Thinking about selling my 2009. Would you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etcmjoe709

Reaction score
I have a 2009 with about 3000 miles (which I obviously don't ride enough already). I'm in western TN and going back to sea duty where I won't be able to ride at all for a year. After that, I'll be in the Norfolk area where there's even less to see on a motorcycle then there is here in Memphis. I think the wise person would sell it now. I love riding it when I do, but I guess I'm just not as serious a rider as I thought. What would you do? I have the Yamaha trunk, the Yamaha touring seat, the Yamaha touring winshield (and all the original equipment) and Yamaha grip warmers on it and I know that you never get the value back from accessories when you sell a vehicle, so I wonder if I'd even be able to get enough for it to pay it off. I owe about $10,000. Should I hold on to it?

Thanks,

Joe

If you are going to sell part out all extras so you can make a little more money off them and sell stock. Hopefully between both you can get everything you need to get even. Plenty people here on site that will buy your extras. Sell asap if gonna sell price may drop as winter approaches

Hell, I went to A school in Milligton back in 71. When you get to Norfolk, there are a ton of great roads about 1 1/2 hour to your west. Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, anything from Richmond west. Riding down the coast towards NC is also very nice. You would take a loss if you sell it but that is a decision only yoy can decide. We do have a few members in the Norfolk area that would probably show you some fine roads should you decide to keep it.

I'd sell it, doesn't sound like you're that into it. No offense, it just seems to make sense since you'll be deployed for a year. There's more for sale when you get back.

Hell, I went to A school in Milligton back in 71. When you get to Norfolk, there are a ton of great roads about 1 1/2 hour to your west. Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, anything from Richmond west. Riding down the coast towards NC is also very nice. You would take a loss if you sell it but that is a decision only yoy can decide. We do have a few members in the Norfolk area that would probably show you some fine roads should you decide to keep it.
+1 Great riding is nearby Norfolk .

You are at the tail end of riding season so I'd recommend you either sell quickly before you pack out, or put her away till you get off cruise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Master Chief there are all kinds of good roads fairly near the Norfolk area, or even things like shooting down the NC Outer Banks. And going West a little bit accesses some great riding.

Can't tell you the best decision of whether to sell and get another one when things slow down, but don't let the thought of no roads do the deciding. Shoot, stay in touch and we can probably scrounge up a crew to meet you for an outing sometime - I even have a base sticker on mine!

What kind of ship?

CSC(SS)Ret

I'd sell it, doesn't sound like you're that into it. No offense, it just seems to make sense since you'll be deployed for a year. There's more for sale when you get back.
+1 Sell the extras each, and the bike. You will get to what you owe faster.
I agree...Sell it as you've not used it much and its almost new and should sell easily. Letting it sit for a year will only result in the bike depreciating even more. Bill

Master Chief there are all kinds of good roads fairly near the Norfolk area, or even things like shooting down the NC Outer Banks. And going West a little bit accesses some great riding.

Can't tell you the best decision of whether to sell and get another one when things slow down, but don't let the thought of no roads do the deciding. Shoot, stay in touch and we can probably scrounge up a crew to meet you for an outing sometime - I even have a base sticker on mine!

What kind of ship?

CSC(SS)Ret
It would be in storage with my household goods for a year while I'm on a CVN (I'm a reactor operator). I realize there are some nice places to ride in the Norfolk area but you have to go some distance, and deal with the area traffic. I think I'll take the majority advice and sell it.

It would be in storage with my household goods for a year while I'm on a CVN (I'm a reactor operator). I realize there are some nice places to ride in the Norfolk area but you have to go some distance, and deal with the area traffic. I think I'll take the majority advice and sell it.
Good decision I'm sure; no good to let it sit. If you get another one, sign on and let us know!

CVN, dang, your chief's mess is bigger than the crews of what I was on! I did some shipyard work @ Norfolk NOB back in the 80's; worked on the JFK, Coral Sea, and a little bit on the new (at the time) Teddy Roosevelt.

