FJR1300AE Shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd.corley

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting used to the YCS electronic clutch system on my bike. The manual says to close the throttle before each shift up but that is anything but smooth. If I shift up at around 2000rpm w/o closing the clutch, it is smoother. But, the manual discourages doing such a thing. I feel that once I finally get a handle on it, it will be a great bike. How are you other FJR1300AE owners managing the electronic clutch and throttle control?

Thanks.

I'm having trouble getting used to the YCS electronic clutch system on my bike. The manual says to close the throttle before each shift up but that is anything but smooth. If I shift up at around 2000rpm w/o closing the clutch, it is smoother. But, the manual discourages doing such a thing. I feel that once I finally get a handle on it, it will be a great bike. How are you other FJR1300AE owners managing the electronic clutch and throttle control?
Thanks.
Completely closing the Throttle between each shift is unrealistic and you're right, it's not going to be very smooth. It's more of a momentarily stopping the acceleration for a split second.

(Stop Twisting the Throttle) If you are accelerating hard while pulling the trigger shifter you will feel the over reving of the RPM between gears. It's that happy place in between.

Once you get in the zone, you'll know you're there! Enjoy!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
Completely closing the Throttle between each shift is unrealistic and you're right, it's not going to be very smooth. It's more of a momentarily stopping the acceleration for a split second.

(Stop Twisting the Throttle) If you are accelerating hard while pulling the trigger shifter you will feel the over reving of the RPM between gears. It's that happy place in between.

Once you get in the zone, you'll know you're there! Enjoy!! :yahoo:
Is the over-revving of the RPMs between gears OK for the bike?

If you are no longer accelerating, just flick the shifter to go up a gear. If your ears are attuned to your bike the shift should be smooth. Similar to shifting a clutch bike or car without using the clutch by matching engine RPM to transmission RPM. If you are accelerating, just close the throttle about 1/4 inch or less and at the same time upshift. With a little practice and learning if it is 1/8 or 3/16 or 1/4 inch that you let off, your shifts will be smooth and with no over-revving.

Completely closing the throttle before shifting is guaranteed to produce a jerky shift and get you attention that you will not like from fellow riders and the chicks watching.

Is the over-revving of the RPMs between gears OK for the bike?
It won't hurt the bike. Remember, the shifting takes .3 seconds. All you'll feel is that split second of slightly increased RPM. It's not like you're gonna Red Line or anthing like that. Don't worry.

This thing is Bullet Proof! :rolleyes:

You could let your neighbors cat shit in the crankcase...

I dunno.. I just felt like saying that. :fuck:

:jester:

I don't have an AE model but (you are talking about upshifting, right?) I would imagine it's a short release of throttle much like speed shifting (clutchless shifting). Just an off and back on at the same time you press the shift button....

again.. I have no personal experience with it, but I imagine the principle is the same.

I have had my 07 AE for about three weeks now and agree. DO NOT close the throttle all the way. I found what works best (for me) is to use the foot lever to upshift. My right hand seems to know what to do in that scenario. Downshift with either. Once you are "in the zone" and do not think about it, smoothness will come. That said, a G2 Ergonomics tube is on the way. I'll post an update next week once I install it.

I have had my 07 AE for about three weeks now and agree. DO NOT close the throttle all the way. I found what works best (for me) is to use the foot lever to upshift. My right hand seems to know what to do in that scenario. Downshift with either. Once you are "in the zone" and do not think about it, smoothness will come. That said, a G2 Ergonomics tube is on the way. I'll post an update next week once I install it.
Please do, I'm looking to buy the G2 also, but was concerned about installing it with the heated grips.

I don't have an AE model but (you are talking about upshifting, right?) I would imagine it's a short release of throttle much like speed shifting (clutchless shifting). Just an off and back on at the same time you press the shift button....
again.. I have no personal experience with it, but I imagine the principle is the same.
You are correct Sir!! :rolleyes:

As long as you are not still accelerating just hit the paddle to shift up . Once you get the feel of the throttle then a slight twitch of the wrist to drop the gas off is all that may be needed at slower speeds. I found out recently that I can blip the throttle on down shifts as long as I get the timing right ooohhhh nice .

This is what I like about this forum:

You can always count on a Gen I man's friendly and informational comment when it's needed.

I'm a Gen II AE rider, and I'm feelin' the love!

This is what I like about this forum:

You can always count on a Gen I man's friendly and informational comment when it's needed.

I'm a Gen II AE rider, and I'm feelin' the love!
That would be MadMike.....are his hands cold??? :p

What is a G2 Ergo Tube?

This is copy and paste from an earlier post by me.

Shifting in town from 1 to 2 -- smoothest way -- pulling away from a stop, as soon the bike is rolling and clutch has fully engaged, flick into 2nd with no throttle movement at all. Like maybe 15 feet from the stop, flick up. On the highway, hard accel, just the tiniest, briefest, very fast throttle twitch will get you very very smooth, fast upshifts with no lag. All you want to do is unload the clutch and gearbox for just a fraction of a second. Although you can upshift with no throttle twitch at all, it's smoother and faster the way I just described. I don't know why Yamaha ever said to roll completely off the throttle. That's just stupid, like they never even rode their own motorcycle. It took me a couple weeks practice to master the timing of the "twitch". I discovered it on my own, as I am sure others did also, now you have the benefit. Downshift, just close the throttle and flick down when appropriate. Fun.

What is a G2 Ergo Tube?

There are numerous posts on the G2 tube on this forum, just perform a search. And go here: https://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Tamer-Th...Yamaha-223.html

Also FYI... I was out riding almost all of yesterday (Saturday) in the beautiful crisp fall like weather here in the Cincinnati area. I practiced just using my foot to upshift and the left hand to downshift. Wow, am I ever getting this to smooth out. Time and practice certainly help. The G2 should help with throttle modulation, so when it is installed this week I should be hitting the mark almost every time. This bike just seems to get better and better. I think I'm going to add a Laminar Lip to smooth turbulence and a Stem Mount from TechMount to mount a radar detector.

One more thing. As I get smoother with the FJR, I can spend time honing my riding skills and work on being "smooth and fluid" with my riding. The FJR is one CAPABLE machine. I think Yamaha has it right when they say "Super Sport Tourer". Can anyone else add to the affirmative?