Question for those with Givi Top Boxes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
Next time you are out for a ride, reach back and feel the box and let me know how much movement you feel.

After my subframe cracked with my Shad on it, I've added a Givi SR357 to my bike and am working with Gerauld on possibly making a plate to move the Shad forward on the 357 as the Shad sits too far back.

Thing is, I needed it for stowing my gear at the MotoGP race this weekend, and even mounted solidy on the 357, the trunk is constant moving under vibes from the bike I guess. Even on smooth pavement it's rocking a half to a full inch forward and backward. That was with an empty case too. This could easily explain the subframe failure for sure.

I'm wondering if the Givi is more solid than the Shad, and if I should just sell this box and pick up a Givi, even though I like the features of the Shad better.

I have had no issues with my SH42 and Shad mounting plate...and I've had that thing loaded, many times

probably just jinxed myself...

Having had a factory, and Shad topcase and worked on a Givi, I have to say Givi and Yamaha cases are built a little stouter.

My Shad flexed probably double what the other two did.

I have had no issues with my SH42 and Shad mounting plate...and I've been had that thing loaded, many times

Fixed it for ya Joe!

I have a GIVI ( can't remember which model) and Givi rack. It doesn't move much at all and I too have had that thing overloaded. I added the rack to the top and have strapped stuff to that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Givi V46 mounted on the SR357 Givi rack. Been on the bike for close to 100,000 miles. Its often been packed to the gills to what is certainly above the recommended max load. It has also served as a solid back rest for pillion duty many times. It is still quite solid. But I did add a 5/16" bolt with wing nut to bolster the factory latch after reading hear that a couple folks lost their top case. I posted pictures way back when ever that was.

When I'm commuting, that top case carries a heavy back pack with my laptop, notebooks, thermos and lunch most days.

I've been very hqappy with the Givi and wouldn't hesitate to buy another when needed.

I've had the Givi SR357 rack on two FJRs, and had both the Givi E55 Maxia case and now the V47. Neither case moves more than a millimeter or two on the bike, either sitting still or at speed.

Life FJReady stated above, I've been very happy with Givi and wouldn't hesitate to buy another case from them if needed.

hi there....

I have the OEM and it does not move at all as far as I can feel....Are you sure that your Shad is not mounted too far back. I have observed that the OEM box is directly mounted on top of the rack and loads in it are directly on top of the 3 bolts of the rack...the overhang one sees looking from the side of the bike beyond the brake light is actually the hollow space between the double walls of the box. I have seen some internet articles about the shad boxes on FJRs showing them mounted and the overhang seems way too much for my comfort zone....this is from internet photos though..no actual measurements! just my 2c

R.

I have the Givi V46 and the 357 mount on my '07. I found that the box rattled over bumps. I put up with for awhile and even checked to make sure the previous owner installed everything correctly. I ended out gluing a couple of small bits of rubber to the mounting plate over the rubber bumpers that were already there. It tightened things up nicely and it is very steady now.

Are you sure that your Shad is not mounted too far back.
Actually, I'm positive it's mounted too far back. But sitting on the GIVI rack it SHOULD be solid, and it's not. Seems maybe the bag and the plate have some flex to them that is allowing it to move around. I was working with Gerauld on an adapter plate to move it forward on the GIVI rack, but you guys may have convinced me to spring for that sweet V47 Tech. Looking at dimensions, it's almost the same as the SH50. One inch one direction and a half inch the other way.

Thanks guys.

My givi top box is a small one (31L) and it stays put even when fully loaded. I should have bought the 46L but I use the top box for day trips and leave the panniers at home.

Dump the Shad. Save yer money on custom fabbed stuff. Gitcherself a new Givi E55. Worth every dime and ya can sell it any time on this forum. Fits two full face helmets. Besides, if you EVER get around to coming over to visit me here in Florida, yer gonna need something solid behind ya soes ya don't have to worry about a loose top box.

Gary

darksider #44

If only the E55 wasn't so butt ugly.

I do like that I can unlock the shad so I don't need the key for it, heck, it's barely ever locked. When my laptop is in it, I'm riding. While at work it has my suit in it. If someone wants my 10 year old smelly olympia suit, they can take it.
biggrin.png
It's a nice feature. And it holds two full face helmets too.

Of course, for what I can sell it for, I can pick up that sweet looking V47 tech for only a bit more. Looking like the way to go, especially since the cost of the mount is already done.

I've got the V47 on the 357 plate and It's pretty solid. Will move a little, but solid enough for my wife to lean on with comfort. Chose the V47 because there were lid covers in the matching colors.

Like many others, I have a Givi V46 mounted on the SR357 Givi rack. It is a very nice setup and the rack itself is steel and seems to help strengthen the sub-frame. Mine is usually half full with the stuff I like to have with me all the time, and I stuff it to the max when travelling.

There are rubber feet on the bottom of the bag that sit between the bag and the mounting plate. I have had those come off and then the bag does rattle a little, but is still secure.

I have had no issues with my SH42 and Shad mounting plate...and I've been had that thing loaded, many times

Fixed it for ya Joe!

I have a GIVI ( can't remember which model) and Givi rack. It doesn't move much at all and I too have had that thing overloaded. I added the rack to the top and have strapped stuff to that as well.

Another one here.

Fixed it for ya Joe!

Another one here.
Another one what?

Baja015.jpg

You cannot go wrong with the GIVI SR 357 rack and either the 52 or 55 liter GIVI top cases, I have ridden some of the crappiest roads all over Mexico and Canada (worse than Owosso, MI!) with the top case heavily overloaded and that combination has held up like a champ! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Hombre!

Last edited by a moderator: