Ignition switch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad

Reaction score
My bike won't start in gear with the stand up. Got to put it in neutral for the starter to work. Seems to have started since I had it at Plaistow Powersports for an oil change and tps recall. Also, since they drained my Mobil One MXT and replaced it with 10-40w drum oil it's noisier and I just noticed an oily discharge under the blow off tubes in a parking lot. Any ideas on either issue? Thanks, Conrad

Last edited by a moderator:
...Seems to have started since I had it at Plaistow Powersports...Any ideas on either issue?...
You nailed it, Plaistow Powersports is the issue. Take your bike *anyplace else*, IMO.

I suspect that the oil under the bike is just the result of shoddy workmanship leaving oil all over the underside of your bike. I see no reason why they would not have screwed up your side stand switch at the same time, it is in the general vicinity of the oil filter and drain screw. Seriously, do check your side stand switch for oil & dirt.

Plaistow PS is only ~7 miles from my house but if I must go to a dealer I go to one that is 30 miles away to avoid them. I refuse to even buy parts from them. Once upon a time they were a great dealership but as you can tell, I'm no fan of the most recent owners.

If you continue to have problems and you are local to the area maybe we could hook up some time and shoot some troubles :)

Edited: I see the quick fingered Iggy covered it AND included links plus tips!

Conrad,

I can help. You know how to find me.

Eff the Stealership.

I thought of the switch but figured if it prevented starting in gear with the stand down and was gummed up it would kill the motor when I shifted into first with it up. I'll check out the link of course and see if it fixes the prob.

IIRC, I had this problem when my 04 FJR was very new. Turned out to be the switch that is attached to the clutch lever. I removed it cleaned it out and all was good again. It's the switch that tells the ECU the clutch lever is pulled in and therefore safe to start things a whirring while in gear.