sitting. I had a 2002 Yamaha R1 that I rode most of the time. I know it's hard to believe but I will take a picture of the odometer and the original invoice. Also not trying to stir up anything around here just simply stating the facts of what happened on my ride. Basically this was my first long trip on the fjr since I've owned it and it's what I experienced. My lower legs looked like they were sunburned. (Wearing 501 levis) If it's something I have to live with then so be it. I was looking for a simple fix that I was sure someone has done to help with this problem. Anyone tried the Cromeits heat mod on the 2005?

My 05' only had 8600m on it when I got it last year and I noticed the shin melting powers the bike had. However, having just come off a vmax, it wasn't all that bad. After doubling the milage in less then a year I've noticed that the heat has either died down, or I've gotten used to it entirely. The only time I notice it now is if I'm in stop and go traffic on a hot day.

Ebay has insulator blankets that go under the tank to help with some of the heat flow that tends to go to your neather regions and some here will swear by them. I haven't tried it so I can't really say.

Yes I'm serious The Fjr has been sitting. I had a 2002 Yamaha R1 that I rode most of the time. I know it's hard to believe but I will take a picture of the odometer and the original invoice. Also not trying to stir up anything around here just simply stating the facts of what happened on my ride. Basically this was my first long trip on the fjr since I've owned it and it's what I experienced. My lower legs looked like they were sunburned. (Wearing 501 levis) If it's something I have to live with then so be it. I was looking for a simple fix that I was sure someone has done to help with this problem. Anyone tried the Cromeits heat mod on the 2005?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Did the Crommit heat fix on my 04 (the same as an 05). Works very well on the left side eliminating probably 75% of the heat.. An under tank insulation pad works and wrapping the header helps a bit too... I cut down the windshield (for summer riding) to evacuate heat in the cockpit (cut down to the same height as the mirrors). It also seems to help ventilate heat coming off the engine.. Much easier to tolerate in SW Florida.. With the crommit heat fix, it does take slightly longer for the engine to come down one bar when its hot (but not bad)... As for idleing, slightly rough when starting, smooth as silk within a minute...

I have read about the mods on the older fjr's but was wondering if anyone has been able to reduce or solve this problem on the 2005.
I guess that you don't realize that your '05 "IS" one of the older FJR's, huh? :rolleyes:

I ride an '04. I haven't done any heat mods to my bike at all. I figure that it's built the way it is for a reason & I'm not blocking the heat's possible escape routes.

My cure to the problem? I don't ride when it's above 90ish degrees. Here in VA it's plenty humid in the summer & 90 & above is VERY hot, here. At those temps, I want to be in my car w/ AC, anyway.

Any other time, I wear riding pants. RP make a huge difference.

I agree, your idling problem sounds like either the Throttle Positioning Sensor or the bike running lean. I'll put my money on the bike running lean. In an essence, the bike is almost new. I seriously doubt that you're having problems w/ the TPS even if it is included in the recall.

Heidi

I also found that during the times when it is so hot just move your knees out from the bike about an inch and you will cool down...

Buy some longer nuts for the windshield and add 3/4" OF WASHERS to lift the front of the windshield up, make a tremendous difference to the heat and of course a short windscreen will also help.

Neville

Crommitt fix and highway pegs :thumbsup:

and a naked bike for those 90 degree plus days.

Thanks to everyone. I am waiting for my Morgan Carbtune to get here so I can Check out the bike. Once I have checked that I might try the Crommitt fix for the heat issue. I went for a ride yesterday and my bike is running so rough. Hesitation and rough erratic idle. Have a great weekend.

If ya don't run it....it'll run like crap. Ride that thing....and get some leather pants er sumptin. That'll take care of the shinburn. I suggest assless chaps......skooterG gets all uppity and stuff when he hears about them.