1K Miles - An honest review !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGuz

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just reached the 1K mile break-in mark on my 2023 FJR-ESP and wanted to write down some thoughts both positive and negative regarding this motorcycle.
Have never written a review on any motorcycle, but am really enjoying riding it so here it is! Hoping maybe some of the vast knowledge on this forum may have some input as well!

My two wheel experience includes owning various bikes started in the early 80s (CZ-250) that included many different 2 stroke and four stroke adventures through the years. A slew of Yamaha enduros (Yamaha IT 175 and 465, DT250, XT500 and XT600). A KZ1000 Z1R, an RD-350B, a Virago and my last bike of 13 years a 2006 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours. There may have been some others here and there, but these are the ones I remember well.

Have ridden quite a few different machines also including a Kawasaki ZXR at the Keith Code Superbike School at VIR just to be a better street rider. Not flexing, just to inform the reader that I have some credentials and have been around on a lot of machines. Been riding, wrenching and obsessed with anything with a motor and wheels, especially 2 wheels since I was 15 yrs old.

Was a huge King Kenny Roberts (Sr) fan and after seeing him ride a GP bike, I decided did not want to race professionally on 2 wheels!

Fast forward to today and like many of you, I agonized about which motorcycle to buy.

First what type? Wanted shaft drive and am well past the enduro riding position and off roading. Also don’t like to ride with my feet way out in front of my body, which eliminated the cruiser bikes. I also like the feel of an old school seating position as well (15yrs on a old ZG1000 Concours for example) as it is familiar. And didn’t want to ride a land yacht that weighs more than a small car.

These requirements got me to sport bike or sport tourer. Since I am probably not responsible enough (or young enough) for a hardcore sport bike, a sport tourer it was, but which one?

I wanted good performance, value for the money, comfort, reliability, ease of maintenance, good dealer network and a strong online forum.

My Concours ZG1000 was an amazing machine, the newer faster modern version was really nice, but too much of a sport bike riding position, valve adjustments every 7500 miles and a lot complaining about the hassle of removing the bodywork all the time to change oils etc.
Also a friend had purchased a new one a while ago and while he loves it, he says the maintenance is a bit of a pain, so a new Connie was out.

I also really considered purchasing a used BMW RT1200 (not overpaying paying for a new one!). After a lot of research and reading, I test rode the RT1200 and it was a really nice smooth riding bike with a lot of features and electronics. I did not like the intrusive traction control cutting the motor off abruptly under hard acceleration. First time riding a boxer twin also which was somewhat funky feeling, but I liked it actually. When you blipped the throttle at idle, the bike actually jumped to the side a little. Weird. Lots of power and torque, it is a cool motor.

The deal killer for me was the gearbox that literally felt like a German tractor with bad clunking (built into the design) as noted on the many forums. There was a lot comments about “adjust your shifting, wear different boots, turn it off at the light and then put it in gear type comments.” I just thought every time I shift this bike into 1st, 2nd or third I am going to regret this purchase.

So it was just a disappointment after all the hype of hearing people for years obsessing over Beemers and the wonderful German engineering, smoothness, ultimate riding machine blah blah blah… It wasn’t for me and it didn't feel right.

I had ridden an FJR in 2018 a few years back during a dealer demo and really liked it. It was awesome, smooth, fast, comfortable and everything I wanted in a machine. Felt it could commute, ride out to the mountains and blast out short trips on the weekends as well. Was getting ready to pull the trigger and BOOM certain events shut down the world.

Fast forward to 2023 and (finally) took the plunge on only my second new motorcycle ever since I’ve been riding! A 2023 FJR-ESP in blue. She’s such a beauty and such a fantastic ride.

Already changed the windscreen to factory touring as it wasn’t tall enough for me. Also added a Adaptiv radar detector with an LED flasher as well. Not sure about that one yet. I did figure out I will not have my cell phone mounted while I ride, as it was just way too distracting (for me). I have the RAM mounts in case I need to navigate or change my mind, but for now will just use the force to navigate or stop and look at a map.

I liked the dealer experience purchasing and doing the first maintenance there; however, one negative was the mechanic said the bars weren’t adjustable on this model, but now I disagree after seeing a few videos about it. I think they just didn’t want to mess with it or didn’t actually refer to the manual. The mechanic said just to get risers, but I don’t need much of a change, so I’ll attempt it on my own soon. The riding position is pretty good, but I want to move the bars back a little just to see if I like it even better.

