Two Brothers = too LOUD!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2wilson

Reaction score
Well, I was shopping around for a nice set of splip on's and couldn't make up my mind. I was leaning towards the holeshot slip-ons, but then saw a set of Two Brothers M2 black series. It was the first exhaust system that I saw that I really liked the look of. Well I got them in and good God are they loud! Not sure what I am going to do yet. I ordered them through motorcyle superstore and they said I can return them still. Just tring to deceide if I should return them or spring for the tips to quiet them down. The tips are $80, so I may just return them. The only problem with that is I followed the instructions and they have you use gasket maker during install and I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to remove the slip-on from the mid-pipe with out any damage/marks. Anyone have any idea's how to get the two apart, without it being obvious they were together?

They have two options for tips. The one I am considering is:

My link

The other option is:

My link

I'm just not sure they will quiet them down enough. I'm only 30, but God do I feel old right now!!!

This is the exhaust I got:

My link

I read all the reviews and was concerned, but I called two brothers and they said that all their exhaust are about the same as far as sound level.

I am so old I prefer a quiet ride so have stock exhaust. I am so old I rarely use all the FJR stock performance. Quiet is good for me. I make enough noise with my mouth running when I am off the damn bike! ;)

These come in a variety of sizes, some with free wine included. And very reasonably priced.

french-wine-corks-thumb8686709.jpg

Or I'll trade a set of gently used '05 OEMs. Let me know. (I LIKE how the 2-Bs sound).

They should come apart, I would try the tips first.
I'l second that! I have a friend that had a ST1300 with Two Bros. Without the inserts it was indeed "TOO LOUD" but with was just about right. You will be amazed what a difference they make.

I can't speak to how loud the 2Bros are on the FJR. But I absolutely, guarantee that the 2Bros I have on my CBR250R will make yours sound like an electric vehicle. *EVERYBODY* says to loud! Even HD guys say to loud! Get it? LOUD

Ticket me first!

IMG_0576.jpg

After I realized they are deafening and reading that 2Bros skimps on the packing I bought some with the intent of repacking it. After disassembling I found that the packing was stuffed in their tight. No way I could get a single ounce more in there.

Then I spent $35 on the P1X (I think it was) quiet tip. That knocked the sound down about .02 decibels.

Then I tried an old chopper trick. I got a big thumb screw and mounted that in the stock tip. Unbelievable, it got louder still! Turning it to a 45 degree angle helped a lot. But not enough.

IMG_0581-1.jpg

One last trick to try before I put the can up for sale.

I bought a Moen bar sink strainer that was a nice press fit into the stock tip. That's the ticket! I was worried about it having to much restriction though. I ended up drilling a 1/2" hole in the center. Perfect. Still has a good sound but will not shatter glass or set off car alarms.

IMG_0600.jpg

This is what it sounds like now. You can hear a crow cawing at the start to give you an idea of the sound level.

CBR250R with bar sink strainer

Maybe this'll help you out some.

Yes. they suck. send them to me. you won't hear a thing.

I have the M2 in aluminum... and have the P1X tips.

honestly love the 2BR pipes. the tips are for the neighbors.

they seemed to make them very tolerable to all the ultrasensitive complainers around here.

worth a shot.

I guess I'm old too, but Two Brothers pipes are the most obnoxious slip-ons out there.

If you like the look, try the tips for a little less NOISE...but stock is mo'better! ;)

--G

First off, I want everyone to know that I like the sound of these pipes, I just wish that the volume level was cut in half. They give the bike a nice rumble at ideal and almost a fomula one sound when you get the rpm's up there. I think I will try the tips. Until last October I have had Harleys since 2003 and all of them had aftermarket/really loud pipes. My wife says that I just got use to the quiet of a stock FJR and she maybe right. Thanks Bungie for the sound clip. After I posted I found a couple other ideas after a google search. I think I will get the tips and if that isn't enough then I will try your idea or one of the others I found.

Regarding noise levels.

If you have not already decided on which tips to get this may help.

The general rule is 3db will double (or reduce) the sound by 50%.

So the -3db tips should, in theory, reduce the volume by about 50%.

Hope that helps,

Jon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding noise levels.

If you have not already decided on which tips to get this may help.

The general rule is 3db will double (or reduce) the sound by 50%.

So the -3db tips should, in theory, reduce the volume by about 50%.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Thank you, that does help. I called two brothers cause I was trying to get an idea of how much their tips were going to take off the volume, but they were no help.

I thought you were leaning towards the Beowulf or Holeshot exhaust in a previous thread? I initially was leaning towards the 2Bros, but after Skooter sold the Staintune to Gary, I went through as many sound clips as I could for the 2Bros, Beowulf, and Holeshots. For me regarding price and sound, the Beowulf ended up as my final decision. They come with the removable baffle/silencer and have a "lifetime warranty", which I'm sure is only on workmanship. I would agree if you keep the 2Bros get their silencer. Personally I wouldn't sink drain it. IMHO

Earplugs. I also just installed the Two Brothers, and yes, they are loud. But with earplugs, they're just right. Now I can hear the exhaust when I'm cruising down the freeway.

I thought you were leaning towards the Beowulf or Holeshot exhaust in a previous thread? I initially was leaning towards the 2Bros, but after Skooter sold the Staintune to Gary, I went through as many sound clips as I could for the 2Bros, Beowulf, and Holeshots. For me regarding price and sound, the Beowulf ended up as my final decision. They come with the removable baffle/silencer and have a "lifetime warranty", which I'm sure is only on workmanship. I would agree if you keep the 2Bros get their silencer. Personally I wouldn't sink drain it. IMHO
Have you installed your Beowulfs yet? If so, your thoughts?

I was and I wish I would have, but then I saw these and really liked the look. Wish I would have went with either of the two, but hind sight is 20/20.