Rolling on the throttle not as responsive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myboyhay

Reaction score
I've had my 03' now since Thanksgiving and I have put ~2500miles on it so far. I'm really beginning to feel relaxed and comfortable with it. My concern is that the throttle roll on response seems to have diminished somewhat. I even feel a vibration in the seat when trying to accelerate hard running from 4000rpm and up. When I first started riding it I felt like I was warping to light speed when i goosed the throttle and now, not so much. At first I thought maybe I've just gotten use to the acceleration, but it's the vibration in the seat that has me second guessing. Like I said the bike is an '03 and it has ~20k miles on it. Anyone have any thoughts?

-cheers

Maybe the plugs are loaded up from the long winter of starts and shut-offs. Or some moisture in the fuel system. Probably just needs to clear it throat. Take it out and thrash it a little and see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My acid test is whether the bike will do roll-on wheelies (just a couple of inches of loft from wide-open throttle w/o any clutch or throttle tricks) in first and second. If not, it's time for plugs, an air filter look, and a TBS.

After 7 years and 20K miles, it's tune up time!

New plugs, Air Filter, TBS, Oil & Filter change should do the trick.

Agreed , tune it up time. The TBS sync in my case smoothed out the vibration and it was not very far off the specs. During roll on . I start at the intake side namely the filter and work my way back

I realize I'm resurrecting and old thread here, but heck, why not? I recently did a TBS and also synced the butterflied also. Steady state RPM is much smoother, but it seems that I have more vibration under hard acceleration. Not sure if this is normal or not. I did the TBS after winter storage so I didn't really have a "before" feeling for it since I hadn't ridden it much since last fall. I suppose I could change the plugs as that seems to be an issue for some, but I've only got 11K miles on the bike. Any thoughts?