2014 FJR Bridgestone Tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have 1800 miles on my 14ES and plan a ride in May which will be approx. 3000 miles. That ride will entail some slab and a good deal of mountain terrain (NV,NM,CO). I would appreciate feedback from any of you who have a GenIII relative to tire life on the OEM Bridgestone tires. I believe Yamaha upgraded the tires. Do you think I will be OK for 5000 miles on these tires? I am not an overly aggressive rider. .

I got almost 8,000 out of my originals. Should have replaced the front at about 7,000 thou. I liked the way they handled wet or dry and went with the GT version for my replacements. When these wear out I am trying a set of T30's.

I say go for it!
punk.gif

I have over 8000 miles on mine and will probably be able to put another 3000 on them. I ride fairly aggressive in the curvies, but a lot of these miles were on flat terrain going to Colorado, Canada and Reno.

Thanks for the positive replies. I feel much more assured the tires will make the journey. Appears Jer is about to set a record for tire wear on original tires!

Riding style and ambient temperatures will have a lot to do with the tire lifetime as well as your own personal preference in terms of when you consider a tire to be finished. The other (unknown) factor is the condition of the roads travelled. Rough chipseal will eat tires twice as fast as smooth asphalt; especially in an aggressive ride. Assuming the roads are OK and you're not smoking your tires in the twisties, I would expect that you would be OK. There are guys that don't get 5,000 miles out of any tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 OEM Bridgestone 023 F: 6,150 miles until they needed replacement. You should have no issues with your trip. Enjoy.....

Riding style and ambient temperatures will have a lot to do with the tire lifetime as well as your own personal preference in terms of when you consider a tire to be finished. The other (unknown) factor is the condition of the roads travelled. Rough chipseal will eat tires twice as fast as smooth asphalt; especially in an aggressive ride. Assuming the roads are OK and you're not smoking your tires in the twisties, I would expect that you would be OK. There are guys that don't get 5,000 miles out of any tire.
here in PA we don't have the best road conditions. i do ride a lot of chipseal and at least 2,000 of the 5,600 i got were 2-up.

the new tires on my bike are the T30GTs, so far i am impressed with them. they turn in much easier and i like the stiffer feel of the tires.

I wouldn't run worn Bridgestones through the mountains of NM or CO. I would replace them before you head out and keep the OEMs for emergency replacements. I find it hard to believe they are still putting those on the new models. Mine came stock with Metzlers, those would probably be OK, but not the Bridgestones. PR3's are out the for around $300 a set if you look hard,

Good viewpoints from all. FJRs are notorious tire eaters. I ride mostly Northern Rockies twisties but some flat stuff occasionally, almost always two-up and loaded. Yes, the paving and ambient temperatures will be a major factor in tire life. Chip seal chews them up, as does 95 degrees. The BT023 rear I tried barely went 4,000 miles, running 40-42 psi. On the other hand, the best I've ever gotten from any rear was a PR3 - 6,500 miles and leaking air through the exposed cords. Currently trying to wear out a set of Pirelli Angel GTs. These, IMHO, are the best tires I've ever run. Currently at 5,900 on the rear with 1,000 left, maybe more. They feel wonderful and the bike seems to have shed 50-100 pounds. Handling has not deteriorated with miles, as I've seen with the Michelins. Given all that, I would spoon on brand new rubber before departure; then you'll have no worries. Keep the OEMs and run them out later. Too many times I have left on a trip confident I had plenty of tread, only to be searching for a shop with the right tire and paying full retail plus mount & balance.

Having read your thoughts, I am leaning toward running the Bridgestones. Here is my reasoning. After 1800 miles on the tires I still have only used less than 2/32 of the tread. Almost all those miles were on non slab riding. I will be riding one up with bags not loaded heavy. I weigh 145lbs and will not be riding aggressively or at speeds over 80mph. The only heat I expect will be in NV. I have never run out a set of Bridgestone tires however on Michelin PR2's I have been getting 12,000 miles on front and 15,000 miles on rear tires. I would think 5000 miles on these Bridgestones is a reasonable expectation.

Good viewpoints from all. FJRs are notorious tire eaters. I ride mostly Northern Rockies twisties but some flat stuff occasionally, almost always two-up and loaded. Yes, the paving and ambient temperatures will be a major factor in tire life. Chip seal chews them up, as does 95 degrees. The BT023 rear I tried barely went 4,000 miles, running 40-42 psi. On the other hand, the best I've ever gotten from any rear was a PR3 - 6,500 miles and leaking air through the exposed cords. Currently trying to wear out a set of Pirelli Angel GTs. These, IMHO, are the best tires I've ever run. Currently at 5,900 on the rear with 1,000 left, maybe more. They feel wonderful and the bike seems to have shed 50-100 pounds. Handling has not deteriorated with miles, as I've seen with the Michelins. Given all that, I would spoon on brand new rubber before departure; then you'll have no worries. Keep the OEMs and run them out later. Too many times I have left on a trip confident I had plenty of tread, only to be searching for a shop with the right tire and paying full retail plus mount & balance.
Been there done that last year at EOM thinking I could get 6000 miles out of a set of OEM BT023s.
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't say we didn't warn you. $300 spent on tires now will give un-measured confidence on the ride. I almost choose to go to Austin on tires with enough rubber left on them to make the distance in mileage, but the road conditions were far worse then expected and, here's the kicker, we hit rain, a lot of rain and with the old tires still on I would have been damn worried about going down. Old tires don't shed water very well, the tread is not deep enough to channel it out. Be safe brother!