The seat also makes my rear end a little numb after about 1.5 hours, but it may just be an age thing. Also I had the seat in the lower position for a while, but think it feels better in the higher position so we’ll see if it helps with the longevity as well. I am 6’1 inseam 32 and almost flat foot with the seat in the high position. IT also helped a little with the bars.

One thing I really like about this bike is; every bike I have ridden or owned previously, I always want to find another gear when already in the top gear. I am both surprised and amazed how I have only done that twice in 1K miles! It always seems like I always have the extra gear I want (need?) and damn the motor is amazing. Holy crap it is quick! It is definitely faster than I expected for the weight of this machine. It also handles really well also considering the weight.

First bike I’ve ridden extensively with adjustable suspension, cruise control, heated grips and adjustable windscreen etc. I like these options and it really adds to the rideability. Not sure I will ever get used to cruise, but it is nice in short intervals to rest the throttle hand. The interface menu is a little counter-intuitive but I’m getting the hang of it now. Had to google how to reset the trip meter which is not connected to the interface, but a separate button below the traction control button.

Almost all the electronics on the bike work really well like traction control, abs etc it is awesome. Definitely gives the rider confidence.

Negatives about the bike:

Small one: The grips are too hard for my liking, but will be looking to upgrade those. Not sure how that works with the heated grips so I’ll do a little research first. Looks like Grip Buddies might be an option.

Big dislike is the electronic fly by wire throttle. Probably some bias on my part due to so many years with carburation, slides and cable feel, but I’ve noticed it lacks true feel. I am adapting slowly, but he throttle sometimes feels delayed, vague, and sometimes choppy rolling on or off. The sport mode also just feels really jumpy at low speeds it is a little annoying and kind of dangerous unless you are really smooth rolling on at low speeds. Also the abrupt fuel cutoff when closing the throttle is really noticeable.

Another mode between touring and sport would be better as well. Have read Ivan's tune fixes most of the types of issues I am describing, but am waiting until the warranty is up to do that one.

The luggage also feels a little flimsy opening and closing, the mounting with the handles closing has a cheap flimsy feeling as well. Part of my issue is I was used to the rock solid “Samsonites” that came on the old ZG1000. Also disappointed my helmet doesn’t fit in the side case. I wear an extra large Shoei and it will not go in no matter which way I turn it. Hoping that the color matching 39L top case will fit the helmet and this on my horizon, along with the upgraded luggage rack, (kind of BS I have to upgrade that on a bike this expensive).

The other “real” issue I have so far is the gearbox seems to clunk sometimes mostly after warmup. I know I can be a little lazy with the clutch and a little rough with the shifter sometime. But it feels like on lower rpm shifts it makes a clunk sometimes and also down shifting into first can be loud as well. Was thinking some of it is me, some of it is the new drivetrain, and maybe some of it is the stock weight or type of oil. I did adjust the shift lever up a bit and that seemed to help a little, it was right in the middle and now it is at the top setting. It didn’t solve all the occasional clunking though.

It is a fantastic bike riding fast or slow. It is just as happy cruising along at 2500 rpm at 55 or an 8K screaming shift. It doesn’t really care what gear it is in and pulls like a train in most situations. It is a comfortable, quiet, smooth, extremely fast and amazing machine.

All the negatives will work out over time or I will just learn to live with them. The positives far outweigh the negatives. Mostly it feels like I am just nitpicking as it is hard to find the negatives without looking hard. Also I have only ridden 1K miles on her. I can see owning this machine for many years to come and will get to know Rosie as in "Whole Lotta Rosie" better as time marches on.

I can say, like many of you, I did my due diligence before purchasing it and it has paid off in spades.

One of the biggest positives for me was the amount of FJR junkies out there who can solve any issue with these beasts. I appreciate you all and the amount of effort you have put in to make this such a fantastic community.

Proud to be a part of it now and see you out there! Maybe another update at 10K!

JGuz

Attachments

• 20230509_164457.jpg
    20230509_164457.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230510_095920.jpg
    20230510_095920.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230506_154207.jpg
    20230506_154207.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230903_105434.jpg
    20230903_105434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I had two Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours machines spanning 19 years and I really enjoyed them, but the FJR is just light years ahead of those 1980's tech Kawasakis. I'm not putting the Kawasakis down because they were a fantastic bargain and really quite good. About the only thing I miss about them is their larger fairing size when the weather turns wet and colder.

