Novice attempt at GoPro mount...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBilldo

Reaction score
Okay so let me start off by saying I am certainly no rocket scientist. My only experience with vibration isolation is via the air conditioning industry - big air handlers, etc. So I am trying to make a mount that will reduce some of the vibration the camera picks up on bad roads. My first experience was with the camera on the suction cup mount stuck to the front of the tank. Pretty good on smooth roads; picked up some vibration on rough roads. Also I wanted to get the camera back a few inches and up a bit more. So I ordered the gadget/GPS mount for my Bags Connection City Tank bag, which I love by the way.

My approach was to separate the camera from the mount with a 1/4" layer of sorbethane and allow a top plate to "float" on top of the sorbethane. For this first crack at it I used the mounting plate that the camera comes on while its in the display box. The plate is held down with springs that allow it to move up on shoulder bolts if I hit a big bump or run over a smart car. Some pictures...

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

In the 4th picture you can see the springs in action.

I know some vibration can be removed with software. Just had some extra time on my hands.

If anyone out there has had any success with vibration reduction - short of spending a zillion dollars on a steadicam rig or something - please chime in. Also disregard the crappy workmanship and the messy garage as I was in a hurry.

Thanks!

b

Okay so let me start off by saying I am certainly no rocket scientist. My only experience with vibration isolation is via the air conditioning industry - big air handlers, etc. So I am trying to make a mount that will reduce some of the vibration the camera picks up on bad roads. My first experience was with the camera on the suction cup mount stuck to the front of the tank. Pretty good on smooth roads; picked up some vibration on rough roads. Also I wanted to get the camera back a few inches and up a bit more. So I ordered the gadget/GPS mount for my Bags Connection City Tank bag, which I love by the way.

My approach was to separate the camera from the mount with a 1/4" layer of sorbethane and allow a top plate to "float" on top of the sorbethane. For this first crack at it I used the mounting plate that the camera comes on while its in the display box. The plate is held down with springs that allow it to move up on shoulder bolts if I hit a big bump or run over a smart car. Some pictures...

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

I know some vibration can be removed with software. Just had some extra time on my hands.

If anyone out there has had any success with vibration reduction - short of spending a zillion dollars on a steadicam rig or something - please chime in. Also disregard the crappy workmanship and the messy garage as I was in a hurry.

Thanks!

b
Looks like nice work. You may want to look into photobucket.com. You can actually embed your pics & I'm pretty sure video too, directly into your message body instead of just a link. Also: "Smile Out Loud" at the Smart Car comment. :)

Ok, I will see if I can imbed a video stored on my free photobucket account. Hopefully we will see it below.

Nope, the 'embedding' code did not work. Maybe the forum does not support flash. However if you click the image below you will view the video on the photobucket.com site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Thanks!

b
The little I know about this subject is that you need to choose the springs carefully. They might not do anything to eliminate vibration if they are too stiff - they will just vibrate along with the bike and may make the problem worse if they cause "bouncing".

You need to "dampen" the motion - cause it to slow down or stop more quickly. A thick layer of soft foam can work (double sided foam tape for example).

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Thanks!

b
Intersesting mount. Looks nice. But...

If I'm correct in assuming the cam is mounted to the bag and the bag to the bike (via magnets/straps/what have you), I don't think this will get the results you're after. The steadiest shots come from the steadiest mounts. For example, take a stationary tripod, add the rubber plate you've fabricated, and if the tripod is jarred, the camera can now move more, not less. On the bike, look for a rock-solid mounting surface first, not something squishy like a tank bag. Handlebars, footpegs, luggage rack, even body work. Then keep your mount as short as possible. Longer mount=longer lever. A longer lever magnifies the motion from the secured end to the outboard end where the camera is mounted.

Ya'll are a trip. Just use the helmet mount and the suction cup mount that comes with the camera anywhere on the bike. No matter where I put the GoPro it never vibrates. :huh:

Talk about trying to reinvent the wheel! :D

Ya'll are a trip. Just use the helmet mount and the suction cup mount that comes with the camera anywhere on the bike. No matter where I put the GoPro it never vibrates. :huh:

Talk about trying to reinvent the wheel! :D
I never trust the suction cup mount - especially on a motorcycle where it will be subject to vibration, wind, temperature variations etc.

Even in my car, my GPS suction cup mount gives out after a week or so.

When I was out in Kali last May...I used the suction cup on the front left side fairing. I, too, was very skeptical...and had an emergency lanyard on the camera. That suction cup never failed in 4000 miles of various riding. I would still use the lanyard as a safety...but the suction cup works as the camera is non-existent weightwise and exerts little force on the suction cup connection.

I never trust the suction cup mount - especially on a motorcycle where it will be subject to vibration, wind, temperature variations etc.
I felt the same way so I got some paracord and fashioned a tether out of it, even if the mount fails completely the tether will keep the camera in place.

I have used my GoPro suction cup mounted in several locations with no issues. Front fender, tank top and side, body panels, front of windscreen @ over 120MPH. Never has moved or came off.

Apples to oranges comparison. Not all suction cups are created equal. The GoPro one "locks" the suction into place with it's unique design. GoPro designed it specifically for motorsports applications.

I have used my GoPro suction cup mounted in several locations with no issues. Front fender, tank top and side, body panels, front of windscreen @ over 120MPH. Never has moved or came off.
+1

If it doesn't come off at 100mph I don't think it's going to come off.

GR is right. I used the suction cup and holy crap is it ever strong. My contraption worked, but not any better than the stuff that comes with the GoPro kit. Tried the helmet stuff yesterday and it works great too.

GR is right. I used the suction cup and holy crap is it ever strong. My contraption worked, but not any better than the stuff that comes with the GoPro kit. Tried the helmet stuff yesterday and it works great too.
Yep, I think GR is right too. He is also a pretty durn tight video editor. Check out his FJR flick on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/31670051 Also, my friend Juan Browne gave that suction cup a pretty good run for it's money on the port wing of a Beach Bonanza. Check out that flick here:

I have mounted the GoPro to the handlebars and topcase-mounted Pelican case on my FJR and DL-650 and haven't found vibration to be much of an issue. The extremely short focal length of the lens allows the camera to vibrate a good bit without resulting in a disturbing amount of jiggling in the video.

I mounted to the clutch perch mirror socket with a RAM ball on the FJR and to the Pelican top case with a standard, diamond-shaped RAM ball base. The camera is attached with a RAM arm and a tripod mount adapter to the mounting socket on the camera housing. Videos come out quite smooth and with decent sound.

Tried to attach a link that will allow a look at one of the videos, but no luck.

I Mmount mine to the sliders using a roll-bar mount and only have vibration as you go thru certain RPM's......

R

My suction cup let loose and camera went for a 75 mph skid rash on US395. Fortunately it stopped in the center of the lane (oil an alley) and wasn't run over. I'll tether from here on out..

My suction cup let loose and camera went for a 75 mph skid rash on US395. Fortunately it stopped in the center of the lane (oil an alley) and wasn't run over. I'll tether from here on out..
Man that blows ass! Did just the outer case get trashed or the camera inside as well? I think I'll tether and just have one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know that the camera can stay attached on the suction cup mount at the red line in 5th gear...or atleast it appeared that way on my dreamy ride to Kali and back. In any case, I always supply an emergency tether cuz I don't like buying new things twice. :)