Rick Mayer vs Rich's Custom Seat for FJR??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Wetterling

Reaction score
Before anyone gives me grief about how much is already in the forum on this, I've searched for two days. Granted, maybe my search skills are no good. But I've tried!

That said, I think I've narrowed my search to Rick Mayer vs Rich's Custom Seats.

I'm only going to do the solo riders seat. Trying to get any input before pulling the trigger.

Anything input is appreciated. My main interests are:

- comfort for long days (700-900 mile days)

- eliminating walking like I got off a horse, which is how I feel with the stock seat (but never did on my 1800 Wing)

- not sliding forward into the tank like I do now

- not raising my riding height (have a Cee Bailey 2+2 and am just barely low enough at full raise of window to avoid wind buffeting)

For context, I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs.

Thanks!

Both are good. I have a Rick Mayer with 60,000+ miles on it including an IBR and other multi-day rallies, but it's not perfect even after 3 adjustments.

If I had it to do over again I'd go with a Bill Mayer or Russell.

Key to any choice though is a little luck to get it right the first time, to send it back until it's right, or even better.... a ride-in to do it right the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are good. I have a Rick Mayer with 60,000+ miles on it including an IBR and other multi-day rallies, but it's not perfect even after 3 adjustments.
If I had it to do over again I'd go with a Bill Mayer or Russell.

Key to any though is a little luck to get it right the first time, to send it back until it's right, or a ride-in to do it right the first time.
My understanding is that the Russels raise you up, hence I've ruled them out, though I hear they're comfortable.

Why would you go w/ a Bill Mayer next time around? Anything in particular?

thx,

My understanding is that the Russels raise you up, hence I've ruled them out.
Not sure where you got that as fact. In fact, Russell addresses this seeming fallacy here.

Why would you go w/ a Bill Mayer next time around? Anything in particular?thx,
From all the accumulated discussion that has gone on many, many times before on the forum.

Why would you go w/ a Bill Mayer next time around? Anything in particular?thx,
From all the accumulated discussion that has gone on many, many times before on the forum.

ok, thanks. So, dumb question. As you can see, I have 16 posts to your 6000. New to the forum. How / where do I search so I actually find this prior discussion? I've gone up to the main Search choice I see at the upper right, then "uncheck" the search this forum only, and search on Bill Mayer seats, etc. But, I get an enormous list of stuff that seems to have a bunch of extraneous stuff, or the word "Bill" in the post, etc.

appreciate the help.

How / where do I search so I actually find this prior discussion? I've gone up to the main Search choice I see at the upper right, then "uncheck" the search this forum only, and search on Bill Mayer seats, etc. But, I get an enormous list of stuff that seems to have a bunch of extraneous stuff, or the word "Bill" in the post, etc.
Clicky here for suggested search method via Google.

I would try things like "bill mayer" site:fjrforum.com; mayer russell custom seat site:fjrforum.com; etc.

I have a Rich's seat. I did the ride in appt last fall and couldn't be happier with the whole experience. Rich is quite a character and certainly knows what he is doing. The seat looks great and is of very high quality (of course it should be for the price). As for comfort, I am not quite there yet. I can only get about an hour out of it before I start to "notice" my ass. I am planning on making an appt to get it adjusted. Rich was adamant that I bring it back if there are any comfort issues. It doesnt sit me up any higher and I do not slide forward anymore. I am 6'4" & 240.

So, as soon as I get some time I am going back for a re-fit.

Edit: Hell, I'll even show it off....

richsseat.jpg

HERE"S my Bill Mayer saddle. Though I haven't put any 'big' miles in her, several 200+ mile days have been much easier.

When searching more than one word, you need to format the search like this: +bill +mayer (click on Search, then choose More Search Options then, no matter how unmanly it may be, click on Advanced Usage Help to get the correct search methods).

I found the stock seat to be good for around town and quickie rides. I bought a Rick Mayer which was fitted correctly right out of the box. With the stock seat I was good for 1-2 hrs. With the Rick Mayer I was good for an initial ~4 - 5 hrs to the first break, then as the day wore on the time between when I needed to take a breaks went -- 3 hrs, 2 hrs, 1 hr...