Were I you, I'd not cruise along @ 2500 RPM in top gear a whole bunch, but yeah, the FJR is quite torquey.

I thought the Kawasaki bags were more flimsy than the Yamaha examples but definitely more roomy inside. The Yamaha bags are much easier to mount/dismount to/from the bike and I really like the bag handle lock to bike function. To each their own.

Clunky gearbox? I keep mine in gear when stopped and if starting the motor after it is hot, I'll put it in 1st gear before hitting the start button. It will also shift better around 4k RPM with moderate driveline loading vs. pussyfooting it. Sometimes I'm smooth pussyfooting it but it's difficult to get consistent smooth shifts. I'd recommend not doing the 1st to 2nd gear shift under WFO acceleration conditions because the 6 speed gearboxes may not be as robust as the 5 speeders. That being said, I don't do it with my 5 speed unit. Others may have differing opinions on that.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new steed and I wish you many happy miles to come.

I also came from a 2006 Connie. I loved that ride. When I got the 2023 FJR, the Connie went to my son. I also looked at the new Concours and the BMW1250. The Connie 14 just didn't appeal to me as much as the FJR. The BMW was $8,000 more for only a couple of additional features so the value was not there for me.

My FJR has 8,000 km (4,800 miles for you guys south of the border). It feels much lighter than Connie although on a tip over it seemed heavier to pick up. I have the T-Rex tip over bars so not a mark, plus I was stopped.

My helmet fit in Connie's bags but not the FJR. I have a large Givi case and it fits there. The FJR is so smooth and powerful but Connie had enough for me. I added cruise control to Connie.

The FJR is better in almost every way except the mirrors are not as good and have more limited adjustment. The seat is not as comfortable. Not as much wind protection. At highway speeds you didn't get almost except your fingers and toes on Connie. The FJR is a wonderful bike with a mediocre seat. The only clucking I get is shifting from neutral to first at a stop.

I did figure out I will not have my cell phone mounted while I ride, as it was just way too distracting (for me). I have the RAM mounts in case I need to navigate or change my mind, but for now will just use the force to navigate or stop and look at a map.
I navigate with an Android app named Kurviger using voice only. There are lots a navigation programs out there that can do the same. I have my phone mounted on a RAM mount but the screen is left off while I'm riding. I can stop and look at the map any time I want but I very rarely need to. The navigation program interrupts my music with voice notifications of upcoming turns. I plot multi-day routes and it's very reliable. I have inexpensive BlueTooth earbuds that I use with it.

Also the FJR speedo is off by 8% high. I have to get a reading of 108 kph to actually go 100 kph. The Connie speedo was very accurate.

The thing with the FJR is how it grows on you. The longer I ride it, the more I like it. Been riding a 99 BMW K 1200 LT for the last eight years. I grew tired of spending the BMW money every time I went in for service. They never told me they wouldn't work on it though. Yamaha on the other hand; would not work on my 06 FJR because it was over 10 years old. Luckily the FJR is easier to work on than the BMW.... so many special tools...... 🤬 AND so much lighter! Two gripes I have; the key won't come out of anything that's unlocked, and the windshield goes down when you cut the key off! Mine is the 5 speed and shifts like a Swiss watch. I agree; it does need another gear, but I'll wait until I wear this one out. Just like JGuz explained I looked around; before I bought mine. No chain was a must. (once you go shaft drive you become enlightened) Hard bags was the other thing I needed. Not as stout as BMW bags, but they don't leak and they're lighter. It also runs on regular not premium.... and the acceleration is addicting. My hats off to the FJR community here, thank you all.

Two gripes I have; the key won't come out of anything that's unlocked, and the windshield goes down when you cut the key off!
I don't mind the auto-retract, but as @Dan Cooper mentioned, it is easily defeated. As for the keys, the only time I would like to be able to remove the key while unlocked is for the gas cap. Side cases - too easy to break off a key if you left it. With my Givi topbox - I LIKE that the key is captive when unlocked since I leave the key in the lock EXCEPT when I want to lock it. Nobody can use the key to steal the bike since it differs from the bike keys.

