Yamaha OEM Heated Grip Kit installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I recently installed the Yamaha heated grip (grip warmer) kit on my 2008 FJR A. I found the instructions quite lacking in detail, so here's some confidence boosters for anyone considering installing this on their bike. This should be the same for all Gen II (2006-2009) non-AE bikes (AEs come with the kit installed already). This is not a complete step-by-step guide, so you'll still need to read the kit's instructions thoroughly.

Other than the poor instructions, the kit is great. It came with everything that is needed, and required no wiring skills. Just route the wires to existing connectors and plug them in.

The kit came with the throttle grip already installed onto a throttle tube (it's longer than the original throttle tube), so you only have to worry about wrestling with the left grip.

The most confusing part of the instructions is the horrible drawing and explanation of how the wire for the right grip is routed through the throttle cable housing (the kit comes with a replacement house that nicely hides the wire). Here's what the loop should look like that they describe:

throttle_wire_loop.jpg

throttle_wire_loop2.jpg

Here's what the right grip looks like when completed:

right_grip_routing.jpg

Thats the best way I came up with for routing the wire. It follows down the handlebar behind the stock wiring. The screws on that little retaining clip for the wiring are very tight. They also require the removal of the handlebars to access them. I gave up and just used a flat-blade screwdriver to bend it outward enough so that I could slip the grip wire in there. A small flat-blade screwdriver is useful for pushing the grip wire completely behind the stock wiring. Theres a nice groove in the handlebar back there where the wire will fit. Once you're happy with the wire routing through there, fold up a rag and use it to protect the handlebar and the retaining bracket as you squeeze it back into place with some channel locks or pliers.

And here's the left grip:

left_grip_routing.jpg

See that nifty little plastic thing that's holding the wire to the switch housing? The instructions never mention that part at all, except for listing it in the parts list. Wire is routed down the handlebar much like the right grip.

I suggest removing the switch housing and clutch lever/reservoir to give you more room to wrestle the old grip off. I don't have an air compressor, so I cannot use the compressed air technique to remove it. I used a small flat blade screwdriver to break up the glue under the grip. Then I used the screwdriver to hold the grip away from the handlebar a bit while I poured some soapy water between the grip and the bar. Moving the screwdriver around with distribute the soapy water everywhere and make the grip slide off with ease.

Reinstall the the clutch lever and switch housing before installing the new grip so that you know how far to slide it on. Installing the new grip is pretty simple. Put some of the supplied glue on the bar and on the inside of the grip, then push and twist with all your might! Make sure you have the grip rotated with the wire coming out in the desired direction before you start, because it really doesn't want to move once you get it on all the way.Excess glue will squish out, so be ready to wipe it up.

The wires from the grips continue here:

grip_wire_routing.jpg

The right grip's wire goes under the ignition, then comes up and back down through the cable retainer, where it will meet up with the wire from the left grip. Both wires then follow an existing wiring bundle toward the left turn signal area. i zip tied the wires to the existing wiring to hold it in place.

Here's where the grip wires plug in:

grip_connectors.jpg

They're right next to the left turn signal connector. I removed the left fairing to access the connectors, although it may be possible to do it by just removing the black inner fairing piece. With the left fairing removed, it's very easy to find where the wires should be routed, so I suggest just taking the time to remove it.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter which connector is used for which grip. The instructions do not specify, and the wiring diagram in the service manual shows the grips wired in series.

The controller is easy to install. just remove the left panel where it will be installed, remove the placeholder, moiunt the controller to the panel, and youll find the connectors for the controller right behind the accessory box:

grip_control_connectors.jpg

It took me about 3 hours, but that included some experimenting with wire routing. It should be easy to complete in less than 3 hours with these tips and pictures. Now I need the snow to melt so I can try them!

Questions & suggestions welcome. I'll make changes to this original post with any additional info or clarifications as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that glue on the left grip. Had to take mine back to the shop - the grip started slipping.

