Looking for the perfect back seat bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a back seat bag to supplement my Givi. It'll only be used for clothes and things that could be easily replaced if needed on a trip.

I'd like it to be at least 40 liters (2400 cubic inches), but I'd like to limit the width to 20' or so.

Built in straps would be nice, but they're not essential. The anchor point will be a Givi SR357.

thanks

Look at Ortlieb bags. They are easily strapped to the bike and they are waterproof. Many of the folks I camp with swear by them.

I use an Ortlieb large dry duffel...it's practically bomb-proof. Watertight, 4700 cubic inches volume, and 24" wide. You can fit a lot of stuff in it and the two cinch straps at each end can actually loop around the pillion grab bars to secure it to the bike (I also use Rok Straps since I usually pile on other crap). Good bag.

Ortlieb-on-bike.jpg

I have the medium MotoFizz bag from the Aerostich catalogue ( https://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html ). It's expandable, reasonably waterproof even without the rain cover (I've never actually used the rain cover on mine), has a quick-detach system that makes it very convenient on the road, and has a bunch of other good features. Very well thought out piece of kit.

Not as simple and bombproof as the Ortlieb dry bags. Guess it depends what you're after. I've used both, and overall prefer the MotoFizz. YMMV, and all that...

Griff

I have the medium MotoFizz bag from the Aerostich catalogue ( https://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html ). It's expandable, reasonably waterproof even without the rain cover (I've never actually used the rain cover on mine), has a quick-detach system that makes it very convenient on the road, and has a bunch of other good features. Very well thought out piece of kit.
Not as simple and bombproof as the Ortlieb dry bags. Guess it depends what you're after. I've used both, and overall prefer the MotoFizz. YMMV, and all that...

Griff
I've searched every bag manufacturer that I'm aware of and have kept coming back to this one. Do the straps pull up short enough to use them on the SR357? The front could still be pretty long, but the rear will have to pull up pretty short.

Thanks

Griff
I've searched every bag manufacturer that I'm aware of and have kept coming back to this one. Do the straps pull up short enough to use them on the SR357? The front could still be pretty long, but the rear will have to pull up pretty short.

Thanks

I've not used it in place of the top box (I use it as a seat bag), but the straps will shorten to a few inches long so it oughta work. I'll head out to the garage later today and try it, take a pic or three and post up.

Griff

Griff

Thanks

I've not used it in place of the top box (I use it as a seat bag), but the straps will shorten to a few inches long so it oughta work. I'll head out to the garage later today and try it, take a pic or three and post up.

Griff
I plan to use it as a seat bag too, but the forward bars on the SR357 would be pretty close to the back of the bag, but I bet it'd work fine. I'm just being paranoid. I've got an old Chase Harper I would use, but the straps are too long, and I just don't wan to hassle with it.

Thanks for the help.

Here's a picture of mine loaded up... https://yamaha-triples.org/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=1324&photoid=13064

I attach the rear straps to the Givi passenger grab rail and the front straps to the passenger foot peg brackets and then cinch it all up tight.

The bag comes with a spider-clip thingy that connects all 4 straps together tight on the seat when the bag is removed, so you can ride around after you've dumped the luggage somewhere without worrying about fiddling with the straps.

Griff

Tourmaster/Cortech makes nice bags. I don't think they make my specific bag anymore. It's made by Tourmaster... about 24" long, has anti-skid pad on the bottom & has hooks & bungees built into the bag to mount it on your bike. I have a Givi rack that the hooks fit on perfectly. It has a pocket on the front of the bag. You can side load the bag or top load it. It's a barrel type bag & the side pockets have zippers so you can divide the space or open it up to expose full length of the bag. Rain cover included. Cortech still makes a bag that is very similar. It looks like this: https://www.solomotoparts.com/Cortech-Tail-Bag/?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&zmam=92312807&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=19156_26333&gclid=CInPlYqLvrYCFUzhQgod2AoA_Q Good luck on your search.

My vote is for the medium motofizz. I love mine, the instructions are in Japanese and somehow the english instructions on a piece of white paper vanished but there are lots of pictures so it's really not hard to utilize.

My vote is for the medium motofizz. I love mine, the instructions are in Japanese and somehow the english instructions on a piece of white paper vanished but there are lots of pictures so it's really not hard to utilize.
Griff has me leaning that way as well. Thanks for the input.

Funny, but I used to tour on an FJ1200 with a pair of Chase Harper bags and a small tail trunk. And I got along just fine. What happened?!

Well, for one thing, my clothes are bigger now
rolleyes.gif

Cheap stuff sack from Wallyworld , gets used up about the time it gets dirty , chunk it and get another one..

I have three of the Sealine Baja Dry Bags, 20L, 30L, 40L, and I used to have a 55L. The 55 is huge, but will hold a second motorcycle jacket and pants as well as all the other gear you'd need. I just thought it was a bit too big.

The bags are totally water proof and lay neatly across the rear seat. I secure them with ROK Straps. I took the 40L on a recent trip to Death Valley on my KLR. On that trip I discovered that it is easy to open the bag while it is strapped to the bike. I switched out riding gear on the trail and everything stayed clean despite heavy dust from the 'road'. I'll definitely pack it in such a way that I can get into the bag without unstrapping it.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Camping-New-for-2012%7C/pc/105625080/c/107351280/SealLine174-Baja8482-Dry-Bags/1330461.uts?WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google|All+targets|USA&WT.z_mc_id1=sRAkPKKTj&rid=20&gclid=CKiq4qatvrYCFdE-MgodDDMABQ

Last edited by a moderator:
I favor the Nelson Rigg "Survivor" series...it is waterproof without needing a rain cover

Living in Southern Looziana, it rains a lot

I also have the optional "roll bag" which attaches to the top of the big bag

I use mine mostly to carry emergency first aid stuff, a towel, and rain gear

It really is my back rest

When I travel, I stuff it with clothes in expensive luggage (white kitchen flex garbage bag)

I really really like it, so much as if it was damaged, I'd replace it

this is the current model(s)

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/124/37248/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Survivor-Series-CTB-650-Solo-Tourer.aspx

my bag is like 5 yrs old - and still going strong

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8108/8625070717_4a52a48ae8_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tourmaster/Cortech makes nice bags. I don't think they make my specific bag anymore. It's made by Tourmaster... about 24" long, has anti-skid pad on the bottom & has hooks & bungees built into the bag to mount it on your bike. I have a Givi rack that the hooks fit on perfectly. It has a pocket on the front of the bag. You can side load the bag or top load it. It's a barrel type bag & the side pockets have zippers so you can divide the space or open it up to expose full length of the bag. Rain cover included. Cortech still makes a bag that is very similar. It looks like this: https://www.solomotoparts.com/Cortech-Tail-Bag/?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&zmam=92312807&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=19156_26333&gclid=CInPlYqLvrYCFUzhQgod2AoA_Q Good luck on your search.
I have that same bag under the Cortech name and really like it. I don't think they make it any more, I could not find it on their website. I lost the raincover last year somewhere on the MS/AL border and really need another one.

Late to the party, but another vote for the Medium MotoFizz. I've had mine for 8 years on three different FJRs and it's still my favorite for ease of packing and access while on the road.

Spendy... but you'll be happy with it!

--G