Some people have cut off a key and glued it into a knob to leave in the side cases. Still can be removed if you want it locked.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/saddlebag-key-knob-mod.153540/I think a key done this way would be too short to use in the ignition...

Thank you for the solid advice. I looked for the windscreen plug the last time I removed the Tupperware. But could not locate it. Then purchased extra keys; but was fearful of them breaking off. (Pillions) The gas cap is the most annoying. Soon I'll have the winter to ponder both of these... I did however upgrade to a V-stream windscreen, and added heated grips, both game changers IMHO. I was going to spend more for a newer FJR with cruise control, but the bike I purchased was MINT, 14K, and unmolested. Soooo I have a throttle lock. Not optimum but saved me thousands. 🤑

Thank you for the solid advice. I looked for the windscreen plug the last time I removed the Tupperware. But could not locate it. Then purchased extra keys; but was fearful of them breaking off. (Pillions) The gas cap is the most annoying. Soon I'll have the winter to ponder both of these... I did however upgrade to a V-stream windscreen, and added heated grips, both game changers IMHO. I was going to spend more for a newer FJR with cruise control, but the bike I purchased was MINT, 14K, and unmolested. Soooo I have a throttle lock. Not optimum but saved me thousands. 🤑

The windshield auto-retract defeat plug is located under the right side of the dash display. It's hidden up behind the larger wiring harness and the wire is pretty short making it hard to disconnect the latch and unplug the wire.

The key can be removed from the open gas cap by compressing the spring loaded seal ring on the underside of the cap, but the key has to be reinserted to be able to close the gas cap. Not sure why removing the key from the open gas cap is desirable, but to each their own. I do not have other keys on a ring with the scooter key.

There are short key blanks that match the Yamaha lock pattern that can be cut to open the gas cap and saddlebags.
They don't stick out of the locks as far as the longer keys and are less likely to be broken off. I always leave one stuck in the saddlebag when riding, I also use that key for the gas cap. The short keys won't operate the ignition switch.
See a real locksmith, not the automated key machines.

It is possible to add an aftermarket electronic cruise control to the Gen 1 & 2 scooters for far less than the price of a Gen 3 scooter. Works just like the cruise control in your car.

dan

YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks again, I really miss having cruise control, and will look into that. The key in the gas cap thing comes from years of opening the cap and putting the key back in the ignition. Muscle memory helps OLD GUYS get through life... just ask my wife...

Thanks again, I really miss having cruise control, and will look into that. The key in the gas cap thing comes from years of opening the cap and putting the key back in the ignition. Muscle memory helps OLD GUYS get through life... just ask my wife...

Okay, just out of curiosity, what gas cap have you been taking the key out of and putting back in the ignition, and the key is not needed to close the gas cap??

BTW, we don't know each other, but I'll bet you are not older than me. :devilish:

dan

An old dog can learn new tricks, if he wants to.

And another very helpful thing I forgot to mention, is the addition of Admore Lights to my side cases. I would recommend these to every FJR rider. Easy plug and play, and very bright!

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
I had two Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours machines spanning 19 years and I really enjoyed them, but the FJR is just light years ahead of those 1980's tech Kawasakis. I'm not putting the Kawasakis down because they were a fantastic bargain and really quite good. About the only thing I miss about them is their larger fairing size when the weather turns wet and colder.

Were I you, I'd not cruise along @ 2500 RPM in top gear a whole bunch, but yeah, the FJR is quite torquey.

I thought the Kawasaki bags were more flimsy than the Yamaha examples but definitely more roomy inside. The Yamaha bags are much easier to mount/dismount to/from the bike and I really like the bag handle lock to bike function. To each their own.

Clunky gearbox? I keep mine in gear when stopped and if starting the motor after it is hot, I'll put it in 1st gear before hitting the start button. It will also shift better around 4k RPM with moderate driveline loading vs. pussyfooting it. Sometimes I'm smooth pussyfooting it but it's difficult to get consistent smooth shifts. I'd recommend not doing the 1st to 2nd gear shift under WFO acceleration conditions because the 6 speed gearboxes may not be as robust as the 5 speeders. That being said, I don't do it with my 5 speed unit. Others may have differing opinions on that.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new steed and I wish you many happy miles to come.
Clunk.