Well, finally, finally, I got some time in the garage, again. Kind of lucky, in that my wife is sick, and the kids are all coming off sicknesses. Got them all to bed early. :huh:

Took about 3 hrs, with the throttle housing wire routing being the tricky part. Thanks for your detailed info and pics!!! Made it much easier to see what the real thing looks like versus the diagrams in the manual and instructions. Much appreciated!

Don't forget that glue on the left grip. Had to take mine back to the shop - the grip started slipping.
Slight hijack. I am going to replace my right tube with the G2 soon. In the instructions for that, all people mention is using soapy water to get the grip on it. Should I be using some kind of glue when I put the grip on the G2? What kind of glue should be used?

Slight hijack. I am going to replace my right tube with the G2 soon. In the instructions for that, all people mention is using soapy water to get the grip on it. Should I be using some kind of glue when I put the grip on the G2? What kind of glue should be used?
Hairspray should be the only glue you need, that and a powerful air compressor. The heated grips are much more 'stiff'. Kind of like changing a tire, just keep working it. It'll go on.

Not that it matters any (your 3rd pic), but my stock '08 AE right heater wire goes along the right most throttle cable, which has 2 tie-wraps on it, then it turns and goes directly to the handlebar wiring loom holding bracket.

I recall trying to put the rubber piece that retains to 2 throttle wires on to the hard plastic pieace was a BIG pain in the butt !! But then I have long crippled fingers.

Not that it matters any (your 3rd pic), but my stock '08 AE right heater wire goes along the right most throttle cable, which has 2 tie-wraps on it, then it turns and goes directly to the handlebar wiring loom holding bracket.
Could you post a picture? It would be nice to compare to how it's done at the factory. From your description, it sounds like the wire is more visible with the factory routing.

good write up and thanks for taking the time to educate us.

i have no idea what kind of "glue" is provided with this kit - so i may be talking out my arse - but my experience has been: cheap hair spray (i use the kind in a pump bottle) works the best for installing hand grips. reason: hairspray provides a lubricating effect for the first few minutes to help install and position the grips - but then becomes very tacky as it dries which locks the grip in place for good.

just my $.02

thanks again/ al

as stated many times hair spray is good as long as you don't ride in the rain. it is water soluble and if you ride in a long rain storm the grips will start to squirm around and slip. i have experienced this personally and its not much fun.

QUOTE (UselessPickles @ Feb 18 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...Could you post a picture? It would be nice to compare to how it's done at the factory. From your description, it sounds like the wire is more visible with the factory routing.

This one shows it:

(Click on image for larger view)

I think he was talking about a pic for the throttle side, which is what I think you mentioned.

My kit came with a tube of Yamabond. The instructions call out Yamaha 3-bond adhesive, or something like that, but states that Yamabond is a suitable substitute.

Yamabond 3, boy does that bring back memories!! That's the grey rubberish stuff!? I worked part-time for a Yama dealer back in the '70's to support my harescrambles habit. We put it into the old 'oiler' can, a can with a big squeeze trigger and a 6" applicator tip that was flaired at the end. This all metal unit was a delight to use. We used it to seal the crank halves together, cylinder heads, you name it. Yama 3 is GREAT stuff!!

I PM'd U.P. about the picture. I don't know how to post one, he will either tell me or I will email him one. I read how to post one in this forum, totally confused me.

QUOTE (FJR Flyer @ Feb 19 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he was talking about a pic for the throttle side ...

Sorry, my misunderstanding, try these:

(Click on image for larger view)

But my dealer has changed my ignition switch, so might not be quite as factory. Guess I could do with seeing a "factory" picture.

I just sent Useless a pic via email, and I see he is 'on' this subject with me right now, and he said he would post my pic. But MCA..., I see your zip-tie is loose!! ??

I just sent Useless a pic via email, and I see he is 'on' this subject with me right now, and he said he would post my pic. But MCA..., I see your zip-tie is loose!! ??
Here's RichadS's photo of the factory installed routing of the throttle grip wire:

RichardS_throttle_grip_wire.jpg

Compare to the UselessPickles routing:

right_grip_routing.jpg