The biggest depreciation occurred when you drove this bike out of the showroom. Based on current resale depreciation rates, your low mileage 2009 is worth about 10K, and that won't be easy to get. Your bike will depreciate about $1200 per year, regardless of miles based on current trends. You do the math and decide if a depreciating asset is worth keeping. The price of re-entry is always based on a 2009 FJR with low miles. If this decision is based on one-year with the opportunity to ride the Outer Banks and Blue Ridge next year, I would keep it. It is marginal either way economically.... how attached are you?

Shit, why don't you take that thing with you, that ships big enough you could ride all day on that sucker !!!! Hell, you could make a world record launch and speeds if you hook up to that catapult :D

800px-USS_Enterprise_%28CVN-65%29.jpg

And my most important reason to post Sir - is to thank you for your service !!! :clapping: :yahoo:

It can never be said enough !!!! "Get Some" for me.

I am in Jackson TN. I am looking for an FJR. I wish my budget allowed me to make offer that was not insulting.

From an ex Navy guy (AO3) thanks for the service.

I have a 2009 with about 3000 miles (which I obviously don't ride enough already). I'm in western TN and going back to sea ...... Should I hold on to it?

Thanks,

Joe
I'd be more than happy to store it and keep it up and running should you decide not to sell.

I have a 2009 with about 3000 miles (which I obviously don't ride enough already). I'm in western TN and going back to sea duty where I won't be able to ride at all for a year. After that, I'll be in the Norfolk area where there's even less to see on a motorcycle then there is here in Memphis. I think the wise person would sell it now. I love riding it when I do, but I guess I'm just not as serious a rider as I thought. What would you do? I have the Yamaha trunk, the Yamaha touring seat, the Yamaha touring winshield (and all the original equipment) and Yamaha grip warmers on it and I know that you never get the value back from accessories when you sell a vehicle, so I wonder if I'd even be able to get enough for it to pay it off. I owe about $10,000. Should I hold on to it?

Thanks,

Joe
I would sell it. You owe ALOT of money for something that is not being used.

Thanks,

Joe
Keep it! I think you'll find you'll ride it more when you get to Norfolk. I grew up in coastal NC. You can take VA State Rd 168 from Chesapeake down into NC where it becomes NC 158 to the Outer Banks. Then travel NC 12 down the entire coast line of NC. Ferry rides and great scenery along the route. I wish I could still ride along those roads!

Thanks,

Joe
I would not make a snap decision, but ask yourself a few questions.

Why did I buy a FJR. Are the reasons for buying the FJR still valid today or has life changed and has altered my desire or want to ride.

I will be going to sea for a year. Do I have a safe place to store/garage the bike for a year.

Do I need the money or is it relatively simple for me to make the monthly payments on it.

It is Fall and will take somewhat of hit for the sale in non-riding months. This may not be applicable for VA (I am from the Northeast)

Will I be buying another bike when I return and will it be a sport touring bike or would I look to buy something else.

Since I am shipping out to sea, do I have someone I can trust to handle the cash end of the transaction while I am gone upon a sale. (I don't know how long you have, but sales do not necessarily happen over night or on your time schedule.)

What are the chances that I will regret selling the bike. But on the other hand, it is just a bike, and I can purchase one when I get back.

Is this my idea to sell the bike or did someone ask me why are you holding onto the bike if you are going to be gone for a year. Otherwise I would not have given it a thought keeping the bike for the year.

Only you can answer these types of questions.

Most important Thanks for the service to our country !!

Willie

Thanks,

Joe

Just re-reading your post, it sounds to me like you answered your own questions--both of them. The one about keeping the bike, and the one about parting out the farkles.

One other thing to consider that you didn't mention is storage. Where would you store it, and would you have to pay extra to store it? Twelve months of storage isn't really cheap, even if you're only talking about the difference between a smaller storage unit and one big enough to take the bike too. Whatever you do, good luck with your decision, and good luck with your deployment.