FJR1300AE Shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never a smooth shifter. That is what sold me on the AE where I get the smoothest shifts. I just bang through the gears and do not do anything special with the throttle. I guess that I may back of slightly on the throttle out of habit with my old low-tech bikes.

I have had my 07 AE for about three weeks now and agree. DO NOT close the throttle all the way. I found what works best (for me) is to use the foot lever to upshift. My right hand seems to know what to do in that scenario. Downshift with either. Once you are "in the zone" and do not think about it, smoothness will come. That said, a G2 Ergonomics tube is on the way. I'll post an update next week once I install it.
Please do, I'm looking to buy the G2 also, but was concerned about installing it with the heated grips.
I installed the G2 Ergonomics throttle tube for AE FJR's yesterday. Mind you I had grown really adept to low throttle input, shifting, etc. and I had become smooth. (It's not easy, but it can be done). Then after installation I went for a half day ride. Wow! What a change. I definitely recommend the G2 throttle tube. I was expecting (and planning) to have to buy a Power Commander III or V, but it's just so smooth and easy now. BTW, the heated grips were not an issue but you should be aware of a few things.

One, the grip's heaters are in the grip. Be easy with it. I had read MANY posts here and took my time. I used compressed air from my air compressor and got the grip to "baloon" a little to losen it. Then I used WD40 and a SMALL screwdriver under the grip and above the stock tube to distribute the WD40. (Some say DO NOT use oil, but I used a little and cleaned it immediately). It takes a while but then it comes off so easily. Clearance is there but TIGHT! The wire for the heated grip is so short but one can get the stock tube off and the G2 on. IMPORTANT!!! REMEMBER TO NOTE THE POSITION OF THE HEATED GRIP WIRE ON THE STOCK TUBE ASSY'. THE WIRE IS NEARLY IN THE 6 OCLOCK POSITION. I started to install the G2 with the wire in the 7:30 position and had to remove the grip from the G2 to re-adjust. You do not want to have to do this. Trust me. So, take your time, note position of all components before, during, and after and clean immediately.

Once completed and you have checked throttle operation and have made sure all tools are accounted for, then go ride. I am going out again today and "experiment". I loved the throttle response yesterday after fitting the G2. It's my opinion that the G2 will solve many, if not most, "jerkiness" issues.

Last edited by a moderator: