Considering returning to FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enn

Reaction score
Hi guys. Its been some 5 years since I swapped from 2008 FJR AS to Super Tenere. ST has been no doubt much more comfortable, but I have found out that I do not do any off -road at all and there are not many gravel roads left in our country to exploit its versality. As for riding emotions, then ST is no match to FJR, the parallel twin is just soooo boooooring. So I am considering swapping back to inline 4 world and FJR is on the top of the list.
However, one of the reasons I once left, was that I did have problems of getting truly comfortabe ride on longer trips. My palms/wrists became numb, shoulders and knees ached and butt hurt after few hours of riding. I had done all the normal modes like aftermarket seat, Helibars, gripbuddies, vibronators, etc, but in the end it still did hurt. One of the benefits of the new model of FJR is that it has the cruise control, which will help to reduce the grip on handlebars and rest my throttle hand during longer rides. But also I am thinking that perhaps I need to reduce the handlebar angle to get my wrists a more natural position.
So my question is if the III gen FJR handlebar angle can be turned forward in the stock tripleclamp or I need to install Helibars on them to do that?

@Enn - a decade ago I've installed a plate on my 2013 that lifted the handlebars and pulled them back by an inch or so, and it changed my riding position to much more upright, which is what I was looking for. I believe the plate came from Germany, and if you need more detail I'll dig them out for you, but I'm sure there is plenty of info in this and other FJR forums on this subject. What I really wanted to say is that you need to consider how much efforts are you willing to put into the bike mods to get ergonomics to where you want them to be, vs. going with some other bike, more in line with your long distance comfort needs. Don't get me wrong, I've had my FJR for many years and I love it to death. It looks fantastic, it's a freaking rocket, it's built to perfection, but it doesn't mean it the right solution for everyone, and every mod had unintended consequences. As soon as I lifted the bars I realized that the seat doesn't work anymore, because my weight was shifted into a single point vs. being spread out along the thighs, which is what sportier riding position provided. So unless you got a super resilient butt, plan on getting a seat replacement. I know very few people who are happy with FJR factory seat (and I deeply admire those who do). But even after lifting and pulling back the bars, their position is not entire flawless. and I get ocasional wrist pain. If you have any predesposition for wrist pain, you may also find that the bar angles are not perfect. Perhaps the mod recommended by @raesewell will work, I'm not sure what that is, but I assume it would requires significant more work, because the lenght of all the cables and hoses is the major limiting factor, and it probably would take lots of efforts to swap them all to provide a better range of adjustments. Perhaps give consideration to RT1250RT, if that's within your budget and service needs.

Many thanks for the answers.
As I wrote, I did have gen2 once for 9 years and there I had installed the Helibars triple clamp and also Topsellerie comfort gel seat. However, though it gave some relief, it did not completely cure the problems, at least not to the comforty level that I enjoy on Super Tenere.
So I have started to think that perhaps instead of moving the handlebars up and back I should have started from changing the angle of the bars to less turned toward me. Because my major gripe was the wrist pain and the right hand "throttle muscle" ending up at the back of the right shoulder.
And as for seating I had most of the stress on butt bones, so reducing the bar angle in stock tripleclamp means being leaned more forward and would reduce the pressure from butt to thighs.
I think if I buy a FJR again then I will start the mods from changing the bar angle and go from there...

The current Helibar Bridge will get you much more upright than the old Helibar triple clamp. In my opinion, it is superior to the MV Motorad risers and I currently have both installed on different FJRs. A truly custom seat will be much better than the Topsellerie. Everybody is built different, but I have found the FJR to be an extremely comfortable platform for me once modified to the way I like it. It also sounds like you need to train yourself on proper riding body posture. Google "master yoda riding position".

Okay I may be Major Obvious (I got a field upgrade) here, but you are aware that the OEM handlebars have 3 different adjustment positions? One of them may help without any expense before going with the expensive aftermarket solutions.

dan

Okay I may be Major Obvious (I got a field upgrade) here, but you are aware that the OEM handlebars have 3 different adjustment positions? One of them may help without any expense before going with the expensive aftermarket solutions.

dan
That was eaxctly my question in my first post if the gen 3 OEM handlebar have these positions. Many thanks for your afirmative reply.

That was eaxctly my question in my first post if the gen 3 OEM handlebar have these positions. Many thanks for your afirmative reply.

The adjustable handlebars on Gen 3+ FJRs are the same as the Gen II.

Enn, A 60 year old friend of mine recently bought a used 2014 FJR.

