Time to say goodbye

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
It's been 10  years since I joined this forum and picked up my new (to me) 05 w/ABS. It's been a love/hate relationship ever since. Though I've not posted much the past couple years, I certainly enjoyed contributing around here as much as I could. Feeling very thankful for all the helpful advice that guided me through several farkling projects. I've certainly loved this forum, and have commented many times how much I loved my old FJR. She's got 52k on the clock now and still runs great. Haven't had any problems with it, and as I've often said, I'd take it to California tomorrow: great bike. 

However, there's just nothing else I can do to it to fix the two big problems I have: the heat it generates, and the riding position.

The heat: I know, I know, there's a heat fix for the gen 1's. I never bothered to do it. But it's actually nice in the winter. However, as we all know, the gen 1's can really sling some heat. Because I live in Fla, I don't ride much in the summer. From June till almost November, it's miserable outside and I prefer my air conditioned cage. But then again, how can I complain about cruising around town in an SRT Challenger? Anyway, the heat is a problem.

The riding position:  I already have bar risers on it and an aftermarket seat. But though I love the power, the handling, the ease of maintenance and the reliability,  it's no use kidding myself, the older I get, the more sore I get after extended stints in the saddle. Leaning forward just doesn't work for me any more. I can do a half hour in the saddle, but that's about it. It's no fun to deal with a sore neck and a sore back all the time. 

i didn't mention wind buffeting, but after trying several different windshields, I've concluded that there's only so much I can do.

So I decided it was time for a change, or at least time to start looking. I decided that if I intend to keep riding, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet as they say, and try something that is more comfortable for me.  A few days ago, I decided to stop in a Honda dealer and take a ride on a new Gold wing. I chose a new 2018 touring model with the DCT 7 spd auto. Apparently Honda still has several new 2018's around, and they're deeply discounted. Needless to say, it's not an FJR. It's not as fast, won't devour the twisties as efficiently, and actually doesn't have the storage my FJR has. My Givi top box is cavernous compared to the wing. I will miss being able to remove my saddle bags and take them into the hotel with me: a wonderful feature of that bike. I will miss the ease of maintenance of the FJR and the cheap cost of ownership. However, I won't miss the power because I rarely ever use all the power that the FJR has. I drive like gramps most of the time. I won't miss the riding position, the buffeting, or the heat either: those have become deal breakers for me.

Back to the Honda dealer. I took a good close look at the Honda. I took it for a ride. The suspension is out of this world. Honda's "plush" has leap-frogged every other bike ever made (that I know of) with that new double wishbone front suspension. The DCT trannie is amazing. Really like the 4 speaker stereo, the apple car play and the NAV system. There was no cruise on my Gen 1, so I'm really enjoying that. Heated seat(s), and grips, and finally, Honda took a page from the FJR playbook and added an electic(ly) adjustable windshield. Then for this old man, something that has turned out to be a real blessing: this new wing has a walking speed feature. It will power along at about 1 mph in forward or reverse. How I would have loved that on my FJR. 

Long story short, I fell in love. The riding position is perfect for me so I bought the Honda yesterday. Though it can't be what my FJR was, it checks off all the boxes I complained about above and then some. For this old man, it's going to make riding long distances fun again. Granted, I wish it was cheaper, wish it was lighter, I guess I can wish for a lot of things. But though no one bike is perfect in every way, this one was the right choice for me.

I'll still drop in here from time to time. But that said, I guess I have to decide which Gold wing forum to join. There are a bunch of them.

Any advice?

Ha now that's funny. Here I am asking the guys on an FJR forum which Gold wing forum to join. But hey, I've gotten some great advice on these pages, so maybe I'll get lucky once again.

And last, I'm taking off for the summer. Trailering the wing up north to hang out for a few months and do some remodeling work in Gary, Indiana. When I get back, I'll be putting old blue up for sale along with several of my farkles if the buyer doesn't want them. Gonna make a great bike for somebody. 