Let's start with; age is a relative term... I had a 05 BMW R 1200 ST for a long time too, and it would just snap shut without the key. (The LT doesn't need a key, unless you decide to lock it) I'm still getting used to the turn signals, too. Older BMW's had them on either side. But I have owned Jap bikes in the past, just not in a long time. The first few rides I would hit the horn thinking it was the left signal. I've gotten used to the signal location and hear BMW has followed suit. I like BMW's I just don't like paying the ransomed when I pick it up, after a day in the BMW SPA!

Just reached the 1K mile break-in mark on my 2023 FJR-ESP and wanted to write down some thoughts both positive and negative regarding this motorcycle.
Have never written a review on any motorcycle, but am really enjoying riding it so here it is! Hoping maybe some of the vast knowledge on this forum may have some input as well!

My two wheel experience includes owning various bikes started in the early 80s (CZ-250) that included many different 2 stroke and four stroke adventures through the years. A slew of Yamaha enduros (Yamaha IT 175 and 465, DT250, XT500 and XT600). A KZ1000 Z1R, an RD-350B, a Virago and my last bike of 13 years a 2006 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours. There may have been some others here and there, but these are the ones I remember well.

Have ridden quite a few different machines also including a Kawasaki ZXR at the Keith Code Superbike School at VIR just to be a better street rider. Not flexing, just to inform the reader that I have some credentials and have been around on a lot of machines. Been riding, wrenching and obsessed with anything with a motor and wheels, especially 2 wheels since I was 15 yrs old.

Was a huge King Kenny Roberts (Sr) fan and after seeing him ride a GP bike, I decided did not want to race professionally on 2 wheels!

Fast forward to today and like many of you, I agonized about which motorcycle to buy.

First what type? Wanted shaft drive and am well past the enduro riding position and off roading. Also don’t like to ride with my feet way out in front of my body, which eliminated the cruiser bikes. I also like the feel of an old school seating position as well (15yrs on a old ZG1000 Concours for example) as it is familiar. And didn’t want to ride a land yacht that weighs more than a small car.

These requirements got me to sport bike or sport tourer. Since I am probably not responsible enough (or young enough) for a hardcore sport bike, a sport tourer it was, but which one?

I wanted good performance, value for the money, comfort, reliability, ease of maintenance, good dealer network and a strong online forum.

My Concours ZG1000 was an amazing machine, the newer faster modern version was really nice, but too much of a sport bike riding position, valve adjustments every 7500 miles and a lot complaining about the hassle of removing the bodywork all the time to change oils etc.
Also a friend had purchased a new one a while ago and while he loves it, he says the maintenance is a bit of a pain, so a new Connie was out.

I also really considered purchasing a used BMW RT1200 (not overpaying paying for a new one!). After a lot of research and reading, I test rode the RT1200 and it was a really nice smooth riding bike with a lot of features and electronics. I did not like the intrusive traction control cutting the motor off abruptly under hard acceleration. First time riding a boxer twin also which was somewhat funky feeling, but I liked it actually. When you blipped the throttle at idle, the bike actually jumped to the side a little. Weird. Lots of power and torque, it is a cool motor.

The deal killer for me was the gearbox that literally felt like a German tractor with bad clunking (built into the design) as noted on the many forums. There was a lot comments about “adjust your shifting, wear different boots, turn it off at the light and then put it in gear type comments.” I just thought every time I shift this bike into 1st, 2nd or third I am going to regret this purchase.

So it was just a disappointment after all the hype of hearing people for years obsessing over Beemers and the wonderful German engineering, smoothness, ultimate riding machine blah blah blah… It wasn’t for me and it didn't feel right.

I had ridden an FJR in 2018 a few years back during a dealer demo and really liked it. It was awesome, smooth, fast, comfortable and everything I wanted in a machine. Felt it could commute, ride out to the mountains and blast out short trips on the weekends as well. Was getting ready to pull the trigger and BOOM certain events shut down the world.

Fast forward to 2023 and (finally) took the plunge on only my second new motorcycle ever since I’ve been riding! A 2023 FJR-ESP in blue. She’s such a beauty and such a fantastic ride.

Already changed the windscreen to factory touring as it wasn’t tall enough for me. Also added a Adaptiv radar detector with an LED flasher as well. Not sure about that one yet. I did figure out I will not have my cell phone mounted while I ride, as it was just way too distracting (for me). I have the RAM mounts in case I need to navigate or change my mind, but for now will just use the force to navigate or stop and look at a map.