After just the 50 mile ride home from the Dealer he said " That CC is a game changer!"

Maybe try any 2013 + FJR for a day or so and see if it doesn't fix your issues.

Enn, After buying and loving my new 2006 FJR, I sold it just 2 years later to buy yet another bike on my bucket list. I was 42 y/o and regretted selling her. So much so that I began looking for another FJR and I bought a beautiful Satin blue 2018 ES with just 3k miles. It didn't take me long to realize that I'm not 42 anymore. I'm 59 now and my knees and wrist can't take the riding position inherent to the FJR. Don't get me wrong, out of the 50+ bikes I have owned, the FJR is still at the top of the list for my favorite bike. I purchased a really nice 2016 BMW R1250GS (my 2nd GS) this past November and I have put on 3k pain free miles. The upright riding position is the key to comfort, for me anyway. I think you had the right type of bike, but you had the wrong engine. Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you find what's comfortable for you!

Enn, After buying and loving my new 2006 FJR, I sold it just 2 years later to buy yet another bike on my bucket list. I was 42 y/o and regretted selling her. So much so that I began looking for another FJR and I bought a beautiful Satin blue 2018 ES with just 3k miles. It didn't take me long to realize that I'm not 42 anymore. I'm 59 now and my knees and wrist can't take the riding position inherent to the FJR. Don't get me wrong, out of the 50+ bikes I have owned, the FJR is still at the top of the list for my favorite bike. I purchased a really nice 2016 BMW R1250GS (my 2nd GS) this past November and I have put on 3k pain free miles. The upright riding position is the key to comfort, for me anyway. I think you had the right type of bike, but you had the wrong engine. Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you find what's comfortable for you!
You may be spot on on this. I am also 59 now. My current Super Tenere is ergonomically perfect for me (I have installed Helibars and custom seat), but the engine is not what I enjoy. And if you are not doing offroad, then the engine sound/behavior is the biggest part of fun, which I am currently missing.
I am still addicted to FJR sound and dynamics and thus can't get it out of my head. However, it is possible I will never find a perfect position considering hips and knees on it. I have also thought about Tracer 9, Versys 1000 and GSXS1000GX, but they are all chain driven ... In fact I did a couple of hours test drive on Versys 1000 last fall and it felt great. I will also do a test on Tracer 9GT+ in April when it gets warmer here and will try to make up my mind in May as I am going for a 3 w long trip to Croatia and Bosnia Herzegovinia in the begining of summer.

I wouldn't let a chain be a major deterrent to buying a bike. My KTM went 24k miles on the first chain and the replacement is at 20k miles with no sign of wear yet. Changing a chain is a pretty easy job and chain drive has the advantages of lower unsprung weight and easy gearing changes. Yes, you have to lubricate them but you can install a chainoiler or just spritz the chain with some lube each evening at the end of the ride.

I actually have more confidence in my KTM's chain than my BMW's final drive and if it does fail, any bike dealer can swap in a new chain and sprockets in a couple of hours (chains are about the only part on a bike where everyone uses the same parts). FD parts can take weeks to obtain.

You may be spot on on this. I am also 59 now. My current Super Tenere is ergonomically perfect for me (I have installed Helibars and custom seat), but the engine is not what I enjoy. And if you are not doing offroad, then the engine sound/behavior is the biggest part of fun, which I am currently missing.
I am still addicted to FJR sound and dynamics and thus can't get it out of my head. However, it is possible I will never find a perfect position considering hips and knees on it. I have also thought about Tracer 9, Versys 1000 and GSXS1000GX, but they are all chain driven ... In fact I did a couple of hours test drive on Versys 1000 last fall and it felt great. I will also do a test on Tracer 9GT+ in April when it gets warmer here and will try to make up my mind in May as I am going for a 3 w long trip to Croatia and Bosnia Herzegovinia in the begining of summer.
let me know how the testing with the tracer was. almost 60 too, not a fan of chains, but my wife finds that it is time to buy a new one ( she saw my face and quickly added that i can keep the fjr) i will ask a test ride with the tracer later this year, but doubt if i can test it for half a day

I wouldn't let a chain be a major deterrent to buying a bike. My KTM went 24k miles on the first chain and the replacement is at 20k miles with no sign of wear yet. Changing a chain is a pretty easy job and chain drive has the advantages of lower unsprung weight and easy gearing changes. Yes, you have to lubricate them but you can install a chainoiler or just spritz the chain with some lube each evening at the end of the ride.

