Considering returning to FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably posted this elsewhere but I wanted a lighter sport touring bike couple of years ago and traded ...

As they say, YMMV. If you do locate a lighter weight bike just like the FJR, be sure and let me know!!

Keith Quigley
That is becoming a very popular question. Over the years, I've pretty much covered the board of Sport Touring bikes. Gold Wings, BMW (K&R), ST1300 and most recently a FJR. Loved them all. I have also, simultaneously, always had sport bikes. Like most, I'm an older guy but still love carving through canyons and the speed, braking and handling of the dedicated sport bikes.
This past year I took a ride from coastal California (home) to Cape Cod. Started out on my ST1300 PA, puked an alternator in Arkansas / finished the ride with the FJR I bought in Arkansas.
_ My final straw on the big bikes was having mistakenly ridden into a parking space (at night) that turned out to be both downhill and too narrow to make K-turns. I had to wait for and solicit two full size guys to pull me out. Unacceptable.
So no, I haven't found a lightweight just like a FJR. But I am just starting to convert a Honda CB1000R "Street Fighter" into a touring bike. At about 427 pounds full of gasoline and with an engine mechanically tuned for mid-range toque, in the 147hp neighborhood ... I can deal with getting the ergonomics and weatherproofing up to speed.

That is becoming a very popular question. Over the years, I've pretty much covered the board of Sport Touring bikes. Gold Wings, BMW (K&R), ST1300 and most recently a FJR. Loved them all. I have also, simultaneously, always had sport bikes. Like most, I'm an older guy but still love carving through canyons and the speed, braking and handling of the dedicated sport bikes.
This past year I took a ride from coastal California (home) to Cape Cod. Started out on my ST1300 PA, puked an alternator in Arkansas / finished the ride with the FJR I bought in Arkansas.
_ My final straw on the big bikes was having mistakenly ridden into a parking space (at night) that turned out to be both downhill and too narrow to make K-turns. I had to wait for and solicit two full size guys to pull me out. Unacceptable.
So no, I haven't found a lightweight just like a FJR. But I am just starting to convert a Honda CB1000R "Street Fighter" into a touring bike. At about 427 pounds full of gasoline and with an engine mechanically tuned for mid-range toque, in the 147hp neighborhood ... I can deal with getting the ergonomics and weatherproofing up to speed.
I’ve tried to covert several motorcycles to light touring bikes, over the past 20+ years. The wind protection proved to be the most difficult part. So… ended up buying and FJR.