The farkles? Stain tune pipes, custom stainless bar risers, Givi top box and rack, Clearwater Krista lights, Sergeant seat and a reverse flip (barn door) windshield.

Gary

Well Gary, I think that if I was flush I am about ready that I might test ride that Gold Wing myself. Would love for you to come back now and then and give some real feedback after you get a few thousand miles on her. Hope you find a forum almost as good as this one. Not sure there is anything like this one anywhere. LOL 

Well Gary, I think that if I was flush I am about ready that I might test ride that Gold Wing myself. Would love for you to come back now and then and give some real feedback after you get a few thousand miles on her. Hope you find a forum almost as good as this one. Not sure there is anything like this one anywhere. LOL 
+1

The GL1800 forum has been helpful to me with my 2008.  Nice choice on the Wing, I have yet to ride a DCT but I hear it's the bees knees.Honda is now putting the DCT in their Quads so it must be part of the future.

Hi Gary - welcome to the world of the Hondapotomus! I’ve heard so many good things about the new Wing (you mentioned several of them) and I’m sure you’re gonna love it.

Seven years ago, when I bought Lucille (Miss Lucy Liu) from Beemerdons, I was going in the opposite direction - I wanted something lighter, quicker, more nimble than my Wingabago. She really did all those things - and the Wing began spending a lot of time in the garage.

Then came RoXXane and both the other bikes became garage queens.

Fast forward a couple years. Son #2 came down for a couple days (from PNW) and he rode Lucille as we did a pie run to Julian in January. He fell in love and my bride didn’t mind when I suggested giving Lucille to him. In June of 2018 I did a ride & fly - took Lucille up to Seattlish and enjoyed every wonderful mile.

Last July I hopped on the Wing and rode up to the PNW, spent time with each of the three kids, rode with Lucille, and rode back home. Twice the miles of the previous year, just as fun!

About a week ago Barb was talking to #2 son who was explaining his advancing neck & back problems and his thoughts of returning Lucille to me. Nothing certain, but I guarantee that I’d love to have her back in the stable.

So... enjoy the new Wing! And if your circumstances allow, hang on to the FJR for those few times when you have an itch that needs scratching.

Or not!

BTW, there is no message board quite like this one. Don’t be a stranger here. We’d love to here about your adventures on the new steed.

Well that is interesting too me. 

I have a 05 FJR since 2013 and my gf says I've been giving out about the comfort issues from not long after I bought it.

I can ride the bike for maybe 30mins before getting pain in my right shoulder, if I let go of the throttle and have my arm by my side for a couple of secs the pain goes. I have had to do that in some form or another every time I ride the bike. If it twisty roads it's more bearable but long straights require constant adjustment.  

The reason I have kept it in light of this is I love this bike, from it's looks, to it's ease of maintenance and power and I have put alot of money into it over the years with new screen, saddle, suspension upgrades, lights etc. 

I have tried both sw motech and heli risers while they gave some relief the problem persists. 

The GF says sell it and cut your losses but I feel i'm so close to finding a solution in either fitting  of LSL Superbike kit or finding a machinist who can turn something up in the form of a set of risers I read someone got made for them (Lenker adaptors) I think is what they are called but are no longer available.

I believe the issue stems from the angle of my wrist while I'm sitting on the bike and the possibility of being able to adjust the angle of the bars outwards would put my shoulder arm and wrist in a better more natural position. 

Congrats on the new wheels and if anyone wants to add their two cents, please feel free.

