Three RRs in One

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Cool day! Roseville Yamaha hosted the Yammy demo truck today (and tomorrow). Figured Friday would be quieter than Saturday, so I went out today. Turns out there really is a Scooter G and he was one of the ride leaders. They'd scouted out a terrific route east of Roseville with plenty of curves and smallish hills, and the loop took almost a half hour--a very sporty test ride. Greg and Nick, the other leader, set a very brisk pace, right up to the very edge of the legal speed limit. And then blew through it like a cloud of gnats. ;)

So I rode an FZ-09, a V-Max, and a purty red FJR. The first one was scary fast all right, especially in mode A, the sporty one, and more comfortable to ride than I'd expected. The short wheel base took a little getting used to, and the constant head-snapping throttle response will probably give me a stiff neck for the next week, but boy, that thing has some acceleration. I would so love to take it out for a track day.

The V-Max just felt very very powerful. Neither bike has the rated hp of an FJR, but whether it's the gearing or the weight, they both felt like they'd kick an FJR's ass. Both also very fun to ride. With this one, you didn't get the snappy acceleration of the 09, but holy cow, it just keeps winding out when you open the throttle. That one, I'd like to take to the Salt Flats or somewhere.

Then the FJR. What can I say? Of the three, it's definitely the only one I'd trade my old broken down 80,000 mile '05 for today, farkles and all, no questions asked. I had the ES model, but didn't really have any way to compare the various available riding modes--just picked one before the ride and that was it. Plenty of choices though. One passenger, two, with and without luggage, mountains or prairie, what's your pleasure? And the red is sure purty in the sunshine.

Anyway, it was a very fun day. Best part is, I really enjoyed the ride home on Old Faithful, too. :)

Thanks for the great photos, Mikey.

It was like friggin' BEING there.

grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The V-Max just felt very very powerful. Neither bike has the rated hp of an FJR, but whether it's the gearing or the weight, they both felt like they'd kick an FJR's ass.

Are you going by what Skooter said? Maybe I'm misreading your post, but the VMAX has a TON more HP. Like 166 HP and it will certainly kick the FJR's rear in acceleration!

Last edited by a moderator: