Step 1: Remove the Headlight Knob

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't looked at the Gen III, but on my Gen II I have never taken those knobs off. Like HRZ mentioned, I find it easier to just disconnect the "speedometer" cable that's connected to the back side of the adjuster and then pull the panel with knob/adjuster still attached. From the number of reports of stripped set screws on this forum, I think my method is more fool proof.
wink.png
+1

Also, I placed a zip tie on each cable below the knurled ring to prevent the darn thing from sliding down along the cable.

Take your time to make sure knurled ring doesn't cross-thread during reassembly. It helps to have a small, powerful flashlight to help get things aligned properly.

I haven't looked at the Gen III, but on my Gen II I have never taken those knobs off. Like HRZ mentioned, I find it easier to just disconnect the "speedometer" cable that's connected to the back side of the adjuster and then pull the panel with knob/adjuster still attached. From the number of reports of stripped set screws on this forum, I think my method is more fool proof.
wink.png
That method does not work on the GenIII.

You have to get the inside panel off first before you can even get to the instrument cluster.

you had me at this -- the rest was a let down.

I've been pulling on the knob, but I have weak, girly hands

The Gen III screws (and therefore the knobs) are fairly easy to remove/reinstall with the caution that the screws are very small and therefore easily dropped. As small as they are, if one is dropped it will surely disappear into the parallel universe of your garage floor
search.gif

Amazingly, as many times as I've had the panel off (requiring removal of said knobs) I've managed to not drop either of these screws. But there's always next time
superstition.gif

...if one is dropped it will surely disappear into the parallel universe of your garage floor...I've managed to not drop either of these screws. But there's always next time
superstition.gif
I'm pretty sure there is a hardware store in that parallel universe where the stuff I drop and the stuff you drop spontaneously shows up as inventory on the shelf.

Based on the near certainty factor, this may be some of the hardware that should be sitting in a doomsday part drawer along with some of the plastic fasteners of various types. I do know a couple of people that don't need to purchase hardware in order to have spares on hand because every time they work on their motorcycle they have parts left over that get put into a mystery parts drawer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
But I hurt my baby, my precious!
I dropped my friend's '05 2 years ago taking it off stand from the high side (nevermind why I made such a stupid mistake.)

Fast forward to last week when I bought said bike from him, still with some scars on the right saddlebag.

Chin up, wheels down!

But I hurt my baby, my precious!
I dropped my friend's '05 2 years ago taking it off stand from the high side (nevermind why I made such a stupid mistake.)

Fast forward to last week when I bought said bike from him, still with some scars on the right saddlebag.

Chin up, wheels down!
Soooo: Did you ask him for a discount for the paint damage?
unsure.png

Don

No, but he found fantastic deal on new matching fairing/cowl to bolt on; I paid, he labored.

Saddlebag still has the scratches that will eventually be repainted and/or covered w/ ScotchLite.

And yes, he gave me a hell of a deal for leverage with the (originally) disapproving spouse.

After a 16 year hiatus, I'm back on 2 wheels again!