Ride safe out there

Getting ready to trailer the Wing up north tonight. Took it out for another fifty miles yesterday. I still can't get over that front suspension. I've ridden these same roads for 19 years, 10 of them on my FJR. But I don't have to put thousands of miles on the wing to know this one thing: All those annoying little bumps that I felt through the handlebars... are just gone. Stutter bumps, small pot holes, railroad tracks... you name it: GONE. Words fail me here: I never dreamed a motorcycle could be this smooth. But beyond this, the new Honda leans more toward a sport touring bike than it's predecessor. They've done this on purpose. Guess it lost about 90 pounds in the process, but what it gained was composure in the turns. The steering doesn't have that "disconnected" feel that an older Wing I rode... had. My buddy had a BMW K1200LT, the inline four touring bike that was designed with the bags and top case. Hated the disconnected feel of his front end. This new wing feels agile and planted in the corners, very responsive. I didn't expect that. When cornering, grabbing the brakes doesn't initiate any nose dive, that one item is a huge plus. Exhaust is louder, and I'm liking the 6 cylinder sound. On the negative, it doesn't have the top end rush that my FJR had, nor will it blast through the twisties at the same speeds, but I'm OK with that. I'm told it has much better acceleration than previous wings, so that helps. But I rarely ever rode my FJR that way. I had a hard time even keeping up with most other FJR riders when I rode with several at the EOM rallies over the years: I guess I'm not a canyon carver and never will be. Not my thing and therefore not my skill-set.

Appreciate your responses here, with the exception of my old pal Skooter. His mama taught him better, but I'll bet when he was a kid, every time he picked up a kitty, he rubbed the fur the wrong way just to get a rise out of the cat. But this cat gets a laugh out of it. Can't think of a good insult right now, but that's OK Skooter, the forum is well able to handle that department.

I know there are a bunch of us that try to change the comfort level of the FJR by getting a new seat or bar risers. Just a little side note, years ago, a friend bought an FJR and I encouraged him to join this forum. The feedback he got here caused him to get some bar risers (if I recall) and a new seat. Though he said it helped, he still complained about the riding position and eventually had to sell the FJR to get something more comfortable for him. Point being, I'm not the only one that struggled with the ergonomics of the FJR. It's like half way between the laid out position of a crotch rocket and the upright position of bikes like the wing. It 's perfect for some, but unfortunately not for me. Everything goes up for sale later this summer.

A little advice: if you intend to remain a loyal FJR man, NEVER, EVER TEST RIDE THE NEW GOLDWING DCT TOUR.

Time to start packing.

Gary

This is an interesting thread.  I enjoy my FJR but I have found that the ergonomics aren't the greatest for me and my age (76) is an issue no doubt.  I get a pain between my shoulder blades and an ache in my arms.  I have a Russell Sport saddle and one inch handle bar risers all of which have made things better but not perfect.  I don't think there's much more I can do to correct these issues so I'll just live with it.  I can't go the Gold Wing route because I could just never accept owning any motorcycle that is so big and heavy that it needs a powered reverse.  

As far as ergonomics are concerned the flat twin BMWs have always been good choices for me and I'll never part with my pristine '93 R1100RSL.  That said I still like the feel of the smooth and powerful FJR with its great looks and proven reliability and it isn't a bad thing to just stop now and then and take a break when riding long distance.  Oh, and from what I've seen I would take the GW over that overweight pig from BMW that being the K1600 and the same goes for the K1200 come to think of it.

Congrats on your new bike.  Awesome.  Far be it from me to say you could fix your FJR to work for you.  You found a bike that works for you and that is all that matters.

Glad to be alive today. Took a buddy for a ride on the wing while traveling (about 900 miles from home). We were having a great time and I pulled to a stop on a side street and waiting for a car to pass so I could make a left turn. All of a sudden I heard it. It was the unmistakable screeching of car tires as a silver Dodge Charger came up behind me doing perhaps 30 miles per hour. Later on we looked at the tire marks: There were two 30 foot stripes on the road. By the time I figured out THAT the noise I was hearing was actually a car trying to stop BEHIND me, I hit the throttle on the Honda. I launched it forward just as the car came to a stop where I had been. It all happened in a split second. The car just sat there for maybe 10 seconds as the driver sat and perhaps tried to get over what she's just done, By buddy turned around in time to see that it was indeed a lady.