I actually have more confidence in my KTM's chain than my BMW's final drive and if it does fail, any bike dealer can swap in a new chain and sprockets in a couple of hours (chains are about the only part on a bike where everyone uses the same parts). FD parts can take weeks to obtain.
every evening ?:oops:

Hi guys. Its been some 5 years since I swapped from 2008 FJR AS to Super Tenere. ST has been no doubt much more comfortable, but I have found out that I do not do any off -road at all and there are not many gravel roads left in our country to exploit its versality. As for riding emotions, then ST is no match to FJR, the parallel twin is just soooo boooooring. So I am considering swapping back to inline 4 world and FJR is on the top of the list.
However, one of the reasons I once left, was that I did have problems of getting truly comfortabe ride on longer trips. My palms/wrists became numb, shoulders and knees ached and butt hurt after few hours of riding. I had done all the normal modes like aftermarket seat, Helibars, gripbuddies, vibronators, etc, but in the end it still did hurt. One of the benefits of the new model of FJR is that it has the cruise control, which will help to reduce the grip on handlebars and rest my throttle hand during longer rides. But also I am thinking that perhaps I need to reduce the handlebar angle to get my wrists a more natural position.
So my question is if the III gen FJR handlebar angle can be turned forward in the stock tripleclamp or I need to install Helibars on them to do that?
The stock bike has 3 position settings for the handlebars, but the angle doesn’t change.
Also - I agree with the other post that said - moving the bars forward or back will change how the seat feels/supports significantly.

The angle does change, albeit very little. Now, with the Heli bridge, the angle change is quite significant.

Probably posted this elsewhere but I wanted a lighter sport touring bike couple of years ago and traded my 2017 FJR for the first version of the 900GT. Three cylinders, chain drive, manually adjusted shield, definitely lighter but with some other deficiencies I discovered after some longer rides than just home from the dealer. Found the seat too narrow and uncomfortable (sure, it could be replaced), very little coverage from wind with such a little wind screen (yes, I did get a slightly larger touring shield). Bottom line was, it just didn't ride like a 1300 V4. I know, some of you are saying to yourselves, "of course it didn't!" Also had a small LCD 'dash' with the requisite inaccurate gas gauge from Yamaha!

To make a short story even longer, I posted it on Cycle Trader and had a wild lands fire fighter from CO come down to buy it (he loves it!) and I found a 2019 in STL. Flew up, they picked me up at the airport and I rode it home to the Dallas area much more happy with all the upgrades of the FJR. Yeah, it is still a damn heavy bike to wheel around the garage and at 67, not quite as much upper body strength these days! But, still a great bike. I rode Honda ST1100/1300s for many years and finally gave up as more and more of my riding friends switched to BMW, Yamaha even Ducati for updated technology. Honda decided touring and sport were more important to them I suppose. Pictured was the previous FJR. We still take one along with us on RV trips too. Love that Kendon trailer.

As they say, YMMV. If you do locate a lighter weight bike just like the FJR, be sure and let me know!!

Keith Quigley

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Probably posted this elsewhere but I wanted a lighter sport touring bike couple of years ago and traded my 2017 FJR for the first version of the 900GT. Three cylinders, chain drive, manually adjusted shield, definitely lighter but with some other deficiencies I discovered after some longer rides than just home from the dealer. Found the seat too narrow and uncomfortable (sure, it could be replaced), very little coverage from wind with such a little wind screen (yes, I did get a slightly larger touring shield). Bottom line was, it just didn't ride like a 1300 V4. I know, some of you are saying to yourselves, "of course it didn't!" Also had a small LCD 'dash' with the requisite inaccurate gas gauge from Yamaha!

To make a short story even longer, I posted it on Cycle Trader and had a wild lands fire fighter from CO come down to buy it (he loves it!) and I found a 2019 in STL. Flew up, they picked me up at the airport and I rode it home to the Dallas area much more happy with all the upgrades of the FJR. Yeah, it is still a damn heavy bike to wheel around the garage and at 67, not quite as much upper body strength these days! But, still a great bike. I rode Honda ST1100/1300s for many years and finally gave up as more and more of my riding friends switched to BMW, Yamaha even Ducati for updated technology. Honda decided touring and sport were more important to them I suppose. Pictured was the previous FJR. We still take one along with us on RV trips too. Love that Kendon trailer.

As they say, YMMV. If you do locate a lighter weight bike just like the FJR, be sure and let me know!!

Keith Quigley
got it, will keep my FJT till 67 year, keep me updated