I liked the dealer experience purchasing and doing the first maintenance there; however, one negative was the mechanic said the bars weren’t adjustable on this model, but now I disagree after seeing a few videos about it. I think they just didn’t want to mess with it or didn’t actually refer to the manual. The mechanic said just to get risers, but I don’t need much of a change, so I’ll attempt it on my own soon. The riding position is pretty good, but I want to move the bars back a little just to see if I like it even better.

The seat also makes my rear end a little numb after about 1.5 hours, but it may just be an age thing. Also I had the seat in the lower position for a while, but think it feels better in the higher position so we’ll see if it helps with the longevity as well. I am 6’1 inseam 32 and almost flat foot with the seat in the high position. IT also helped a little with the bars.

One thing I really like about this bike is; every bike I have ridden or owned previously, I always want to find another gear when already in the top gear. I am both surprised and amazed how I have only done that twice in 1K miles! It always seems like I always have the extra gear I want (need?) and damn the motor is amazing. Holy crap it is quick! It is definitely faster than I expected for the weight of this machine. It also handles really well also considering the weight.

First bike I’ve ridden extensively with adjustable suspension, cruise control, heated grips and adjustable windscreen etc. I like these options and it really adds to the rideability. Not sure I will ever get used to cruise, but it is nice in short intervals to rest the throttle hand. The interface menu is a little counter-intuitive but I’m getting the hang of it now. Had to google how to reset the trip meter which is not connected to the interface, but a separate button below the traction control button.

Almost all the electronics on the bike work really well like traction control, abs etc it is awesome. Definitely gives the rider confidence.

Negatives about the bike:

Small one: The grips are too hard for my liking, but will be looking to upgrade those. Not sure how that works with the heated grips so I’ll do a little research first. Looks like Grip Buddies might be an option.

Big dislike is the electronic fly by wire throttle. Probably some bias on my part due to so many years with carburation, slides and cable feel, but I’ve noticed it lacks true feel. I am adapting slowly, but he throttle sometimes feels delayed, vague, and sometimes choppy rolling on or off. The sport mode also just feels really jumpy at low speeds it is a little annoying and kind of dangerous unless you are really smooth rolling on at low speeds. Also the abrupt fuel cutoff when closing the throttle is really noticeable.

Another mode between touring and sport would be better as well. Have read Ivan's tune fixes most of the types of issues I am describing, but am waiting until the warranty is up to do that one.

The luggage also feels a little flimsy opening and closing, the mounting with the handles closing has a cheap flimsy feeling as well. Part of my issue is I was used to the rock solid “Samsonites” that came on the old ZG1000. Also disappointed my helmet doesn’t fit in the side case. I wear an extra large Shoei and it will not go in no matter which way I turn it. Hoping that the color matching 39L top case will fit the helmet and this on my horizon, along with the upgraded luggage rack, (kind of BS I have to upgrade that on a bike this expensive).

The other “real” issue I have so far is the gearbox seems to clunk sometimes mostly after warmup. I know I can be a little lazy with the clutch and a little rough with the shifter sometime. But it feels like on lower rpm shifts it makes a clunk sometimes and also down shifting into first can be loud as well. Was thinking some of it is me, some of it is the new drivetrain, and maybe some of it is the stock weight or type of oil. I did adjust the shift lever up a bit and that seemed to help a little, it was right in the middle and now it is at the top setting. It didn’t solve all the occasional clunking though.

It is a fantastic bike riding fast or slow. It is just as happy cruising along at 2500 rpm at 55 or an 8K screaming shift. It doesn’t really care what gear it is in and pulls like a train in most situations. It is a comfortable, quiet, smooth, extremely fast and amazing machine.

All the negatives will work out over time or I will just learn to live with them. The positives far outweigh the negatives. Mostly it feels like I am just nitpicking as it is hard to find the negatives without looking hard. Also I have only ridden 1K miles on her. I can see owning this machine for many years to come and will get to know Rosie as in "Whole Lotta Rosie" better as time marches on.

I can say, like many of you, I did my due diligence before purchasing it and it has paid off in spades.

One of the biggest positives for me was the amount of FJR junkies out there who can solve any issue with these beasts. I appreciate you all and the amount of effort you have put in to make this such a fantastic community.

Proud to be a part of it now and see you out there! Maybe another update at 10K!