Over the winter I took advantage of the group buy and picked up a Russell f/r seat. I haven't had a lot to time to use it yet. My front seat seems to be fitted correctly, I specifically asked for the seat to be constructed so that I didn't slide forward and they have done that. I don't know if the seat is higher but is sure is wider. I'm roughly 6' and could flat-foot both the stock and Mayer seats but can't flat foot the Russell, yet anyway. It is showing signs that as it breaks in I may be able to flat foot it later. A couple of weeks ago I made a 10 hr ride down to Sag Harbor with a few breaks and 10 hrs back the next day. I never remembered to check and see if the Russell seat was comfortable ;) Furthermore, when I would get off, it didn't feel nearly as good as it used to, I may as well have just stayed on the seat. Which is to say that the Russell is living up to its billing as the most comfortable seat I've ever owned. I hope to get some more testing done this weekend and hope my wife gets some long seat time so we can determine if her seat will be as good as mine.

I also had my rear shock rebuilt over the winter. On the way down to Sag Harbor I was trying to get the shock dialed in but was having more trouble than normal. It took a while to figure out that I was often feeling the suspension of the Russell seat and mistaking it for a too soft a shock setting. As soon as I got over that little discovery it was easy to set the shock, but this was the first time I've ever noticed a seat dynamically moving to absorb road irregularities.

At this time, based on my short experience with the Russell seat I would suggest to that you spend a few dollars more than the Mayer and get the last seat you will buy for your FJR.

I bought my '05 used. It came with a Corbin Canyon (aka brick). I bought a pair of stock seats on eBay and I was actually more comfortable with that than the Corbin. I then bought a Corbin modular from another guy on the forum. That was an improvement over the Canyon, but still rather, erm... stiff. Both Corbins set me slightly lower than the stock seat. Next I bought a used Rick Mayer dual seat in vinyl. It raised me higher than the stock seat by about 1" which I didn't find objectionable, but it also slid me into the tank. So I sent my stock seats to Russell to have them reworked. I only had the front seat dished out with the rear seat just being recovered to match. I chose full leather covers and a half moon stitch pattern. I also did send it back once and had them scoop out more foam in the rear to give me a deeper "pocket" in the back so I would not slide up on the tank. It originally raised me about the same as the Rick Mayer, but after the extra scooping, it has either broken in more or I no longer notice the height.

The Russell seats are aptly named. I can ride all day on this seat, day after day, with no butt problems whatsoever.

1st gen seat, full leather, Half moon pattern.

The leather is actually black. The shine of the leather in this photo just makes it look gray:

2339826280098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

PS - that seat on the BMW in the background is about a 45 minute seat... ;)

I went with a Bill Mayer. I had a lot of trouble with my sits bones. It took a ride in a two touch ups but now I am good for 500 plus mile days.

The key to getting the sits bones fixed for me was having them cut an X in the foam where my sits bones were on the seat. It was like night and day.

I'll add a couple pluses for Rich's seats. I've got over 120K on a leather version that still fits and looks good.

Here it is when young: Seat and backrest

I am a short guy so the seat is narrower and lower than stock. It's been used on both my '03 that was totalled at 48K miles and my '05 now at 85K+ miles. Rich got it right the first time on a ride-in appointment but I did take two trial runs on the foam before the final shape was set and the seat covered. Got there early in the morning and was there all day as the backrest installation delayed the final delivery somewhat.

dougc

I've got a ride in appointment with Rich's on the 13th of May. I've read a lot about seats on this forum, but the clincher was that I could ride the 350 miles to Rich's and get a truly custom seat. I'm sure the Russel's are terrific, but I'm just not ready to take pictures and mail the seat and hope he gets it right. For me, a ride in appointment is required.

bob

I've got a ride in appointment...the clincher was that I could ride...to Rich's and get a truly custom seat...I'm just not ready to take pictures and mail the seat and hope he gets it right. For me, a ride in appointment is required.
That certainly is the way to get the best results possible for the seat you are buying. It is a long ride from NH to get a seat fitted from one of the Mayers or Russell. I believe years of experience helps them get it close, even without the rider being there.

My wife must have spent a half hour or more talking with Heather at Russell, and that time included several different measurement sessions. I've been lucky that I've been happy with the results from both my picture & mail-in seats. It may help that I felt that there was a good chance for success. If I was pretty sure the seats would suck because I didn't ride in, my assessment may have been different, if ya know what I mean... :)

I've got a Rich's on the bike going on the third season now, I really like the fit and finish. Had tried a corbin close first, and it was O.K. for me, but momma didn't like it. As others have said a ride in at Rich's was a day of entertainment. My driver's seat started pulling loose from the cushion and had to have it reglued once, the second time I just sent it in and Rich completely redid the leather. Great service and no questions asked.

That said, I would consider a Russell. Not disapointed with rich's but really like the looks of the russel. Even though they are expensive, they are all good and worth the cost.