Free blog for you from me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRK

Reaction score
Well, some of you know me, many don't. Most probably don't want to. After all, I do associate with Fairlaner and a few of his likes....

Well for some time my wife has been bugging me about starting a blog to showcase her ride reports. Well, I created the site, she sorta started working on it and I am sure that she will when work for her slows down. Back to the point. I bought a domain, I host many sites so the server isn't an issue. What I thought I would do is offer free blogs to anyone FROM THIS SITE to have their own blog. It is still in the infancy, and I am sure I have some bugs to work out. So what I am asking for is a couple 3 of you that might want a blog that will actually do things in there to sign up and give it a go and help me work out the bugs.

I have it set up for a manual registration via a form on the site. I don't want to open it up to the world and every bot in the world to kill my server space and bandwidth.

So here it is, not polished all that great but give it a go. It is driven by wordpress. Popular, pretty easy and open source. The good thing is there is ALOT of free documentation on how to use it.

https://www.avidfjr.com Your site will be a subdomain of that. (www.YOURNAME.avidfjr.com) Again, it is free!

Ryan

Thanks! I will give it a test drive and see if this would be a good place to archive ride reports! :)

EDIT - The site does seem to be slow...I know it is free, but can I still complain?
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.. it seems to ping about 20MS slower that this site. Might be the java loading the images on the slideshow on the FP.

Very cool Ryan, Jeanette was telling me about this! I don't know WordPress but I've done 3 websites, all self-taught, so I should be down with it. ;)

Very cool thing to do for your FJR community, Ryan. I'm a-scared of anything remotely technical, so ah dunno, but. . . might be fun to give it a try. Please just tell me this: will it be the same process to post pics there as it is here? As in, do I need to load them to some hosting site, such as PhotoBucket, before they can be put up there? It would be good if it was easier somehow. But it would also be neat to give long-distance family peeps a "website" like this new one to check out my rides, etc. I've tried sending them to this forum to look at things I've posted, but they always get lost somewhere (my relatives aren't that smart). Anyway, thanks for putting it out here for us.

You can use the same type of code to put pics in like from photobucket or smugmug whatever. OR you can upload them to the server (slick little button to do that). I allowed 100 megs of space. Depending on the popularity, I can open that up more. just google how to upload a picture to wordpress and there is a ton of help.

How did I get drug into this? Well, you are my....... credibility? HAHAHAHAHAHA

The blog site seems to be working great. So if anyone else would like one, please go to www.avidfjr.com and sign up. Puppychow's is going strong.

This was a wordpress thing and when wordpress updated their software it grenaded all the software addons I had on there as well as the custom coding I did. The idea was great, but it is gone now. Sucks and I am sorry. Was trying to get a backup done on it to bring it back with no avail. Maybe I will do it again with some different software at another time. Crap.

Ryan, I took your suggestion and built one back up on blogspot from Google (link's on my signature). It is working great for now. Fortunately for me, I had email backups of my blog posts so recovering them wasn't too much of a pain. Hopefully this new blog is backed up by google? Not sure so I will continue to email blog contents to my Gmail as a backup.

Ryan's blog was also great while it lasted (until Wordpress grenaded it) - thanks for putting it up for us Ryan.