Looking for the perfect back seat bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late to the party, but another vote for the Medium MotoFizz. I've had mine for 8 years on three different FJRs and it's still my favorite for ease of packing and access while on the road.
Spendy... but you'll be happy with it!

--G
I also have the medium MotoFizz and have used it on the pillion seat of an FJR and Concours 14. Very well thought out except for the rain cover which is pretty useless. It's like a big shower cap that does not fit well and there is no way to run the tie-down straps through it so you have to use ROK straps to try and keep it on over the straps and that does not work very well with it flopping around in the wind. I can't believe a classy outfit like Aerostitch/RiderWearHouse has not improved on this flaw. Has anyone that has one of these figured out a better way to put a rain cover on it?

On my ZRX, which I do weekend tours on, I pack inside my soft luggage in trash bags. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it works. I did the same thing on my FJ1200 for ten years with Chase Harper stuff. I know some of the luggage recommended here is truly dry, but I like the strap system on the MotoFizz. Based on the recommendations here, I'll probably go that route.

I sure appreciate all the input.

Medium Motofizz for me!

2538787118_410e3343ee_z.jpg

Tourmaster/Cortech makes nice bags. I don't think they make my specific bag anymore. It's made by Tourmaster... about 24" long, has anti-skid pad on the bottom & has hooks & bungees built into the bag to mount it on your bike. I have a Givi rack that the hooks fit on perfectly. It has a pocket on the front of the bag. You can side load the bag or top load it. It's a barrel type bag & the side pockets have zippers so you can divide the space or open it up to expose full length of the bag. Rain cover included. Cortech still makes a bag that is very similar. It looks like this: https://www.solomotoparts.com/Cortech-Tail-Bag/?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&zmam=92312807&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=19156_26333&gclid=CInPlYqLvrYCFUzhQgod2AoA_Q Good luck on your search.
I have that same bag under the Cortech name and really like it. I don't think they make it any more, I could not find it on their website. I lost the raincover last year somewhere on the MS/AL border and really need another one.
I have this one too. I like it a lot. The built in bungees can be store inside the bag and you can use it as a carry on bag on airline flights if needed.

GP

Gotta break away from the pack on this one. What you want is a bag that has a lot of room, easy access, and is absolutely waterproof. The Motofizz gives you two out of three. After trying and abandoning other options, I finally found the Dry Pak waterproof duffel. Here's one source; it comes in several sizes. I have the extra large, and it holds ALL my camping gear: tent, poles, sleeping bag and pad, cook gear, plus spare shoes, etc. Everything. It's so waterproof it's literally submersible.

11239-2T.jpg

The material is a very tough rubberized-feeling fabric (the web site says polyester/vinyl) that rolls up two or three turns for a complete seal. In fact, if the bag is less than stuffed, just roll it up tighter to make it less bulky. You can draw it up tight with four straps on the ends and over the top. The thing I've found I like best about it is at night I put all my riding gear in it--jacket, helmet, boots, etc, (even my really bulky Cycle Port jacket and pants) and seal it back up, and just leave it outside the tent. Camping on the foggy coast when you wake up and everything's soaked, or even if it rains (I do try to avoid that), everything inside is totally dry, and there's all that extra room in the tent. The opening is huge for easy packing and removal. It isn't easy to get stuff into or out of while on the road, though. That's why it's for my camping gear--stuff I don't need till I stop for the night.

Once it's strapped down on the back seat (definitely Rok Straps), it makes a great back rest too. Oh, and it cost me about fifty bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find and bag SacMike. I also have an Ortlieb dry bag packed in addition to the medium 'Fizz when I really need storage...ya gots to have options!

On my ZRX, which I do weekend tours on, I pack inside my soft luggage in trash bags. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it works. I did the same thing on my FJ1200 for ten years with Chase Harper stuff. I know some of the luggage recommended here is truly dry, but I like the strap system on the MotoFizz. Based on the recommendations here, I'll probably go that route.
I sure appreciate all the input.
OldGuy, you'll be happy with the 'Fizz and all the storage options it provides. Happy traveling!!

--G

["SacramentoMike" Gotta break away from the pack on this one. What you want is a bag that has a lot of room, easy access, and is absolutely waterproof. The Motofizz gives you two out of three. After trying and abandoning other options, I finally found the Dry Pak waterproof duffel. https://www.shadetreepowersports.com/Dry-Pak-Waterproof-Duffel-XL-p/11239.htm?gclid=CJqnpbD2yrYCFQ9dQgodjxQAnQ&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds]Here's[/url] one source; it comes in several sizes. I have the extra large, and it holds ALL my camping gear: tent, poles, sleeping bag and pad, cook gear, plus spare shoes, etc. Everything. It's so waterproof it's literally submersible.

[img=[URL="https://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/hvnfm.gwnaf/v/vspfiles/photos/11239-2T.jpg?1351184163%5D"]https://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/hvnfm.gwnaf/v/vspfiles/photos/11239-2T.jpg?1351184163][/URL]

I like it!