I pulled over on the side of the road and waited for her to pass on by. But darked out windows were never rolled down and no words were exchanged as she went her way. It took a minute or two for the adrenaline to dissipate, so I just sat there. That was when 1 of 3 fellas, who'd been standing and talking in their driveway maybe 50 feet away, motioned to us. He held up his two hands in front of his face, about an inch apart, indicating how close we'd come to a trip to the hospital. I'm feeling extremely thankful that I am not writing this from a hospital bed this morning.

I'm also thinking that if the new wing had the flashing LED brake light that I have on my FJR, she might have seen me sooner. Note to self: get SOMETHING done about this ASAP. I'm certainly thanking the Lord for tapping that lady on the shoulder at just the right moment. I walked away from this one, and I am one very fortunate rider. 

I began riding in 1966. This is not my first close call, but this is the first time anything like this has happened. Typically, it's somebody pulling out in front of me, which I have always avoided by driving defensively. This was different. Fine, I could have been watching my rearview mirror, which I often do, but well... not this time. 

We all know the risks. I'm reminded that no matter how careful ya drive, this can happen to any one of us. No wonder we often say to each other, "Ride safe..." Feeling extra happy today to look in the mirror and know I'm fine and all is well. I won't bother to thank my lucky stars. This was not a case of being lucky. I"d rather be blessed than lucky any day: so glad that somebody was looking out for me. 

Glad to be alive today. Took a buddy for a ride on the wing while traveling (about 900 miles from home). We were having a great time and I pulled to a stop on a side street and waiting for a car to pass so I could make a left turn. All of a sudden I heard it. It was the unmistakable screeching of car tires as a silver Dodge Charger came up behind me doing perhaps 30 miles per hour. Later on we looked at the tire marks: There were two 30 foot stripes on the road. By the time I figured out THAT the noise I was hearing was actually a car trying to stop BEHIND me, I hit the throttle on the Honda. I launched it forward just as the car came to a stop where I had been. It all happened in a split second. The car just sat there for maybe 10 seconds as the driver sat and perhaps tried to get over what she's just done, By buddy turned around in time to see that it was indeed a lady.

I pulled over on the side of the road and waited for her to pass on by. But darked out windows were never rolled down and no words were exchanged as she went her way. It took a minute or two for the adrenaline to dissipate, so I just sat there. That was when 1 of 3 fellas, who'd been standing and talking in their driveway maybe 50 feet away, motioned to us. He held up his two hands in front of his face, about an inch apart, indicating how close we'd come to a trip to the hospital. I'm feeling extremely thankful that I am not writing this from a hospital bed this morning.

I'm also thinking that if the new wing had the flashing LED brake light that I have on my FJR, she might have seen me sooner. Note to self: get SOMETHING done about this ASAP. I'm certainly thanking the Lord for tapping that lady on the shoulder at just the right moment. I walked away from this one, and I am one very fortunate rider. 

I began riding in 1966. This is not my first close call, but this is the first time anything like this has happened. Typically, it's somebody pulling out in front of me, which I have always avoided by driving defensively. This was different. Fine, I could have been watching my rearview mirror, which I often do, but well... not this time. 

We all know the risks. I'm reminded that no matter how careful ya drive, this can happen to any one of us. No wonder we often say to each other, "Ride safe..." Feeling extra happy today to look in the mirror and know I'm fine and all is well. I won't bother to thank my lucky stars. This was not a case of being lucky. I"d rather be blessed than lucky any day: so glad that somebody was looking out for me. 
always remain alert especially at stops.  You never know, and because you were paying attention, you are here to tell the story yourself.

Enjoy the new wing, I picked up a 2006 and have a whole bunch of farkling to do it.  The GL1800 Riders forum is really good source of info and has something like 49K members.

Good reminder Gary.  I'm happy to hear you weren't hit.  Thanks for sharing your close call.  Things seem to happen when you least expect them.

Whew! Glad you reacted and escaped.

(Brings back the smell of burning rubber from a similar fortuitous event that we had a few years back.)

I have installed various versions of P3 brake lights (Skene Lights) on all three of my bikes. I think you had something similar on your FJR - an extra layer of protection ASAP, eh?

”Ride Safe”