Lunasee Active Sidelighting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, but not my cup of tea. Did you read the mounting instructions? It uses a 'Light emitting rim tape'.

Interesting, but not my cup of tea. Did you read the mounting instructions? It uses a 'Light emitting rim tape'.

I think I figured it out. Put away your credit cards.

I believe theat the LER (light emitting rim tape) is just glow in the dark tape that is contantly being charged by the four (one on each side of each wheel) single point LEDs.

Glow in the dark tape costs something like $8 for 30 feet (amazon.com) and four small white LED's would probably run something like $15 - $20 (probably including wiring it up to a switch).

Still looks cool to me and you could just leave the LEDs off if you didn't want to glow (aside from being charged by ambient light from streetlights, headlights etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say I would buy reflective rim tape before I spent that kind of money.

Cool if it is your thing..................

Yeah - I had reflective rim tape on my CBR, but it only lights up when hit by headlights.

This is the squid in me showing through.

That's cool, but yes, for that price I'd be trying to figure out how to do it myself for MUCH less money.

"The ultimate in safety." Yet half their video is douche bags doing burn outs. Must make you more study to do that.

Just an observation.

That's cool, but yes, for that price I'd be trying to figure out how to do it myself for MUCH less money.
Four LD1-x: Little Dot SMD LED Accent Light - LD1-NW: Natural White LEDs (superbrightleds.com) = $8

polyester glow in the dark tape (amazon) = $8

wiring/switch = $10 ?

TOTAL = $26

Don't tempt me. I'll do it!

Probably need some resistors too. Sheesh, that's gonna run me like an extra dollar!

Good call.

It is not intended for applications to complexcurved surfaces, corrugated or riveted surfaces. It is not intended for

surfaces that are subject to gasoline spills or vapors and is recommended for

interior applications only.
And yea, I'd run it through my fuzeblock. :D

Yeah - I had reflective rim tape on my CBR, but it only lights up when hit by headlights.

This is the squid in me showing through.
Well isn't that the point? To be seen when another vehicle is around.

Sigh. My wife's aunt sent her old laptop with my wife up from Houston to have me clean and reload it. She also asked me to bump up the RAM in it (NEEDS IT BAD) while I'm working on it. So, last night, off to amazon I went and ordered up 2X1GB of Crucial RAM for it. Add to cart, check cart, hrm, that total is off. Oh wait, there's some gay glow in the dark rim tape already in the cart. Hrm. Checkout.

Just got the LEDs from superbrightleds.com

A couple pics:

DSCN4404.jpg

DSCN4405.jpg

DSCN4406.jpg

In the last two shots the LED was hooked directly up to a 12V battery. It's very bright - probably a good choice for other exterior and interior lighting applications (side bags, trunk, etc.).

Very small and low profile - roughly 0.3" square and 0.1" thick.

Glow in the dark tape is on the way. Probably tap into the power outlet in the glove box and put the switch in there.

Total cost - right around $25. I expect running the wiring might be the worst of it.

Nice, I got my tape but haven't ordered the LED's yet. I like those, might have to go get some. Too bad we aren't closer, we could get some vid footage together.

Oh yea, and wiring will be a cinch, right into the fuzebox. :D

Don't stop with just the wheels! Now you know how it works, you need to get it on your helmet and riding gear.

Tron%2BCostume.jpg