06 Ignition problems Canadian bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadi

Reaction score
I had an ignition failure last summer and although repaired by the dealer and I thought it was the wires pulling out as discussed in the forum. I experienced another total failure last week. This time the dealer said the key lost its programing and the bike went into theft mode (the immobizer kicked in). I don't know how this happens. I brought my red key in, they reprogrammed the black one and all was fine again. I will be carring my spare key with me from now on.

Also had a strange occurence when I turned the bike to the on position the display lit up and died. Putting the key in between the off and on position fired up the electronics and the bike. Did not really want to ride with the key between the two postions as a jiggle in either direction would shut it down as it is not "locked" when in the middle. Took it back to the dealer and unfortunatley the problem went away and the dealer could not reproduce the effect. Any thoughts on what would cause this?

Gadi

I wonder if this current issue might not be some corrosion on the pads in the ignition switch . . maybe a bit of contact cleaner squirted into the lock could help?

I had an ignition failure last summer and although repaired by the dealer and I thought it was the wires pulling out as discussed in the forum. I experienced another total failure last week. This time the dealer said the key lost its programing and the bike went into theft mode (the immobizer kicked in). I don't know how this happens. I brought my red key in, they reprogrammed the black one and all was fine again. I will be carring my spare key with me from now on.
Also had a strange occurence when I turned the bike to the on position the display lit up and died. Putting the key in between the off and on position fired up the electronics and the bike. Did not really want to ride with the key between the two postions as a jiggle in either direction would shut it down as it is not "locked" when in the middle. Took it back to the dealer and unfortunatley the problem went away and the dealer could not reproduce the effect. Any thoughts on what would cause this?

Gadi
This sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing on my Canadian 06. Check the top part of this technical forum for details on my problem. Be ready for a shock should you have to chnage the lock.

One has to wonder why Yamaha wouldn't cover the switch under the extended waranty, when they DO cover it under the initial one?

The YPP is supposed to cover everything the original warranty does, just for longer.

However, from another post on the topic just today it sounds like Yamaha USA is going to issue a recall - or at least some sort of special procedure to deal with lock failures - if the US goes this route, you'll hopefully have the right to claim compensation back from Yamaha Canada.

Gadi
This sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing on my Canadian 06. Check the top part of this technical forum for details on my problem. Be ready for a shock should you have to chnage the lock.
Where is your post? I have already prepped the dealer for a possible new switch, they don't seem to be balking too much they just want to reproduce the problem. Can you send me the link to the post.

[email protected]

Gadi
Where is your post? I have already prepped the dealer for a possible new switch, they don't seem to be balking too much they just want to reproduce the problem. Can you send me the link to the post.

[email protected]
DON'T WORRY ABOUT SENDING ME THE LINK I FOUND IT.

THANKS

Gadi

[email protected]
Here's the link

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry449010

Look at the very top of the technical/mechincal problems forum and there is a lengthy discussion of the ignition switch problem