Step 1: Remove the Headlight Knob

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the inner-front panel, and step 1 of the process (page 4-7 for those following along at home), says to remove the headlight adjustment knob.

And that's it.

I've been pulling on the knob, and I've even tried to pry it up a little, but it hasn't budged.

Is there a secret, or do I just have weak, girly hands?

For the record, it is a set screw.

The Yamaha manual is going to be a little useless for this.

I'm going to hang up my wrenches for today, and tackle this in the morning when I'm fresh. I'll photograph the process for posterity.

Yeah Mate it comes off really easy , just remove that screw and it will just pull off then unscrew the 18mm nut , no need to touch the " knurled ring " is a lot easier to put back together if you don't .

That panel takes a bit of force to remove . what ya gunna do when you get it off , just curious

Of course she did!
flirt.gif

Did you just have to tighten it up, or did you end up replacing the mirror?

OK. The mirror is fine. However, the bracket where the mirror mounts is NOT fine.

I have cracked the bracket. As a temporary fix, I have Gorrilla glued it together.

There are a number of welders (who own welding equipment) in the family. I am working with them to shedule a time to produce a more permanent fix.

Are you happy that you have dragged the WHOLE EMBARASING STORY out of me?!?! ::runs in a corner and cries::

Oh, wait. I'm not a teenager any more.

OK. The mirror is fine. However, the bracket where the mirror mounts is NOT fine.
I have cracked the bracket. As a temporary fix, I have Gorrilla glued it together.

There are a number of welders (who own welding equipment) in the family. I am working with them to shedule a time to produce a more permanent fix.

Are you happy that you have dragged the WHOLE EMBARASING STORY out of me?!?! ::runs in a corner and cries::

Oh, wait. I'm not a teenager any more.
Don't you feel better...now that you've come clean?

I haven't looked at the Gen III, but on my Gen II I have never taken those knobs off. Like HRZ mentioned, I find it easier to just disconnect the "speedometer" cable that's connected to the back side of the adjuster and then pull the panel with knob/adjuster still attached. From the number of reports of stripped set screws on this forum, I think my method is more fool proof. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: